Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike rack recommendations
Quote | Reply
Have an old hitch mounted rack. Looking for a new one. Want to stay with hitch mounted (since I'm guaranteed to drive into a parking deck with bikes on my roof if I have a roof rack). Looking for one that will allow the back hatch of my SUV to open without having to adjust the rack. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [vomer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tons of threads on this but Kuat NV 2.0
http://kuatracks.com/products/hitch/nvtm-2-0/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 17, 17 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are going to have to adjust the rack to get into the rear hatch with any hitch mounted rack.
Now if lifting is the issue then Thule has a few swing arm hitch rack options where the bikes and rack swing out of the way rather then you having to lift and lower them as with a tilting set-up.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Kuat NV

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kuat NV can tilt down to allow you to open a door.

Example from google search:

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 17, 17 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thule T2 has similar tilt feature as the Kuat as shown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vomer wrote:
Have an old hitch mounted rack. Looking for a new one. Want to stay with hitch mounted (since I'm guaranteed to drive into a parking deck with bikes on my roof if I have a roof rack). Looking for one that will allow the back hatch of my SUV to open without having to adjust the rack. Any suggestions?

Not sure if you mean you want to get in the hatch with or without a bike loaded.

On most cars you can mount a single 1up tray, leave it folded up, and still open and close the hatch. Obviously with any style you'll have to tilt the rack down to open the hatch if you have a bike loaded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1UP hitch rack. Best choice by far. Accept no substitutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuat NV

<End thread>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember to consider where the release mechanism is for tilting the rack out with bikes on it. Kuat places it in a spot that requires you to reach through/around the bikes which is a recipe for a nice grease stain somewhere. I think the current Thule has it on the end where it is much easier to access. Just something to consider when shopping.
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Swagman Semi for the last 9 months, I have been very happy with it, it includes a locking hitch pin and integrated bike locks.
http://www.swagman.net/product/semi-2-0/

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a Kuat NV and Saris superclamp 2. Actually really like the superclamp and I got it considerably cheaper off craigslist. The Kuat is easier to get on the vehicle, and the superclap requires a wrench to get on. I like the 2 clamp system vs the rear wheel strap of the Kuat.
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [cranky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Nothing better than 1UP! I've had the Kuat.....1Up is lighter, easier to install, doesn't move around as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much appreciate the input from all.
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [cranky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cranky wrote:
1UP hitch rack. Best choice by far. Accept no substitutes.

My vote. Love the way it folds up into its shipping box for storage when not in use, if you're not one who's inclined to leave it on all the time. Also like the modular nature so you can set it up for only 1 tray for solo trips, or add as many as needed (within reason) instead of having extra trays on whether you use them or not.
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the 1UP, I had thule and kuat and I prefer the 1UP by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Superclamp EX from Saris would fit what you are looking for. I know a few people that are happy with it. I have the normal version and it is a great rack. The EX comes with the tilt function, and the wheel cups can handle a larger range of tire size.
Quote Reply
Re: bike rack recommendations [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge fan of both of my Kuats (2 inch NV w/ extension and 1.25 Sherpa) and they have provided top notch customer service on multiple occasions.

Have heard good things about the One Up, but have not used them personally. Don't know that I'd try them after Kuat earned my business for life.
Quote Reply