Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
getcereal wrote:
orphious wrote:
All though I think the President should and did condemn the KKK and the Nazi's and other groups like them, He should not be trying to draw a moral equivalent between the 2 groups at the protest and that is his huge mistake.

Did he draw a moral equivalent?

Is it because he didn't say? I condemn these hateful groups but especially the white supremacist groups they are really bad!

Compare his statement to every response he has ever had to a terrorist attack by a Muslim. Did you condemn "hateful groups" in those tweets/statements, or did he always use the phrase "radical Islamic terrorist"?

In the other terrorist attacks were there other groups or just Muslims? You know damn well if he condemned 8 groups, whatever the 9th group he left out would be the one you'd say he supported (because he didn't specifically condemn them). It's the way this game is being played.

My understanding is there were multiple types of scumbags there. Yeah, put a big net around them all and call them racist, bigoted, hateful groups.

In the meantime, this entire discussion is dumb because these groups have been around forever. They have been doing disgusting things forever. And yet, one of their members kills somebody and we end up talking about words the President uses.

If we really think people on the edge are waiting to see what the President says about these things before they act or join the KKK, we really are pretty dumb. This discussion is a political weapon used to grab and/or undermine power. It's nothing more and nothing less.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a hot issue for me as I live in Charlottesville, but that doesn't make me an expert on policy. This disclaimer aside, I think the President managed to fumble the easiest thing possible. Politicians often have to walk a fine line, but when it comes to violent racists running around making Nazi salutes and actually killing someone it is pretty simple. You denounce the perpetrators in no uncertain terms. If you are real leader of any calibre you also set a tone for the high road, give people a sense of hope and action and possibly even bring federal resources to bear where necessary by getting white nationalist groups put back onto the list of terrorist organizations.

But, instead of anything like that we got a weak opening, a sorta strong follow up and then later doubling down on the weak opening to declare a moral equivalence between Nazis and the resistance. If I were a script writer tasked with coming up with the most stupid let-down kind of response I don't think I could have topped what he did.

So, I'm not too pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
This is a hot issue for me as I live in Charlottesville, but that doesn't make me an expert on policy. This disclaimer aside, I think the President managed to fumble the easiest thing possible. Politicians often have to walk a fine line, but when it comes to violent racists running around making Nazi salutes and actually killing someone it is pretty simple. You denounce the perpetrators in no uncertain terms. If you are real leader of any calibre you also set a tone for the high road, give people a sense of hope and action and possibly even bring federal resources to bear where necessary by getting white nationalist groups put back onto the list of terrorist organizations.

But, instead of anything like that we got a weak opening, a sorta strong follow up and then later doubling down on the weak opening to declare a moral equivalence between Nazis and the resistance. If I were a script writer tasked with coming up with the most stupid let-down kind of response I don't think I could have topped what he did.

So, I'm not too pleased.

Yeah but when your base is sympathetic to them at some level, so you think you have to walk a line in the middle, and you're not so good with words this is what you get.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The position that 'many sides are at fault' may have been tenable up through about 1963ish, but every president since and including Kennedy (probably Eisenhower as well) would clearly denounce white supremacist groups at any opportunity. Even Gov. Wallace and Senator Byrd - both early devout racists - eventually came to see the light and openly apologized for their earlier racist positions.
Trump did read a statement denouncing white supremacist groups - but both opportunities where he spoke off the cuff and presumably his true feelings and thoughts could be expressed - - he gave these white supremacist groups a pass. Trump is clearly flat out racist - and now we'll learn where America as a nation stands on the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Trump is clearly flat out racist - and now we'll learn where America as a nation stands on the issue.

I don't know about that, but he doesn't mind appearing so if it helps him shore up his base.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
Trump is clearly flat out racist - and now we'll learn where America as a nation stands on the issue.

I don't know about that, but he doesn't mind appearing so if it helps him shore up his base.

