Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Diesel Pickups vs Gas [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally unrelated question that I think is torque related. (And I apologize if my Hybrid question makes big truck people angry). I have a new Highlander Hybrid- it's tow rating is 3500 pounds vs the gas version is 5000 pounds (or 5500?). My Hybrid is rated at more HP and with the electric engine much faster off a stop.

Why does it have a lower tow rating than the gas version? Is it too hot off the line and it would damage something- is the transfer from electric to motor while pulling too hard on it? I have not been able to find this answer anywhere and I am curious. I was even told they were probably going to discontinue the hitch as an option on the hybrids (which I understand wiring is a bit of a PITA with batteries in the floor).

What does ST think?
Quote Reply
Re: Diesel Pickups vs Gas [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Just curious why you recommend not going with the Japanese option, I'm assuming you're referring to the Nissan Titan XD.

I've got a Titan 1/2 ton and it blows away any of the domestic 1/2 tons I've driven in the past. Daily driver, but I also have a construction business so it gets used to haul near capacity pretty much daily. Towing less so but always impresses me when I do need to pull something.

Unless something drastically changes, at least in the 1/2 ton market, I can't see myself owning a domestic truck again. I see a lot of the new 3/4 tons around, talk to the odd owner at the lumber yard and haven't heard a bad thing about them yet.

It does not look like they have adequate towing capacity for anything but the smallest 5th wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Diesel Pickups vs Gas [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Totally unrelated question that I think is torque related. (And I apologize if my Hybrid question makes big truck people angry). I have a new Highlander Hybrid- it's tow rating is 3500 pounds vs the gas version is 5000 pounds (or 5500?). My Hybrid is rated at more HP and with the electric engine much faster off a stop.

Why does it have a lower tow rating than the gas version? Is it too hot off the line and it would damage something- is the transfer from electric to motor while pulling too hard on it? I have not been able to find this answer anywhere and I am curious. I was even told they were probably going to discontinue the hitch as an option on the hybrids (which I understand wiring is a bit of a PITA with batteries in the floor).

What does ST think?

weight of vehicle comes into play. Would hybrid weigh a lot more? for instance a 4WD vs 2WD. Towing ratings are reduced by the extra weight of the 4WD even when you have same engine. Also what rear ends that are available make a difference.

Though maybe engine characteristics have more to do with it. Just thinking thinking weight could be part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Diesel Pickups vs Gas [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

What does ST think?
That's a good question. Knowing the JSAE tow certification tests, I don't think that one could point to one of those tests and say with some certainty, "that test would be tough for a hybrid". I wonder if the hybrid technology is perceived as not durable enough for heavier loads. Pulling, say, 8000lbs is a tall order for what is essentially a Camry. So maybe Toyota downrated it's towing capacity and it wasn't a matter of the standardized test.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply

Prev Next