Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torn labrum in hip, first surgery did not help, now what are my options?
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there have a torn labrum and was able to fix it with PT or strength work? If so, what?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum in hip, first surgery did not help, now what are my options? [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fix? Well, no. Get on for a couple more years while still tri'ing? Yes. I was dx'd in Apr 2013, need to address became clear Dec 2016. Surgery Mar 2017.

I think the biggest trouble I had was various PT made me stronger but didn't fully resolve the pain. Sometimes it was mild enough I'd forget about it, other times not, and doctors were ... well they seemed to be willing to consider only 3 options: either I fit w/in their specialty and their idea would ease discomfort, it was all due to the labrum, or I was faking it. I was unable to find someone who could take me back to basic muscle pattern differences so I could build up good underlying, balanced strength or identify where it was lacking.

I am unsure surgery will be a good fix w/o addressing the unideal movement pattern as well. Might be fine for some active lifestyles, but less so for others.

Also, any chance you have an additional, unaddressed injury - such as athletic pubalgia (sp?)?

Last thought, I hear it takes a year before you forget about the surgery and really feel better. You didn't mention how much time has elapsed?

I'll be watching to see what other responders have to say as well.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum in hip, first surgery did not help, now what are my options? [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If first surgery did not fix it, then IMO there are one or two things that went wrong:

1. Your doctor is not that experienced at the surgery (the surgery is really not that common). You really need someone that has studied FAI/labrum tears specifically and that's his specialty. Someone who has trained under Dr Phillipon.

2. You rushed recovery and tried to do too much too soon.

So my suggestions:

1. Strengthen your glutes. Like 3-4 times a week, do a bunch of glute strength. Here are some ideas: https://www.therapeuticassociates.com/...t-stability-routine/

2. Find a new ortho doctor that meets the above.

FWIW, I'm 2+ years removed from surgery. Been racing faster than ever.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Torn labrum in hip, first surgery did not help, now what are my options? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try these exercises, My doc has a very good reputation, just not convinced it is a perfected surgery. I think the body fell back into it's old habits with incorrect movement which is partially why it did not work. The recovery was long, 6 months off the bike, did not run for 3 years. I will give these a go for a few months. Shorter cranks seem to help as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, this surgery is relatively common, however, the tears come in all shapes and sizes so outcomes also vary.

How did you tear it? Acute or wear and tear...
Was it intact; did you have it repaired or resection or a bit of both?
How is the other hip?
Follow-up MRI?
Any specific movement pattern that reproduces pain?
How old are you?
Time for a second opinion?

You likely need to rule out joint mechanical issues first with some updated imaging. This could be from the tear itself or unfortunate secondary compromise, such as OA. All the PT in the world will not overcome a profound structural defect. Once you get that settled then you can map out next steps. the sooner you get the joint looked at the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My PT recommended against the surgery unless I was in pain all the time (which I'm not). She feels it's still too new.

I went through 6 months of PT exercises specifically targeting my glutes. Initially I had to learn HOW to use my glutes and not cheat and engage my quads for everything instead - that took a while and it wasn't until I coudl do that reliably before I could do proper exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found out mine was torn in 2013 with an MRA. Went and saw Dr. Nho in Chicago who confirmed the DX. He said he could do the repair but wouldn't do it if my goal was to return to running as there was no guarantee this would work. So I went through months of PT (no surgery) and found out I had 2 inguinal hernias right over my left hip where all of the pain was. Once I had surgery I had no left hip pain. Ran the NYCM in fall of 2014.

By the fall of 2015 I was in severe hip pain again on the left hip. Had PT again and a cortisone shot in the top of my left hamstring..it must have gotten a bit torn after returning back to running and was weak..same with the hip all over. Saw Dr. Nho once again..was close to pulling the trigger on surgery this time. He also told me once again.."he could do the surgery, but no guarantee I would ever run again". So..I was in a lot of pain and booked the surgery..by late October before the scheduled November surgery and lots of PT I had zero pain again..nada...cancelled surgery once again.

Started working on glute strength lots and lots of it over the winter..fast forward to today and I have done several triathlons this summer, and doing IMFLA this November..no hip pain..knock on wood.

Long story short. In my case for whatever reason I have been able to avoid surgery ..for now :) best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I skipped surgery, went with PT and it helped. Some days are better than others and if I don't do my stretches/exercises it gets noticeably worse.
Quote Reply