This is where I stand. I don't think he likes anyone but himself and maybe Ivanka. Screw everyone else.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

This is where I stand. I don't think he likes anyone but himself and maybe Ivanka. Screw everyone else.

This has been Trump's "genius" convincing these folks that he is really one of them and has their interests at heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

Remember everything is politics and you have to draw lines. For some crazy reason (even if you hate the fuckers) if you are conservative you are a Nazi, alt-right (whatever that means) and if you are liberal you are a ANTIFA, BLM, Occupy Wallstreet... Commie protester.

This time the bigger assholes were the Nazi's because someone died. So Nazi's (all white conservatives) should be front and center for more condemnation.

No, NAZIs were not the bigger assholes because someone died. They were the bigger assholes before the day began. They are filled with racist hate. I will not condone any violence perpetrated by BLM or any other group, but if you can't see and acknowledge a difference in the premise (the raisin d'etre) behind those "leftist" groups and that of the White Supremacists and Nazis, then you will be showing us your true colors. Hint: One set of groups is protesting for equal rights.
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
getcereal wrote:

Remember everything is politics and you have to draw lines. For some crazy reason (even if you hate the fuckers) if you are conservative you are a Nazi, alt-right (whatever that means) and if you are liberal you are a ANTIFA, BLM, Occupy Wallstreet... Commie protester.

This time the bigger assholes were the Nazi's because someone died. So Nazi's (all white conservatives) should be front and center for more condemnation.

No, NAZIs were not the bigger assholes because someone died. They were the bigger assholes before the day began. They are filled with racist hate. I will not condone any violence perpetrated by BLM or any other group, but if you can't see and acknowledge a difference in the premise (the raisin d'etre) behind those "leftist" groups and that of the White Supremacists and Nazis, then you will be showing us your true colors. Hint: One set of groups is protesting for equal rights.

Equal rights? And then cops where killed.

Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
The position that 'many sides are at fault' may have been tenable up through about 1963ish,...

It's a sad statement when the truth has become an untenable position.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you missed the bit where I said I didn't condone violence.

I'm talking about the fundamental reason each group exists. Still can't spot a difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Don't be stupid. Think for yourself. Don't be a parrot...Anyone who can't see that is a special kind of stupid.

George Will, Charles Krauthammer, Ben Shapiro... Aside from being well respected, thoughtful, principled, and independent thinking conservatives (I know, I know...Deep State Establishment!!!), I suppose they're that kind of stupid, too. Or maybe just dishonest Trump Haters.

Maybe you should consider their opinions and analysis. Or, just hurl insults. Whatever floats your boat.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Politicians often have to walk a fine line, but when it comes to violent racists running around making Nazi salutes and actually killing someone it is pretty simple. You denounce the perpetrators in no uncertain terms. If you are real leader of any calibre you also set a tone for the high road, give people a sense of hope and action and possibly even bring federal resources to bear where necessary by getting white nationalist groups put back onto the list of terrorist organizations.

This is the sane, rational, respectful, appropriate and balanced response. This should be the response, that comes from ANY president - regardless of political stripe - liberal or conservative.

Time and time again, Trump has shown, by his own personal statements, and tweets, that he is irrational, disrespectful, inappropriate, unbalanced and possibly insane!

And that's not even touching on the incoherence, pettiness, narcissism, irresponsibility, dishonesty, and out right buffoonery!

All of the above qualities and behaviors, are looked upon and viewed, as extremely poor and negative qualities/behaviors in anyone. Anyone showing up for a job interview, anywhere, showing and displaying any one of the above, would NOT pass the screening interview! Yet this man is president of the United States! The world is indeed, upside down!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 17, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Fact checking Trump's Charlottesville comments [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without reading ANY of this thread... fact-checking Trump is akin to giving a free makeover to a corpse.

This is a tool who went on national TV to proclaim he'd sent a team of PI's to Hawaii and uncovered 'un-bah-leevable' dirt on Obama, and that he'd be releasing their findings to the media "very very soon".

(This was back in 2011...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next