Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What mods to transform my old carbon road bike into a commuter?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2005 Scattante carbon road bike that took me through a couple Ironman distance training seasons and races, and it's been my trainer bike since 2011 when I bought something better.

It's still a great bike, Ultegra drivetrain and shifters, narrow tires, compact crank and climbing cassette, and it seems a shame to sell it.

So I had an idea to toughen it up and turn it into a sturdy commuter bike. I'd be riding in the dark on fairly good residential and commercial streets, no dirt or sidewalks, but plenty of potholes that I might not see. I'd prefer not to carry a backpack, I'd rather have gear on a back rack or light pannier.

I searched for a thread on this and didn't find much, so my specific questions to you dedicated bike commuters are:

How wide and what type and brand of tires would add stability to this bike?

What rack, if any, would be smart to put on an 18-pound road bike?

Any other modifications?

Side note: I've already got a big, heavy steel commuter bike, which is great for the 4 mile ride to work, but not so great for the longer, hilly ride to my pool I'm expecting to do a couple mornings a week. Hence the shift to the lighter road bike.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: What mods to transform my old carbon road bike into a commuter? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the widest tyres that will clear the frame and brakes and that will happily go on the narrow rims. That might well mean 25mm, which would be fine. However, I'd go a bit bigger if it's an option. Something around 30mm would be nice.
Assuming you don't get perpetual dry weather, I'd prioritise mudguards over most other mods (bear in mind this could effect tyre clearance). I don't know the bike so don't know what racks or packs might fit. There are quite a few options when it comes to handlebar mounted bags, seatpost mounted bags, panniers, etc. I haven't tried any of them on a road bike. If you wanted to mount more than a small amount of baggage, I'd be inclined to stick with the steel bike, assuming it has mounts for racks?
Quote Reply
Re: What mods to transform my old carbon road bike into a commuter? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fenders and racks. And that may be easier said than done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, Scattante. Hard to beat a true Italian frameset. :)
(I've got one too. It was the cheapest component of my current build.)
Quote Reply
Re: What mods to transform my old carbon road bike into a commuter? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
Fenders and racks. And that may be easier said than done.

This.

And for my commuter I've used 23-25mm over the years. Probably preferred the 25mm more because it had better handling in winter conditions. Just depends how wide your bike can take. And I'd say definitely a rack, and fenders can be good to have too. I'd avoid any of the racks that attach just to the seatpost (i was never happy with the weight restriction). Ideally you have a rack that is able to attach to your frame at other points, though since it is a roadbike you may not have the eyelets. If that is the case you may have to get creative, such as using p-clamps from a hardware store. Here's a thread I've referenced in the past when considering such a conversion. http://www.bikeforums.net/...elets-bike-none.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a rack before but prefer using a backpack much more, easier to carry around before/after and I hated the way the bike felt with the extra weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I'd just ride it as is and use a commuter bike backpack. You can easily add a rear rack to road bikes if you do want panniers.

I don't think you'll need to worry about potholes & stuff - you should be avoiding those already, and having a 'studier' commuter bike doesn't mean you'll be plowing through them with abandon anyway.

I ride an entry level road racing bike for commuting from time to time now ( a lot more before) with no problem.

I'd say investing in a really good pair of front and rear lights is the most important thing come darkness riding.
Quote Reply
Re: What mods to transform my old carbon road bike into a commuter? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a lightweight rear rack from Bontrager that comes with a longer skewer and a brace for going around the downtube. Doesn't need the usual attachment points.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May not be a good idea on a carbon frame
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get some 25mm/28mm puncture resistant tires like the Conti GatorSkin and that would be it. I was thinking a rack for commuting but went with a nicer pack that was meant for commuting. I just liked it better in the end.

I know you mentioned a rack so I think something like the seatpost bolt on racks are ideal for a light weight commuting bike. OR a saddle pack which might just be the ticket again depending on what you need for the commute. If you can drop off clothing at work on Monday with lunches for the week then you do not have to worry about anything.

When I did my commuting it was 30km each way and I would drop off my clothing on Monday, ride T/W/T and then bring it all home on Friday. Rides were tempo on the way to work and then try to beat the time on the way home. It made me fast quick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for commuting a seatpost rack would be fine. The ones I've seen have a 10kg (22lb) weight limit, which is plenty for a daily commute. It's not like you are going on an extended tour.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What mods to transform my old carbon road bike into a commuter? [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Scattante is Italian for "made in Taiwan."

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Quote Reply