Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whose Republican federal legislator...
Quote | Reply
... has made a statement about trump's posture toward charlottesville? this being the day of his "infrastructure" news conference and the Q&A at it.

i called my republican congressman's office (house or representatives). zippo as of this afternoon.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Whose Republican federal legislator... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No republicans in this neck of the woods, but Governor Coumo did start a petition for Trump to speak out after his first statement. I don't get it. Trump's first statement was from the heart. Let him own it. We shouldn't force him to pretend he thinks fascism is evil.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All D delegation here but Governer Charlie Baker, a Republican and frequent critic of Trump's, called him out again today.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Whose Republican federal legislator... [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sslothrop wrote:
We shouldn't force him to pretend he thinks fascism is evil.

don't say that! i said in february that trump's behavior - railing against the legitimacy of the press, the courts, his opponents - was straight out of the fascist playbook, and i got 200 angry responses. better not call trump's behavior fascist here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Whose Republican federal legislator... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
All D delegation here but Governer Charlie Baker, a Republican and frequent critic of Trump's, called him out again today.

you're saying that charlie hasn't said anything? yet?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Susan Collins tweeted this a few hours ago: "The violence in Charlottesville was caused by racists & hate groups. We must unite against them." Not exactly a condemnation of the President's responses, but a bit better than the "all sides" approach.

Neither federal nor legislator, but the Republican governor here in Mass. had this to say yesterday (before Pres. Trump doubled down on the "all sides" rhetoric today):

"President Donald Trump should have quickly come out after a woman was killed in Charlottesville and condemned white supremacists, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said Monday.
"I think he should've come out and said what everybody else was thinking and believing shortly after the incident that occurred in Charlottesville, which is: White supremacists have no business and no place in American political dialogue. Period. End of discussion. Case closed," Baker told reporters at a press conference on Boston City Hall Plaza...Asked if Trump is still fit to serve as president, Baker said, "Look, I made my decision clear about that one last fall." Baker blanked the presidential ballot in November 2016, after months of questioning Trump's temperament and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's trustworthiness."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, he has publicly criticized him before and did so again today, specifically about his remarks in the press conference.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rep. Bill Huizenga — US Representative for Michigan District 2
1 hr ·
Today, President Trump had the opportunity to clearly refute the ideology spread by groups such as the KKK and White Supremacists and failed to do. This shouldn't be a tough decision. If an ideology promotes hate and targets individuals because of their race, religion, or gender it should be refuted.
Quote Reply
Re: Whose Republican federal legislator... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
1 hr ·
Today, President Trump had the opportunity to clearly refute the ideology spread by groups such as the KKK and White Supremacists and failed to do. This shouldn't be a tough decision. If an ideology promotes hate and targets individuals because of their race, religion, or gender it should be refuted.

I just spent some time browsing the comments from his FB post. What a shit show.
Quote Reply
Re: Whose Republican federal legislator... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Thom wrote:
1 hr ·

I just spent some time browsing the comments from his FB post. What a shit show.

when you look at the range of comments to that post of his, and considering what this could mean in a republican primary challenge, i wonder if and how many conversions from rep to dem we might see leading to the midterms. as the republican party continues to suffer trump's behavior in silence it's going to make the party toxic for a candidate caught between his upcoming primary and his honor.

the only salvation for some of these guys are states like california where it's the top-2 vote getters that move to the general. that's the only way for some to survive the primary and yet win a general.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply