Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I jacked up my bike. Help!
Quote | Reply
So I was flipping my stem this afternoon and was putting everything back together. Got the bars on straight and went to put the cap back on the very top of the fork. Hand started the screw and started tightening it with the torque wrench, but it never got tight. Next thing I know I'm pulling out the bolt with the piece it's supposed to thread into with it. So what do I do now?

For reference the bike is a Trek 1.5 (56 cm frame)

http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/...k-1.5-c-193031-1.htm

1. Do I need a whole new fork to fix it?
2. Any idea on the best place to buy a new one and are they size specific?
3. I'm guessing I shouldn't ride it on the road until I fix it.

I'm planning on getting a new bike during end of year closeouts/after my upcoming wedding so this bike probably only has another month or two before it gets moved to the trainer for good.

I'll post a picture if I can figure out how to do it from my phone.

Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by: Peaches0509: Aug 17, 17 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [Peaches0509] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was it just the star nut coming out of the top of the tube? if it is, that would be an easy fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unsure of which retention system the fork uses, but doesn't sound bad, you either need a new star washer or to tighten the expanding plug, either way no big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the fork all carbon? I don't think it is. You either have an expansion plug or star nut in your hand. Expansion plugs usually have a way for a larger allen wrench to re-tighten to the fork steerer. Star nuts are just hammered into the aluminum steerer.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the star nut got pulled out of the steerer tube. That happens.

Is this what you have?

http://www.bobs-bicycles.com/...1-8-inch-Starnut.jpg

Hammer the star nut back into the steerer tube. Wood or rubber mallet is best, with a setter tool. But if you don't have those you can use a piece of wood that fits into the tube, and a hammer.

Put the stem back on and all the associated hardware: spacers if any, top cap, dust cover, compression ring, bearing, upper race. (Assuming you didn't remove the lower race and bearing.) Then tighten the top cap into the star nut to only about 2 Nm. That's just to preload everything and remove the play. You don't want a loose headset! Then center the handlebars. Then tighten the (probably two, sometimes one) bolt on the stem to whatever the markings tell you to. Usually 6-8 Nm or so. Usually.
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup that's what I have. I'm going to give that a try quick and see what happens. Much better news than what I thought I was going to have to do. Thanks for the replies guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got it all back together and I think I'm good. Thanks for all the fast replies. I'm pretty new to wrenching on bikes and I thought I had screwed up pretty bad haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do check the preload after your rides for a bit just to make sure the star nut doesnt come loose and you develop play (you shouldn't) but just in case. Quickly checked.

I've had it happen to me when the glued in nut broke loose and shimmy up over time then the stem would creep up and play developed.
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the situation you describe sounds more like the issue was not having the stem tight enough.

The stem cap bolt is really there to set the preload and the stem locks it in place.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agreed with you had I not had the issue myself.

Cervelo P5 if you're curious. Torqued to spec. Aduro bars.

But do think that cap is there for some "backup" support. Otherwise why does any bike have a stem cap? Set preload and remove it it doesn't do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably did not irreparably break anything. But given your skill set (no offense!) I'd recommend letting a mechanic fix it. Get it wrong and, no kidding, it is broken bone action if your steerer snaps or your handbars come off!

If you pulled the star nut out, it really is a bike shop trip to get it put back in since you need a special tool to do it right and it takes some mechanical skills to improvise without the proper set tool. Plus, those things don't come out all that easy so you should have a pro inspect your steerer tube.
Last edited by: STP: Aug 18, 17 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran into the same issue when I built my bike. I thought I was losing my mind. I didn't have a star nut but and expanding plug type. It was frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed- off to a proper shop for you. Star nut has to be set properly.
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
I would agreed with you had I not had the issue myself.

Cervelo P5 if you're curious. Torqued to spec. Aduro bars.

But do think that cap is there for some "backup" support. Otherwise why does any bike have a stem cap? Set preload and remove it it doesn't do anything.

Aesthetics.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
In the situation you describe sounds more like the issue was not having the stem tight enough.

The stem cap bolt is really there to set the preload and the stem locks it in place.

When I first started working on my own bike I spent a year or two not understanding that simple concept -- what "preload" was for.

Much to my dismay...
Quote Reply
Re: I jacked up my bike. Help! [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
tri-tele wrote:

When I first started working on my own bike I spent a year or two not understanding that simple concept -- what "preload" was for.

Much to my dismay...

Yep the top cap is for preload. Then the stem bolt holds it all in place. Without the preload it would take two people to set the headset properly, or vise or something like that.

Crank is the same. The "dust cover" is for preload. Then the bolts on the non-drive-side crankarm are torqued and they hold everything in place.

Without the preload the components would be loose because the bolt torque that holds them together is perpendicular to the components. Loose components under variable stresses tend to get looser over time and then you crash and that's 2-3 months recovery, $20K to medical industrial complex, and a new bike.
Quote Reply