Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Corsa Speed vs. Vittoria Pista
Quote | Reply

I finally got to try some Vittoria Pistas on the rollers. They rolled dead even with the Corsa Speeds, literally watt for watt on the rollers, which suggests if there is a difference on the road, it's well under a watt. That was surprising, given the differences:

* Pista is significantly lighter at 180 grams (vs. 240)
* The Pista tread feels a bit thinner
* The Pista tread is a little different - the center is slightly textured. There are slight grooves on one side of the center -- versus both sides on the Corsa speed. Presumably you're supposed to mount the tire according to the direction you go around the track -- though it's not clear to me if the grooves go on the inside or the outside.
* The Pista was indeed easier to mount on a wide rim.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed vs. Vittoria Pista [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

I finally got to try some Vittoria Pistas on the rollers. They rolled dead even with the Corsa Speeds, literally watt for watt on the rollers, which suggests if there is a difference on the road, it's well under a watt. That was surprising, given the differences:

* Pista is significantly lighter at 180 grams (vs. 240)
* The Pista tread feels a bit thinner
* The Pista tread is a little different - the center is slightly textured. There are slight grooves on one side of the center -- versus both sides on the Corsa speed. Presumably you're supposed to mount the tire according to the direction you go around the track -- though it's not clear to me if the grooves go on the inside or the outside.
* The Pista was indeed easier to mount on a wide rim.

So with all the above it is safe to say you are sticking with Corsa Speed on the rear?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed vs. Vittoria Pista [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, figured track tires would be FAST on the road, I just order a pair of Pista Speeds 23mm from PBK, going to try them out in a couple weeks during a 70.3, roads are pretty good for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Corsa Speed vs. Vittoria Pista [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Interesting, figured track tires would be FAST on the road, I just order a pair of Pista Speeds 23mm from PBK, going to try them out in a couple weeks during a 70.3, roads are pretty good for them.

I was a bit disappointed to see no difference. I will probably use the Pistas for my hill climb bike, since a pair saves 1/4 lb or so.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So with all the above it is safe to say you are sticking with Corsa Speed on the rear?

Most likely. At least until I get to test the tire-disc wheel interaction of the Corsa Speed and a few others. That would have to be in a wind tunnel, since field testing that would be too big a pain.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply