Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

embrunman race report
Quote | Reply
There will be more to follow but if you like to go up 10 percent average grades over 10 kilometres and really enjoy going really fast down similiar grades all within 6 feet of near certain death on roads that in places don't have guardrails and have sheer drop offs of hundreds of feet this is the race for you. You also get to go up the col de ilzard (probably spelled that wrong) over roads that tour de france heros rode very recently too. I rode over go Chris Froome and other names I cannot remember right now.

Okay now two days later and time to do update. I chose this race because I had a week of vacation planned and wanted to do a tri and also have it be a good trip for wife and daughter. The other good thing is this race is always on August 15 and this year that was a tuesday so with my holiday being saturday to saturday that worked. I am not an uber biker but don't mind climbing and it sounded like fun to ride on tour de france stage course. The bike is rather hard. I am not sure exactly how much vertical somewhere between 4 and 5000 metres. The cost is only 300 euro so even if you just do swim and bike worth it. The run has about 500 m of gain but I didn't expect to do it anyway. The next day I had to go back to Lyon to meet my wife and daughter so I couldn't kill myself.

The airline didn't send our luggage or bike when be landed on Sunday am so I didn't get it until monday at 245. That was a problem because embrun in 3.5 hours drive south and registration closes at 6 pm. I did alot of speeding and some creative detour on skinny mountain roads to get around french holiday traffic and got there at 620. Thank goodness lady at registration took pity on me and gave me package. Got to transition at ten to 7 and it closes at 7 and dragged by unpacked bike bag in and put bike together. Back to hotel had good supper. Hotel put on breakfast at 330 for myself and 6 other athletes. (the french take hospitality seriously). Race starts at 6 am so I walked 2.5 k downhill at 430 to get set up only to find out I couldn't get into T1 without photo ID so I had to run uphill get photo ID and come back down. Rather odd given I had race number on and race bracelet on my wrist and was asked for no ID on my way out of transition at end of race.

Swim starts in the dark at 6 am. Leaders follow a flashing light on a boat everyone else on mass start of 1000 follows. I started at back of group as I was late to start area and didn't know what to expect in terms of swimmers. It was two loops in a small lake which seemed good water quality. Wetsuit swim. The first 600 m I was in a washing machine of many swimmers. After that I decided to go wide and it was a bit better but by end of first loop got no better so I decided to go on inside shortest line buoy to buoy. Surprise almost no one swimming there everyone staying wide. Nice. I came out 68 minutes after I entered the water. I think I was about number 300 or so lots of bikes still in T1.

Then to bike. Climbing starts straight out of transition. I think in the first 30 or 40 K I must have climbed 750 m at least maybe more. I got passed alot. I think half of france passed me. At one point I fell over on what was about a 15 percent incline which didn't hurt much because I was barely moving. After that descent back down to lake. I was scrubbing a fair bit of speed on descents I live in pancake flat area and not much comfort going down fast. Then another 20-30 K and started going up towards approach to Col d'Izard. I was 3 or 4 percent with a few descents then it slowly got steeper. I can't remember exactly how long the col is but towards the end I passed a sign which said 13 more K with average 10 percent incline. I am okay climbing I make it up the beast on St.Croix and did that half bike in 3.5 hours but it was getting brutal at that point. With about 9 k to the summit I was basically done. It was 80 plus degrees sunny and I breathing as hard as I ever had to on a bike. Then I passed a race official who told me I had 45 min to make the top or I would miss cut off. Another K down the road and I was moving at walking speed so I pulled over and sat down and waited for the "clean up" bus. Which came along 10 min later. I was okay with that by that point I had gone about 100 k and probably ascended over 3000m. And I was going to get to go back to T1 and have a shower and a proper meal. I took the bus 3 hours to get back to T1. If you make if over the col the race isn't over. I'll finish rest report in another post as I have run out of space.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Aug 19, 17 23:26
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding in France-nothing like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe 90 mins from my front door. The riding is insane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's on my short list for next year.

I just have to find a nice place to vacation and relax afterwards that my wife approves. Corsica maybe...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike or tri bike??

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Road bike or tri bike??

Depends on your level of comfort climbing and descending on a TT bike and what gearing you want.
Most go road with clip ons, but you still see more than a few TT bikes at these types of races.

Having drops for the descents is a must for me.
My road bike also has a semi-compact vs my the 54-39 on my TT.
Unless you are FOP or pro, having a nice granny gear is a must.
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would your wife approve of...Embrun?
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
Would your wife approve of...Embrun?

Yup. There is a short course event she can do at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, what I meant is Embrun could be considered a nice and relaxing place for a vacation after your race(s).

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
Sorry, what I meant is Embrun could be considered a nice and relaxing place for a vacation after your race(s).

It's gorgeous. There are numerous cute little towns with picturesque french bakeries. Great hiking. It can be a great vacation.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more, as I spent many months of August in the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:

Ah, I see.

We did Annecy last summer. While it and the surrounding region were stunning it was way too busy.
If Embrun is a lot quieter... maybe?

We miss Croatia, but driving 8 hours to Ancona from Embrun and an overnight ferry to Split is a bit much...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about mercantour national park? Sospel if you want quieter? The coast is mental in the summer but mercantour seems a bit more tranquil
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
What about mercantour national park? Sospel if you want quieter? The coast is mental in the summer but mercantour seems a bit more tranquil

I'll have a look. What about Verdon region? Or Aix-en-Provence?
Quote Reply
Re: embrunman race report [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri bike but I had local bike shop put in a 11-28 cassette in back. My small ring in front is 39. I would have been better off with 36 in front but didn't want to change the front as more money. Alot of people rode road bikes. If you were going up aero wasn't much help and the descents could be so fast that excess speed could be more of a problem than not enough speed.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Verdon is busier than oxford circus on a friday night.

Almost everyday, but more at weekends, you will have thousands of bikers riding the N85 - the engined variety. All trying to get their knee down. Hot hatches and 1 billion campers........

Worth visiting but out of summer if wife thought annecy busy

Never been to ax. Likely similar

I am going to explore sospel and area more. Seemed a bit more undiscovered than verdon
Quote Reply