Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This ought to take your mind off The Donald
Quote | Reply

NEW DELHI — A 10-year-old Indian girl who was raped by an uncle, and then lost her legal battle to have an abortion, gave birth on Thursday to a girl.
The girl, who was under general anesthesia while the baby was delivered by cesarean section, had not been told that she was pregnant and had no idea that she had given birth, doctors said. She was told instead that she had a kidney stone that needed to be removed.

https://www.nytimes.com/...ion-gives-birth.html

Sometimes you just don't know how well you got it until you look at other countries. No word if the Uncle is passing out cigars.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: This ought to take your mind off The Donald [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of repeated blows to the head getting a shot to the gut seems welcome. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: This ought to take your mind off The Donald [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Instead of repeated blows to the head getting a shot to the gut seems welcome. Thanks

"That actually feels good after the crotch"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does matter, and you failed to mention that India has a law that prevents abortion past the 5 month mark, which is why she lost the case. It's not like she was seeking an early term abortion and was denied.

The article also does not say how far past she was from that 5 month mark. She could have been well past it.

Horrible situation for sure, but at least she was anesthetized and didn't know she was even pregnant and the child will be put up for adoption.

ETA:

Actually it does say she was at least 7 months pregnant. At least .

No way should they should have allowed the abortion at that point.

Last edited by: Endo: Aug 17, 17 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: This ought to take your mind off The Donald [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also does not mention what happened to the uncle. So based off that article, I'm not sure where the India vs America outrage should be.

Now if you say the uncle is walking around and not in jail, then yeah, that's a big issue.

But, based on the info provided in the article you linked, you could substitute in USA for India, and I'd see no difference in how that might have unfolded in the US.

Again, horrible and tragic situation, but I'm not following how India is backwards in this (based off the info in the article).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
It also does not mention what happened to the uncle. So based off that article, I'm not sure where the India vs America outrage should be.

Now if you say the uncle is walking around and not in jail, then yeah, that's a big issue.

But, based on the info provided in the article you linked, you could substitute in USA for India, and I'd see no difference in how that might have unfolded in the US.

Again, horrible and tragic situation, but I'm not following how India is backwards in this (based off the info in the article).

You see no difference how that rape/pregnancy might have unfolded differently in the US? My mind is officially blown. You can't even kill a frog in first world countries unless you want to wind up in court...

"THE discovery of a single endangered frog has stopped a multi-million dollar upgrade under way on a notorious stretch of the Princes Highway."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the uncle will flee to Yemen anytime soon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-executed-AK-47.html
Quote Reply
Re: This ought to take your mind off The Donald [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I don't think the uncle will flee to Yemen anytime soon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-executed-AK-47.html

I now love Yemen. Damn, I miss justice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What am I missing here? How does a girl have a case in front of the courts to ask for permission to abort, if she doesn't know she's pregnant?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she didn't know she was pregnant, who put forth the petition for the abortion? Her family or the doctor? It only mentions the lawyer

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
It also does not mention what happened to the uncle.

The uncle was arrested and pending trial.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: This ought to take your mind off The Donald [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Endo wrote:
It also does not mention what happened to the uncle.

The uncle was arrested and pending trial.

you kind of restored my faith in humanity.

Quote Reply