Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we will find out as I'm assuming this will be a power score result that will earn him is elite license and allow him to start to climb the itu ladder. Which I'm guessing was likely big relief to check off and not have to chase races to qualify for elite status.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the well reasoned response here- and you make some good points- my criticism was meant to point out the seeming weirdness of predicting the guy's future based on one race. celebrate- don't complicate.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [gustri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gustri wrote:
According to this article, he is part of the Collegiate Recruitment Program, so he's not just some rando who showed up and decided to try Triathlon for the first time.

Quote:
Pearson was the breakout star on the men’s side, becoming an overall national champion in his first-ever triathlon. An NCAA Division I runner at the University of Colorado, Pearson was introduced to triathlon through the USA Triathlon Collegiate Recruitment Program.

Well, that is kind of interesting since Pearson says ZERO, zilch, nada, about USAT in his ST interview. He basically just did the race as lark on his way home to visit his family as described below.

In mid-summer, Pearson planned to drive to New Jersey to visit his mother and siblings. This provided the seed of his decision to race the USA Triathlon sprint nationals. “To be honest, I was driving from Boulder to New Jersey and I thought it would be kinda fun to stop and do this race on the way home.”

Before Omaha, triathlon was kind of a daydream. After his win, Pearson says he will have to do some serious thinking. “It shows I could be pretty good at the sport if I trained more for it,” said Pearson. “I know I want to do it. Especially after today. I knew the bike would be a big question mark. I have done some bike rides. But I didn’t know how it would go. Especially as I had a road bike, I knew I wouldn’t be the fastest biker. But the fact I was able to keep those guys in sight, I think it shows I might have talent for the bike as well.”

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...an_Pearson_6506.html

Obv I don't have full knowledge here but it kind of sounds like USAT is trying to take credit for Pearson's "rise to fame" when in reality he just did the race as a break from his 30-hr drive home.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morgan spent 10ish days at the OTC this summer getting "introduced" to the sport and training as a triathlete with the CRP program. Doesn't mean he has to stay in the sport but I can almost guarantee this race was *suggested* as an trial/attempt to seeing if he would like triathlon (plus an avenue to get elite card that is needed for itu pathway).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Just for the hall of it, I looked up Morgan Pearson on USA Swimming's times search function. Looks like he went 17:15 for the 1650 at age 17 so pretty good but maybe a minute or so behind guys like Gomez and the Brownlees. My understanding is that they can go 16:00-ish for 1500 scm.

this is not a bad base at all he looks like a strongish guy so well suited for the physical swimming in ITU.I guess you will have a better idea in 2 years time but this is not a bad place to start from.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Just for the hall of it, I looked up Morgan Pearson on USA Swimming's times search function. Looks like he went 17:15 for the 1650 at age 17 so pretty good but maybe a minute or so behind guys like Gomez and the Brownlees. My understanding is that they can go 16:00-ish for 1500 scm.

this is not a bad base at all he looks like a strongish guy so well suited for the physical swimming in ITU.I guess you will have a better idea in 2 years time but this is not a bad place to start from.
For sure, showing up relatively untrained (triathlon wise) and having that sort of race is pretty amazing.

Agree we're not even sure if he'll continue, but it does seem a bit like Gwen getting into this sport. We'll either have forgotten his name or maybe be talking about how he might be a hopeful in Tokyo. He was flying though... and made it look easy as good runners do.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Morgan spent 10ish days at the OTC this summer getting "introduced" to the sport and training as a triathlete with the CRP program. Doesn't mean he has to stay in the sport but I can almost guarantee this race was *suggested* as an trial/attempt to seeing if he would like triathlon (plus an avenue to get elite card that is needed for itu pathway).

Ah, I see, thanks for informing us on this. Still seems kind of weird he did not mention his OTC training in his ST interview, but maybe it just wasn't that big of a deal to him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Ah, I see, thanks for informing us on this. Still seems kind of weird he did not mention his OTC training in his ST interview, but maybe it just wasn't that big of a deal to him.
Or not... have you ever been interviewed and or had a story written about you, a race, etc.? Sometimes the writer/s changes things you say a little, you forget to mention things... it is something I've learned from being written about/interviewed a few times. In fact I often have to contact the writer if the article hasn't gone to press to set some things straight or include a detail I probably should have mentioned in the interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there a rule about covering one's torso? Or is that only Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Or not... have you ever been interviewed and or had a story written about you, a race, etc.? Sometimes the writer/s changes things you say a little, you forget to mention things... it is something I've learned from being written about/interviewed a few times. In fact I often have to contact the writer if the article hasn't gone to press to set some things straight or include a detail I probably should have mentioned in the interview.

Right, I see your point. I have been interviewed a couple of times and had one or two stories written about me (not about triathlon though) and actually now that i think about it, i couldn't actually say what i really thought b/c that would have pissed some of the readers off, particularly my bosses. I could not tell them what a pile of B.S. I thought their program was, unless I just wanted to quit and find another job...:)

Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if he had aero bars on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman and ITU but not USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His road bike wasn't fitted with aero bars.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a QR bike in TeamUSA color theme and he wore one of the TYR USA kits for the race.

http://www.finisherpix.com/gallery/photo/en/usd/2067/4142/2067_003974#2067_003974
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had the swim as 790 meters and others I compared with showed similar distance so take his swim time as longer than standard 750 meters.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [Norsedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Norsedude wrote:
My Garmin had the swim as 790 meters and others I compared with showed similar distance so take his swim time as longer than standard 750 meters.

Are you sure the garmin watches are correct?

The difficulty of getting a fix on satellites when the receiver keeps losing the connection every second, combined with the fact that small side to side inaccuracies which hardly matter at 10 mph make huge differences at 2 miles per hour lead to consistently long readings for gps watches while swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Norsedude wrote:

Are you sure the garmin watches are correct?

The difficulty of getting a fix on satellites when the receiver keeps losing the connection every second, combined with the fact that small side to side inaccuracies which hardly matter at 10 mph make huge differences at 2 miles per hour lead to consistently long readings for gps watches while swimming.

There should be a continuous thread that reads:

YOUR GARMIN WATCH IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT, THE VOICE OF GOD.

That said, I do think the Olympic course was a little long .... at least the way I swam it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Also, how much would it suck to run under 16 minutes for a 5K and get smoked by 1'45"?

I'm not sure if I would cry, clap, or both.
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree but all the AG times were longer than usual even for a non wet suit swim. It was fairly consistent at between 30-50 meters long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Article in our local paper yesterday about an 17 year old girl who largely self-trained for this event, and ended up finishing 5th in the 15-19 age group, 13th overall, in the Sprint, and qualified for Gold Coast. She's a 2 x Illinois State track champion in the 800 (runner up last year in the 1600), and a good, if not remarkable, club swimmer. Her swim coach helped her prep for that leg this summer, but she used her track and cross country experience to create her own run training plan, and internet research to create her own cycling training plan. She was only ~4 minutes out of first overall female, with a bike pace under 21 mph.

Hope she caught somebody's eyes at USAT Junior Development. I can only imagine what she could do with some actual coaching, particularly on the bike.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/cross-country/2017-08-16/uni-high-runner-arielle-summitt-qualifies-world-triathlo

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone catch the results from the Mooloolaba World Cup last night? I fell asleep.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I watched the event. The bike kinda went snooze fest as 1/2 lap into it group of 35 formed main pack.

He looked good 1st lap of run as he and McElroy were shoulder shoulder in group of 5 for 2nd-7th.

The young Aussie broke after Murray on last lap and only Matt was able to semi respond. Morgan looked a bit faded last 2k of run.

But actually a really really good result for him in a true ocean swim (they had about 4’ breakers getting out and surfing in if you timed it right).

I’d say A+ result for 1st itu event.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morgan texted me and said he was a little uncomfortable on the bike, just needs more saddle time to get used to draft-legal racing. All in all, really strong races from Matt and Morgan with three Americans in the men's top 10

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: Morgan Pearson USA Triathlon National Champion in first race? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:

I’m connecting the dots now on who he is.

Swam quite well for his first WTS race, even if it was a wetsuit swim. Really cocked up his T1 but made the pack. Seemed to stay in the back the whole time. Ran behind the chase pack and finished a solid 15th.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next