Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SIG echo 1 thermal
Quote | Reply
anyone use one? thoughts?
this is a very descent price for a thermal optic. however, i believe you get what you pay for, and thermal aint cheap. but i've yet to see anything from SIG that is crap.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: SIG echo 1 thermal [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got to demo one for a weekend. It is serviceable, but not outstanding. It is a bit heavy (but most thermal sights are), a bit clumsy, and suffers from screen freeze if the target moves quickly. If you are tracking something like deer or bear, it is ok. But, if it is a fast mover, like rabbits or coyotes, you get screen "flair" and freeze.

My overall impression is that it was pretty decent bang for the buck in thermal sights. It certainly allows you to find game in dark. But, I would not rely upon it if my life depended upon it or if I was a big-time hunter looking for a top device for serious night hunting.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: SIG echo 1 thermal [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man, first hand beta is great. yeah, at that price i was wondering what was up. saw one today, but it was daytime and here in the desert trying to look at anything thermal outside is a waste.

need one...no. well, not at this moment. so i'm ok with waiting for prices to come down. but again, being in the desert i'll prob opt for night vision.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Night vision has come down in price in the last couple years. I remember when the digital night vision first came out. It was cool, but WAY overpriced and suffered problems like freezes and blurry images. Now, digital night vision is nearly as clear as Gen2 at about half the price. You can get a really nice Gen 2 scope or goggles for less than a Gen1 monocle was a few years ago.

Thermal, however, isn't there yet. I have been eying a decent thermal scope for years and the damn prices are still way up there in the $6-7k range for high end. I'm hoping thermal will start dropping in price, but the "economy" units are still in the $2k range and suffer significant limitations.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what do you use it for where your are? i have a lot of co-workers in texas that hunt hogs at night, they have some serious coin tied up in their rigs. i'd say 90% of them prefer thermal, but that high of a percentage want to pay for it. i want it for property management. rural area, no street lights. bottom line, stuff happens. it's a fine line between preparedness and paranoia.

i'd most likely go with a monocular to start. i think driving the desert and mountain trails sans any lights would be fun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did I buy it for or what do I use it for? I bought it for when the SHIT, of course! I use it for screwing around. We like to camp in the great white north and the goggles come in handy treking around in the night. I have only actually used the night vision scope for a "legit" purpose once. We live in a rural area outside of Milwaukee. We have a lot of coyotes in the area. A couple neighborhood dogs have been lost. Last year, they got quite bold and would pop up in the woods behind our house and even set foot in our yard. The scope was quite effective in sighting them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perfect. bought it to be prepared. until then, practice with it so when it's needed you are prepared. practice makes perfect.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply