Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming in Manhattan
Quote | Reply
I am going to be on a business trip the last week of August and looking for swimming options near/in Central Park. I have been reading about Lasker Pool, but the online information is a little spotty. Any slowtwitchers use this pool? Can visitors use for a daily fee? Any other good options in this area? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [Howe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!

You have 2 general options

1. The City has a bunch of public outdoor pools that have evening and morning lap hours. Open until Sept 10 These are free.https://www.nycgovparks.org/...lities/outdoor-pools

2. YMCA - has a bunch of pools around the edge of the park. You can get a free guest pass for 1 visit - or if you are a memeber at home of a YMCA you can get i think 3 free visits

Specifics - there are a few other options around the perimeter of the park - but options would vary based on where exactly you are staying
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [plumber250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That is really helpful. Staying at Hilton Midtown 1335 6th Avenue.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your best options near Central Park:
  • Lasker Pool: Olympic length, have to register for time slots I think? The below link should be helpful, but think admission is free. If you're staying in the Midtown area it's definitely more of a hike but the 2/3 train goes right there so it's pretty accessible.

• https://www.nycgovparks.org/reg/lap-swim/374
  • Equinox: Columbus Circle, East 63rd, UWS Sports Club locations all have indoor salt pools. Believe they/people claim the pools are 25 meters in length but they definitely feel on the shorter side to me. Think day pass is $50 so definitely on the more expensive side.
  • West Side YMCA: 63rd street and Central Park West. They have a standard swimming pool, you can snag a free day pass off their website. They're closed some time at the end of August through Labor Day though for maintenance, in case that conflicts with when you're coming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Central Park is a pretty big park. Can you be more specific where you're staying? UWS, UES, Midtown, Harlem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howe wrote:
I am going to be on a business trip the last week of August and looking for swimming options near/in Central Park. I have been reading about Lasker Pool, but the online information is a little spotty. Any slowtwitchers use this pool? Can visitors use for a daily fee? Any other good options in this area? Thanks!

If you go during open swim, you're not likely to be able to do a workout. Even during "lap swim" hours, Lasker is less than ideal if your goal is a focused workout. My wife and I were once swimming in the "fast lane" and passed the same not-so-fast swimmer a few times. At one point we hit the wall together and politely reminded him that he was in the fast lane. His response? "I'm swimming as fast as i can!" Lasker is fine if your goal is to do an unstructured swim and if you're not going to stress over the lack of organization. If you go, be sure to bring your own lock. The good news is that it's free.

July 5 – September 1, Mondays through Fridays
Early Bird: 7:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. (July - September)
Night Owl: 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. (July), ends at dusk (August - September)

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last time I was in Manhattan (Christmas) I swam at Riverbank State Park, W144th and Riverside Dr in Upper Manhattan. Even though I was staying around W62nd and Riverside it was an easy subway ride there. Great indoor 50m pool and only a couple of bucks to get in each morning. I think they also have an outdoor pool open during the summer.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Central Park is a pretty big park. Can you be more specific where you're staying? UWS, UES, Midtown, Harlem?

Midtown at the New York Hilton Midtown. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. The Equinox at Columbus Circle is probably your closest option, though not the cheapest. You could probably ask for a trial membership if you pretend like you're interested in joining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're really desperate for something very close by, the NYHRC is on 56th b/tw 6 and 7 and has a 17-18 yard pool. The length definitely sucks but usually not crowded and I've found I can talk to the people at the front and they usually let me in for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howe wrote:
Staying at Hilton Midtown 1335 6th Avenue.

Before I retired, my firm did a lot of work in NYC. This is the hotel I always preferred to stay at in midtown. Our daughter lives in NYC and my wife and I always stay at the Hilton Midtown when we visit. We really like the property and its location. Ask for a room on the CP side. Good choice, IMO.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
last time I was in Manhattan (Christmas) I swam at Riverbank State Park, W144th and Riverside Dr in Upper Manhattan. Even though I was staying around W62nd and Riverside it was an easy subway ride there. Great indoor 50m pool and only a couple of bucks to get in each morning. I think they also have an outdoor pool open during the summer.

Hey Mike, I am going to be in NYC in early Sep so the concept of swimming 50m is nice. Do you know if it is set up 50m long course or divided into 25 yard widths or two 25m sections? I don't mind making the trek over if it is 50m long course, but won't go out of my way for 25m or 25yard as I am up in Westchester County visiting some family and going into mid town for some biz.

Anyone else can you suggest any 50m options in NYC or Westchester county?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How early? There are a few of the free outdoor pools that are 50 - but only open until 10th September
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plumber250 wrote:
How early? There are a few of the free outdoor pools that are 50 - but only open until 10th September

Actually I am there Sep 8-11, so I could get to some of the outdoor 50m option on 8-9-10 Sep. That is great to hear! What options do you suggest?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is your year round banker

https://www.asphaltgreen.org/ues

Home to many of the tri clubs

And I like this outdoor one. As someone else mentioned its not always full of people aiming to compete at the olympics, but its a good set up.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/highbridge-park/facilities/outdoor-pools/highbridge-pool

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be aware that Asphalt Green is closing both of their pools from Aug 20 - Sept 5. You'll have to find another pool if your trip overlaps with those dates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plumber250 wrote:
Here is your year round banker

https://www.asphaltgreen.org/ues

Home to many of the tri clubs

And I like this outdoor one. As someone else mentioned its not always full of people aiming to compete at the olympics, but its a good set up.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/highbridge-park/facilities/outdoor-pools/highbridge-pool

....and of course there is the Kosmo Kramer option where you can have the additional thrill of swimming alongside US Airways flights that need to ditch in the Hudson. A NYC thread cannot be left untouched without some link to the show about nothing

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 16, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watch out for the Coney Island Whitefish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some digging and it looks like the Riverbank pool is closed from Labor Day till October 1st if I understand the schedule right. I tried calling but just got a recording that didn't really help.
The other catch is that the adult lap swimming is from 6:30am till 8:30am but you have to have a punch card to get in, can't pay on the spot. You can buy a punch card at their office (can't buy online) but only after 9am. I lucked out the first time I went and paid someone else coming in to use a punch on their card then purchased a card after my swim. Card is good for 5 swims for $15. Once you have a card it can be refilled online and they don't expire. Worked for me since I go to NYC about 2 or 3 times a year.
The indoor pool is set up long course every morning. They also have an outdoor short course pool but that also closes after Labor Day.

https://parks.ny.gov/...plexPoolSchedule.pdf

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a follow up, i used the West Side YMCA and it was great!. Thanks for all the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in Manhattan [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
I did some digging and it looks like the Riverbank pool is closed from Labor Day till October 1st if I understand the schedule right. I tried calling but just got a recording that didn't really help.
The other catch is that the adult lap swimming is from 6:30am till 8:30am but you have to have a punch card to get in, can't pay on the spot. You can buy a punch card at their office (can't buy online) but only after 9am. I lucked out the first time I went and paid someone else coming in to use a punch on their card then purchased a card after my swim. Card is good for 5 swims for $15. Once you have a card it can be refilled online and they don't expire. Worked for me since I go to NYC about 2 or 3 times a year.
The indoor pool is set up long course every morning. They also have an outdoor short course pool but that also closes after Labor Day.

https://parks.ny.gov/...plexPoolSchedule.pdf

Hey Mike it is unclear from this if it is open or not.

I am going to be up in Larchmont in Westchester County Fri-Mon AM, so if anyone can point to a pool that is open that I can do lap swim, I would be really appreciative. If I can't swim, I will go crazy since it is pretty well the only thing I can do right now and I need some fix of exercise.
Quote Reply