Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I agree he'll cut a deal and resign. Might take a bit of time but I'll wager it's before XMas.

I hope that happens at this point as that the cleanest path... I fear we will have the longest lame duck president ever.

The Republicans in Congress are a bunch of pussies and afraid to stand to do what's right (hell they won't even call him out, let alone take action), so impeachment is unlikely--- unless Mueller has a bomb to drop from his investigation, but that could be months away. So the articles of impeachment are going no where today.

The VP seems in lock step with POTUS (at least outwardly, as expected) and he needs to initiate the 25th Amendment and that the implications and fallout of that is problematic at best. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he and the other adults in the WH have already had that conversation.

As Old Hickory noted above, POTUS is "worthless these days" so we are already at lame duck... 7 months in.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you recall any other modern day president who had nothing in his background to qualify him for the job. And saying "but...he was a successful business man" aren't qualifications IMHO. We're seeing that now, even with a majority.

Yes and his name was Obama. I don't think being a "community organizer" makes you particularly fit to be the president of the most powerful nation on earth.

The difference is that Obama was a Senator so held elected office and being a community organizer at least showed he had some empathy for someone other than himself.

I think a distinction has to be made between running a private business and a public company. The CEO of a public company would be qualified to run for President (and I think would make a great President) because they have to deal with Boards, have years of being careful with their use of words and realize that they have to work with others (Board) to get things done.

Trump had none of that, and continues to operate alone and without input from others. In my view, that is what makes Trump uniquely unqualified.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Trump had none of that, and continues to operate alone and without input from others. In my view, that is what makes Trump uniquely unqualified.

I think what makes Trump uniquely unqualified is Trump, not his background.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I agree he'll cut a deal and resign. Might take a bit of time but I'll wager it's before XMas.

i suspect you're right - trump doesn't strike me as having much grit and i don't see any reason to think he'll want to tough it out indefinitely.

i've suspected from the start that trump doesn't actually want to be president. there's very little about the actual day-to-day of the job that appeals to him. it's all consensus-building, and constant critique, and measuring his words, and paying attention to the details of long, boring policy and thorny geopolitics.

it's campaigning that he enjoys, and power, and adulation. but governing? not at all. his dilemma is that even if he wants to leave the office, he wants to have some sort of 'out' so that he can save face. i'd wager that he'd love to not be president any more, but would hate to 'quit' or to let his detractors have the win. so we wait.

all that said, i'm really not sure about timelines. again with the rob ford analogy: ford just sort of disappeared from the office but clung to the title, and i wonder if trump might increasingly do that - devolve more and more aspects of the administration but keep sitting in the oval office between golf trips.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
ACE wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
"All of this is simply amazing to me. I can't recall in our country's modern history a President who has been directionless and ineffective to lead his own branch of government"

Can you recall any other modern day president who had nothing in his background to qualify him for the job. And saying "but...he was a successful business man" aren't qualifications IMHO. We're seeing that now, even with a majority.

Yes and his name was Obama. I don't think being a "community organizer" makes you particularly fit to be the president of the most powerful nation on earth. Having said that its debatable what in fact would make you qualified...

Are you unaware that he was a state senator from 1997-2004 and a US senator from 2005-2008?

It doesn't fit in a neat biased sound bite- but it does give him quite a bit of governing experience. Mathematically it's infinitely more experience than the current POTUS.
My recollection is that there was some consensus that he did nothing as a state senator, rarely showing up for votes, nor getting involved in working out legislation. He got to the US senate in early '05 and within 18mo he was primarily running for president.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The anti-Obama crowd did their best to paint him as a guy who didn't go to work.

According to wikipedia....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

I don't know how that compares to other State Senators, but it appears that he didn't just sit there and do nothing.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The anti-Obama crowd did their best to paint him as a guy who didn't go to work.

According to wikipedia....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Senate_career_of_Barack_Obama

I don't know how that compares to other State Senators, but it appears that he didn't just sit there and do nothing.
Too politically charged of an issue for Wikipedia to be a good source.

Of course, if Wikipedia had supported my contention, I'd not have indicted it <g>.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately, wikipedia does link to original sources if you are so inclined. It isn't the best source as a final arbiter of fact, but it is a good starting point, and is much better than "I seem to remember something about this..."

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 18, 17 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Fortunately, wikipedia does link to original sources if you are so inclined. It isn't the best source as a final arbiter of fact, but it is a good starting point, and is much better than "I seem to remember something about this..."
Lol, that's fair.

It's a lot more fun to debate with folks that are entirely capable of putting together valid, cogent counterpoints. I'm tired of the endless debates on fb with folks that couldn't put together a decent point if their lives depended on it. There's no sport, no challenge in that. This arena is much more fun.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a big D Democrat's perspective, at this point I think the best thing is for him to fumble his way through till the end of his term. He'll drag the reputation of the Republican party into the toilet, and Dems should have a good chance at the presidency and taking back part of congress in 2020. If he's impeached/resigns, Pence or someone similar will take over, and if they have 2-3 years, they can sort of "reset the clock" on the party and what they can get done. Almost all of Trump's BS at this point is self-inflicted, the Dems have hardly any power to do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Are we seeing the beginning of the end? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://boingboing.net/...sage-in-t.html?fk_bb

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next