Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift?
Quote | Reply
Intrigued to see where people are at
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumb question, but what does that mean?

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always turn it up to 11.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I always turn it up to 11.

the only right answer
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

The trainer difficulty adjusts how closely your trainer simulates actual hills. So the higher the trainer difficulty is, the more "realistic" it would be when you're climbing zwift mountain.

Note, regardless of your trainer difficulty, it still takes the same watts to go up that mountain. Having it on an "easier" setting just makes it so you can maintain higher cadence more easily.

Think of it as "trainer realism"

https://zwiftblog.com/...ty-setting-in-zwift/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At about 75% on a Cyclops Hammer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Red, because red is faster.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a kickr, set on zero when doing intervals and about half way if i was simulation on a longer z2 ride. If i went higher than halfway I'd run out of gears on the big climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've played around with it a bit, and went back to the default of 50%. As was said, it doesn't change the power required to get up a hill. It only changes what % grade is simulated by your smart trainer. My understanding is that the feature is there because some smart trainers can only simulate up to a certain percent grade. So if, for example, your trainer can only simulate an 8% grade and you come across a 11% climb in Swift, the trainer would presumably explode and you'd die (OK not really). By setting the difficulty to 50%, for example, you trainer will treat an 11% grade in Zwift as a 5.5% grade. The net effect of all of this is that, the lower the difficulty, the less shifting gears. 50% means, for me, that I can stay in one chainring and cover pretty much all terrain across my 9-speed cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
So if, for example, your trainer can only simulate an 8% grade and you come across a 11% climb in Swift, the trainer would presumably explode and you'd die (OK not really).

I can provide video evidence this does happen on occasion. :D

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
jkatsoudas wrote:
So if, for example, your trainer can only simulate an 8% grade and you come across a 11% climb in Swift, the trainer would presumably explode and you'd die (OK not really).

As can I:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...od%20stains#p5356794

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
gplama wrote:
jkatsoudas wrote:

As can I:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...od%20stains#p5356794

Holy shit! And here I was JRA (just reading along) while eating my lunch...

Now it seems I have some extra reading to do.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your trainer difficulty set at on Zwift? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

The trainer difficulty adjusts how closely your trainer simulates actual hills. So the higher the trainer difficulty is, the more "realistic" it would be when you're climbing zwift mountain.

Note, regardless of your trainer difficulty, it still takes the same watts to go up that mountain. Having it on an "easier" setting just makes it so you can maintain higher cadence more easily.

Think of it as "trainer realism"

https://zwiftblog.com/...ty-setting-in-zwift/

OK, maybe you know. I'll read the above linked article but post my question anyway b/c, it's more satisfying...

You know the sock slider switch? Regardless of where you slide it to, it seems there are 4 sock heights: not visible, barely visible, short, tall.
This leads me to ask, what are the "settings" for trainer realism? 0?, 10%, 45%, 100%? Or is it 0%, 50%, 100%? Or is there 25%, 75%? Any idea??

Thanks! (Now to actually read the link..., after the graphic blood splatter one, that is.)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Intrigued to see where people are at

Obvious question: which trainer do you have?

Some dumb trainers aren't adjustable for difficulty. (No, that knob should be tightened to prevent the tire from slipping. It does not increase resistance.) Some dumb trainers are adjustable. With a smart trainer wouldn't it be best to just leave it alone and let Zwift control it? Climb up the volcano, scream down the other side? That's the appeal of a smart trainer and Zwift. If you want hard all the time, or ERG mode, it's be better to just use trainer road workouts or watch a movie or something instead of playing Zwift.

Edit: never mind. just realized you were asking about the in-game setting. Not a setting on the trainer. Duh. I leave that slider at default (in the middle).
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 18, 17 11:03
Quote Reply