Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Need some help understanding the numbers I got from my last fitting. Current bike is a 58cm p2c which works okay, but isn't perfect for me.
I got these numbers:
A=865
B=85
D=335
E=180
F=600
G=220

Is F my reach? Didn't get a number for C but that doesn't seem necessary. Not really sure how to apply these numbers into normal stack/reach info available by the brands, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase [New2Try] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New2Try wrote:
Hi guys,

Need some help understanding the numbers I got from my last fitting. Current bike is a 58cm p2c which works okay, but isn't perfect for me.
I got these numbers:
A=865
B=85
D=335
E=180
F=600
G=220

Is F my reach? Didn't get a number for C but that doesn't seem necessary. Not really sure how to apply these numbers into normal stack/reach info available by the brands, so any help is greatly appreciated.

first - and this is something i harp on but nobody listens and this is why i think we waste a lot of time - what do you mean by "reach"? if we actually used terms of art, i do think it would be helpful. here is what reach is. it's the horizontal distance from the BB to the head tube top, at the top, midway between the leading and trailing edges. now...

if you mean PadX, no. i need to redo that image, updating it for what we now use. you weren't given PadX. PadX and PadY are the rise and run from the BB to the top of the pad (and I prefer pad-center but some use pad-rear).

we can do a lot with PadX and PadY. ask your fitter if he has these numbers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, yes I mean padX and Y. I've emailed my fitter now asking if he has this. In the off chance that he doesn't, maybe I can just measure padxy myself since the bike is fitted correctly?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase [New2Try] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you can do if you are confident in your leveling and measuring abilities.

Find a place where you can stand your bike completely upright and level with the rear wheel against the wall. Make a vertical line from the center of your pads to the floor, record that distance, and mark that point on the floor. Next, measure and record the distance from that point to the wall.

Do the same thing to the center of the bottom bracket. Vertical distance off the floor, and horizontal distance from the wall.

Subtract the vertical distance to the BB from the vertical distance to the pads, then subtract the horizontal distance to the BB from the horizontal distance to the pad.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks will do this and post my results.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpquick wrote:
What you can do if you are confident in your leveling and measuring abilities.

Find a place where you can stand your bike completely upright and level with the rear wheel against the wall. Make a vertical line from the center of your pads to the floor, record that distance, and mark that point on the floor. Next, measure and record the distance from that point to the wall.

Do the same thing to the center of the bottom bracket. Vertical distance off the floor, and horizontal distance from the wall.

Subtract the vertical distance to the BB from the vertical distance to the pads, then subtract the horizontal distance to the BB from the horizontal distance to the pad.

Have you ever checked your walls to see if they are perfectly vertical?

Every time I've checked a wall, it's never perfectly vertical.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Need help understanding bike fit for new bike purchase [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another thing the Germans do better I guess. :)

I kid. In all seriousness, you do not need to measure to the wall. You can use a plumb bob to mark a point on the floor directly below the bottom bracket and use this as your origin.

i personally have done it mounted in my trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a level with my bike on the trainer.

blog
Quote Reply