Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity
Quote | Reply
It's Science(tm) folks. And you wouldn't want to argue with science, right? ;-)

"Researchers at the University of Graz in Austria have released findings from a study that say mild alcohol intoxication helps lead to mental clarity and to spark creative thought.

Seventy volunteers between the ages of 19 and 32 were given both alcohol-free and regular beer before taking a series of tests. The experiment showed volunteers performing better on a word problem test after drinking a pint of beer than they did after drinking the non-alcoholic drinks. The researchers did note, however, concentration and memory issues were apparent during other skill tests."

As for me, I always follow Hemingway's advice: write drunk, edit sober. ;-)

New-study-says-drinking-beer-leads-to-mental-clarity - Story

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flawed study. Individuals in the control group were in a bad mood as soon as they tasted the no-alcohol beer.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Flawed study. Individuals in the control group were in a bad mood as soon as they tasted the no-alcohol beer.

Hahahahaha! Yes, that would have definitely turned me into a clock tower sniper. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is actually a pretty well done study:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S1053810016303713

and to get to the first criticism posted (yes, I know it was in jest), the participants didn't know there even was a placebo group and those that got NA beer reported the same level of intoxication as those that got the real stuff.

I would like a neuropsychologist to weigh in on the measures they used. I don't know anything about those tests.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPeterson wrote:
This is actually a pretty well done study:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S1053810016303713

and to get to the first criticism posted (yes, I know it was in jest), the participants didn't know there even was a placebo group and those that got NA beer reported the same level of intoxication as those that got the real stuff.

I would like a neuropsychologist to weigh in on the measures they used. I don't know anything about those tests.

Andy

X2.

Beer: what can't it do? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

"Researchers at the University of Graz in Austria have released findings from a study that say mild alcohol intoxication helps lead to mental clarity and to spark creative thought.

Seventy volunteers between the ages of 19 and 32 were given both alcohol-free and regular beer before taking a series of tests. The experiment showed volunteers performing better on a word problem test after drinking a pint of beer than they did after drinking the non-alcoholic drinks. The researchers did note, however, concentration and memory issues were apparent during other skill tests."

I don't know if mild alcohol intoxication helps my mental clarity, but it helps with a great Saturday afternoon nap on the couch!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

I don't know if mild alcohol intoxication helps my mental clarity, but it helps with a great Saturday afternoon nap on the couch!

The older I get, the more thinking of a beer and a nap helps fill me with a sense of great anticipation. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan my weekend around the nap.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I plan my weekend around the nap.

Good pro tip. Thanks! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must have a very clear mind then.
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have reached a level of clarity by now that Scientologists only read about.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I must have a very clear mind then.

You and me both. I've imbibed enough of the golden nectar to float an aircraft carrier. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to get on my university's human subjects review board so I can find out all the cool studies that would be recruiting people...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I need to get on my university's human subjects review board so I can find out all the cool studies that would be recruiting people...

If you do, and you have any sorts of studies that involve becoming a cyborg or something similar, let me know. I'm there all day. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those Austrian guys were pikers. If they'd just worked a little harder they'd have found out that not only are we smarter after a few beers, but we're better looking too. Our jokes are funnier, and incredibly other people's jokes are funnier. Yes, it's true. Oh, but there's more. Not only does subject B's jokes get funnier when Mr. A drinks a couple beers, but, often Miss C gets cuter. That beer certainly is some kind of magic, eh?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Those Austrian guys were pikers. If they'd just worked a little harder they'd have found out that not only are we smarter after a few beers, but we're better looking too. Our jokes are funnier, and incredibly other people's jokes are funnier. Yes, it's true. Oh, but there's more. Not only does subject B's jokes get funnier when Mr. A drinks a couple beers, but, often Miss C gets cuter. That beer certainly is some kind of magic, eh?

For sure, we all become handsomer and prettier after a few beers, at least to those looking at us. I found this out through plenty of experimentation at the local VFW on late Saturday nights, on more than a few occasions. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

Why do you hate beer so much?
Quote Reply
Re: Study: Drinking Beer Helps Improve Mental Clarity [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Years ago I had a good friend who was working on his PHD in "plant genetics" in the town I lived in. He was artificially aging grapes and making wine for his doctorate if you can believe it. He used to come over to my place regularly with a couple of bottles of wine hidden under his coat since officially it was "university property". It was always good wine. Lost touch with him but last thing I heard is he was in Germany working in the wine industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Years ago I had a good friend who was working on his PHD in "plant genetics" in the town I lived in. He was artificially aging grapes and making wine for his doctorate if you can believe it. He used to come over to my place regularly with a couple of bottles of wine hidden under his coat since officially it was "university property". It was always good wine. Lost touch with him but last thing I heard is he was in Germany working in the wine industry.

Always do what you love. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Always do what you love. :-)

He enjoyed making and drinking his wine. In fact we both did. And the price was right. Consider that he made it in the university lab at no cost to either of us. In retrospect I should have kept a few bottles, but at that time in my life didn't think about it. The foolishness of youth.:-)
Quote Reply