Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM with a watch and a bike computer - how to do this? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
Th4ddy wrote:
I'm assuming while cycling in ED mode, lap time would be the total bike time? I didn't realize it displays the fields on your watch. Once I had my power meter paired I didn't bother to set up the bike fields since I always used the bike computer. I'll have to give ED another shot, thanks!

If you have autolap off on the watch, it would be total bike time.

Extra tip: If the fields you want to use during a tri are different from those you would use during normal cycling, then you might want to duplicate the bike activity on the watch and edit the fields there (make sure that you also edit the multisport triathlon activity to point to this duplicate activity, and not the classic Bike activity).

Oh good tip. I just edited the stand alone Bike activity on the watch since my Multisport uses that one. I never use my watch for biking so I don't care how those fields are set up. I think this will actually be useful now that I know how I use the feature.
Quote Reply
Re: IM with a watch and a bike computer - how to do this? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear my watch for the swim, and I leave my bike computer on the bike. It’s in sleep mode, so soon as I start going it just turns on
Quote Reply
Re: IM with a watch and a bike computer - how to do this? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case anyone is having issues with Extended Display like I was...I contacted Garmin support and they confirmed that a recent software update broke the functionality. For me, I'm using a 945 watch with an Edge 530 computer. Their rep was able to reproduce my issues with some tester units they keep on hand.
Quote Reply
Re: IM with a watch and a bike computer - how to do this? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you usually do about using the bike computer on a Tri? Do you set it up before the swim and then hope it doesn't auto shutdown? Do you just use a watch for the swim and then the run later?

Before and the current data and analytics - we raced triathlons even full IM races with a wrist watch digital chronograph, and a basic bike computer. I know . . how did we do it?? :-)

I would start my wrist Timex watch at the start of the swim and then, once onto the bike just past the Mount Line start the Bike Computer and I would have it only on the distance function as that's all I really wanted to know - how far have I gone and how far do I have to go? Those were the basics that mattered. If I remembered I would stop the Bike computer at the end of the bike (giving me my bike split) - then hit the Lap function on the Timex watch heading out on the run - this would given me Run Split pacing info feedback using on-course distance markers and total time for the race.

All worked reasonably well for me - came very close to breaking nine house several times for IM! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next