Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ID those racists? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Today I was sitting outside a grocery store waiting for my kid to come out. I saw a black woman and her young son pass by. I thought to myself what must she be thinking today and everyday? She's an easy target for racists. She's got a son and I am sure she wants him to grow up and be safe and have opportunities. Is every white person suspect? How awful to have to live in fear of violence, or verbal abuse or discrimination.

My family watched the events of this weekend together. We were horrified. As a parent I don't know what to do other than to try and be a role model to my kids. To instill in them that everyone should be treated fairly. That justice for all means exactly what it says. That you don't judge a person until you know them. I'm curious what other parents have told their kids?

i'll provide some insight. she's probably not thinking about it as much as you think. even though i am a POC, an overwhelming majority of my friends are white. i don't know the exact numbers, but i would say 80-90%. part of that is from spending my high school years in the suburbs, part of it is because the hobbies i do (triathlon and ice climbing.... you just don't see a lot of minorities in these sports).

i have grown up, and i con't to be surrounded by white people who fight the good fight just like i do. they despise racism, they denounce bigotry, and they demonstrate daily (to me) that i am no different from them. i'm fortunate, because of these people, when i see a racist, or experience racism, i don't think "all white people are racist". i do however feel "most racists are white" often when i experience racism. why? well, i've been called a racial slur ONCE by people of color. a group of young kids, (under 12-13 years old). i stopped counting the time i've been called a racial slur by a white person.
Quote Reply
Re: ID those racists? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Today I was sitting outside a grocery store waiting for my kid to come out. I saw a black woman and her young son pass by. I thought to myself what must she be thinking today and everyday? She's an easy target for racists. She's got a son and I am sure she wants him to grow up and be safe and have opportunities. Is every white person suspect? How awful to have to live in fear of violence, or verbal abuse or discrimination.

My family watched the events of this weekend together. We were horrified. As a parent I don't know what to do other than to try and be a role model to my kids. To instill in them that everyone should be treated fairly. That justice for all means exactly what it says. That you don't judge a person until you know them. I'm curious what other parents have told their kids?

i'll provide some insight. she's probably not thinking about it as much as you think. even though i am a POC, an overwhelming majority of my friends are white. i don't know the exact numbers, but i would say 80-90%. part of that is from spending my high school years in the suburbs, part of it is because the hobbies i do (triathlon and ice climbing.... you just don't see a lot of minorities in these sports).

i have grown up, and i con't to be surrounded by white people who fight the good fight just like i do. they despise racism, they denounce bigotry, and they demonstrate daily (to me) that i am no different from them. i'm fortunate, because of these people, when i see a racist, or experience racism, i don't think "all white people are racist". i do however feel "most racists are white" often when i experience racism. why? well, i've been called a racial slur ONCE by people of color. a group of young kids, (under 12-13 years old). i stopped counting the time i've been called a racial slur by a white person.

I don't believe for a second that most racists are white. As a white male that has friends of all races and religions I have experienced racism from all people. I had a really good black friend in college and he invited me to a party where I was the only white person there. Being my normal self I start talking to people and immediately I notice that everyone there is giving me the cold shoulder. I see my friend over talking to some other people and they are all pissed, he walks over and says lets get out of here. Basically his black fiends didn't want a white kid at their party. This was in 1997 at a college in Illinois. Another time in Chicago I am out running all 6 feet 150 lbs of me and a car of Puerto Ricans pull up next to me and say you better run whitey because we are going to get you. They stop at the next light and 3 big guys get out of the car and start to give chase. I think they were just messing with me but at the time I was scared. I married a Chinese girl and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten ugly looks from other Chinese people or heard them say something about me because they don't think I understand Mandarin. I could go on but I think I made my point. Racism isn't a white problem. Whites are not more racist than other races. Most people aren't racist and some of the nicest most welcoming people I have ever met are POC. If we are going to move past this stuff as a society we need to stop separating people by their race and just look at people for who they are.
Quote Reply
Re: ID those racists? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i stopped counting the time i've been called a racial slur by a white person.

Where are you that you are being called racial slurs?

I know some racist people but I don't know anybody, nor heard of anyone (I'll give you a couple exceptions below) call another person a racial slur to their face.

Exceptions...

1. I have a lot of Mexican friends and a couple black friends and many of my Mexican friends have insulted black people with slurs (but these are hard dudes who have been in prison). Also I've heard it the other way (blacks insulting Mexicans). It seems blacks and Mexicans sometimes don't get along.

2. I train jiu jitsu at a racially diverse academy and we smack talk each other quite a bit. Racially based smack talk is part of that. However, that one word that rhymes with "bigger" is off limits.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: ID those racists? [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I don't believe for a second that most racists are white. As a white male that has friends of all races and religions I have experienced racism from all people. I had a really good black friend in college and he invited me to a party where I was the only white person there. Being my normal self I start talking to people and immediately I notice that everyone there is giving me the cold shoulder. I see my friend over talking to some other people and they are all pissed, he walks over and says lets get out of here. Basically his black fiends didn't want a white kid at their party. This was in 1997 at a college in Illinois. Another time in Chicago I am out running all 6 feet 150 lbs of me and a car of Puerto Ricans pull up next to me and say you better run whitey because we are going to get you. They stop at the next light and 3 big guys get out of the car and start to give chase. I think they were just messing with me but at the time I was scared. I married a Chinese girl and I can't tell you how many times I have gotten ugly looks from other Chinese people or heard them say something about me because they don't think I understand Mandarin. I could go on but I think I made my point. Racism isn't a white problem. Whites are not more racist than other races. Most people aren't racist and some of the nicest most welcoming people I have ever met are POC. If we are going to move past this stuff as a society we need to stop separating people by their race and just look at people for who they are.

But the teachings in vogue at the moment are that only the race that's on top (white, according to most) can be "racist" and therefore suffer the moral opprobrium that comes with the "ism" that's being practiced. All other races are merely responding to the racism that's been flowing downhill to them (thus the lack of a discussion of a double standard in race relations).

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: ID those racists? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.npr.org/...-on-twitter-as-a-rac

Remember when Spike Lee retweeted the wrong home address for George Zimmerman? The people who lived at the address he retweeted sued him and the case settled, but what recourse is there when the mistaken ID is made by some random yuck on the Internet?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: ID those racists? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that when you protest in public you give up your right to privacy. Not only would I be fine giving up a Nazi/White Supremist that I recognized, but I'd also love to turn in BLM and AntiFA people that I recognized.

Unfortunately since I don't really run in those circles, it's probably not going to happen.

But the truth is that any deplorable people (Left or Right) doing deplorable things in public deserve to lose whatever they lose.
Quote Reply

Prev Next