Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The retail experience sucks and is getting worse. In order to save money store sizes are are shrinking and certain fits and styles and products are only available online making shopping in store even more pointless.

Long live Amazon Prime!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Ebooks are killing bookstores. Just like mp3's killed the record store.

Nope. E-books sales have declined each of the past two years.

Audiobooks may have something to do with that. But it's really off topic.

Amazon may be killing bookstores, but are they using unfair business practices to do so?

Trump is calling out Amazon, what are they doing that is so horrible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty short-sighted. Since the Amazon facility opened in Kenosha, WI about a year ago, the majority of my orders have come from there. Thus, I pay taxes on those goods. In addition, it has provided about 3,000 job and increased enrollment in one of the school districts I represent.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not true. And this from Publisher's Weekly. Where people are purchasing from may differ, as there aren't nearly as many good local bookstores, but there are still many local bookstores that are thriving as print does well. Anecdotally speaking, I see this trend in action, as myself and most of the friends I know are purchasing more print books than ever, with the occasional carrying of an e-reader when convenience of space is needed. The tactile experience of a print book compared to an ebook is a completely different thing than a CD/record compared to an mp3. A record is like a fine first edition of a book, something that few people get into; and records are doing as well as ever. A CD is more like the mass print book experience, but is still completely different. It's easy to carry a million songs in MP3 format and most people can't discern a difference in sound with the compression, so convenience wins out; a physical book compared to an ebook is a completely different experience & is more enjoyable, which is why I believe print has been roaring back.

FishyJoe wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Amazon isn't even close to a monopoly. There are lots of other retailers in competition.

Monopolies aren't even illegal. It's when a monopoly engages in unfair business practices that they come under investigation. And I haven't seen any evidence that they participate in unfair practices on any kind of scale.

Go to your local bookshop and post a message from there.

video killed the radio star

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
ironclm wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Nope. E-books sales have declined each of the past two years.

Audiobooks may have something to do with that. But it's really off topic.

Amazon may be killing bookstores, but are they using unfair business practices to do so?

Trump is calling out Amazon, what are they doing that is so horrible?

Audiobooks have nothing to do with it, there are simply not many audiobooks sold. Ebooks as a share of the total book marketplace have been flat or declining for 4 or 5 years, ever since tablets became so commonplace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
I don't like Trump. I won't hide that. But I don't protest, march, donate to political campaigns, register with a party, or do anything publicly political.

Take away my Amazon Prime, that hits me at the core. This is something that I will fight for.

Yeah, of course Amazon is hurting retailers. They are more efficient, have more selection and often provide better service than retailers. The reason Amazon is successful is because people are so turned off by the retail experience.

Don't f*ck with Amazon asshole!

Quote:
Amazon is doing great damage to tax paying retailers. Towns, cities and states throughout the U.S. are being hurt - many jobs being lost!

https://twitter.com/...s/897763049226084352

FTC will go after Amazon eventually. You don't even have to be a monopoly to draw their ire btw. There's a lot of strong economic research that consolidation in any industry leads to stagnant wages and reduced employment. Mark my words, the next time an economic crisis hits all of the heavy hitters in economics will lean on that and it will be a politically expedient solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazon Prime is shipping stuff to Inuvik for free. God bless America, Canada, FedEx and Canada Post. Arctic'ers (is that even a word?) can finally afford decent quality groceries & dry goods at our southerner prices!
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
Amazon isn't even close to a monopoly. There are lots of other retailers in competition.

Monopolies aren't even illegal. It's when a monopoly engages in unfair business practices that they come under investigation. And I haven't seen any evidence that they participate in unfair practices on any kind of scale.

video killed the radio star

Appropriately, that was MTV's first video. I guess you could also reality TV killed the music video?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
That's pretty short-sighted. Since the Amazon facility opened in Kenosha, WI about a year ago, the majority of my orders have come from there. Thus, I pay taxes on those goods. In addition, it has provided about 3,000 job and increased enrollment in one of the school districts I represent.

You would be paying sales tax no matter where the goods were shipped from.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
JSA wrote:

You would be paying sales tax no matter where the goods were shipped from.

Not exactly. It is true that in April 2017, Amazon started collecting sales tax for every state in which there is sales tax. However, Amazon serves as the point of sale for 3rd parties for which it is not responsible for shipping. It does not collect sales tax on those sales.

I purchase everything from Amazon from toilet paper to food to ... well ... everything. I usually have multiple orders per week. I do not pay sales tax on every order.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

NPR had a story on local bookstores a couple days ago. The story seemed to indicate that local bookstores were doing OK (at least the number of bookstores has been stable the past couple of years, Barnes & Noble is doing OK, Amazon is opening up local stores, etc.). Not sure if this is everywhere though.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/15/540076527/be-more-than-a-bookstore-a-brick-and-mortar-shop-s-key-to-success

Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Which is exactly like the last regime, only on steroids.

When they are doing your bullying of people, too often look the other way.

I don't really know what your post means, but if you are suggesting that how Obama carried himself against his detractors is similar to how Trump does, I would suggest that you are mistaken.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes because he passed many bipartisan bills and had nothing but respectful things to say about those on the other side of the isle.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
I don't like Trump. I won't hide that. But I don't protest, march, donate to political campaigns, register with a party, or do anything publicly political.

Take away my Amazon Prime, that hits me at the core. This is something that I will fight for.

Yeah, of course Amazon is hurting retailers. They are more efficient, have more selection and often provide better service than retailers. The reason Amazon is successful is because people are so turned off by the retail experience.

Quote:
Amazon is doing great damage to tax paying retailers. Towns, cities and states throughout the U.S. are being hurt - many jobs being lost!

Just a little test on how far along the sheep are being hooked for Life.

Bezos just did a little victory dance.

Stage 1 completed.
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 17, 17 1:14
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
Yes because he passed many bipartisan bills and had nothing but respectful things to say about those on the other side of the isle.....

BUT BUT BUT OBAMA!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Quote:

Stage 1 completed.

If getting products I want quickly and being able to return items without any hassle is some kind of swindle, then consider me a sheeple.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't take away my Amazon Prime! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Stage 1 completed.

I assume you think you've posted something clever and insightful, but I have no idea what your point is or what you are trying to say.

Quote Reply

Prev Next