Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mini Kona Update
Quote | Reply
I've been mega afk this season due to continued problems with my left knee and other things (building a new house). I wanted to get a very quick update out about a few things before I post the full 2017 version of the Kona Survival guide. The full 2017 guide will be posted late this week. Here's my response to a comment posted recently in the 2016 guide.

>I'll have the 2017 version up soon. Later this week most likely. I've been a bit preoccupied with other matters and I'm still recovering from a meniscus tear so I've been way behind in my Slowtwitch forum monitoring!

There have been a few things of concern in town of late that athletes and their families might want to know about:

1. Water Restrictions. There are 5 deep fresh water wells out of service on the west side. The Department of Water Services has restricted water use to hygiene, drinking and cooking only. The resorts are on notice about their water use. The restrictions are almost guaranteed to remain in effect through the big dance. It's possible there may be limited outages or limited low pressure situations during the influx of athletes.

2. Bike Shops. Oliver Kiel shut down Cycle Station shortly after the Lavaman triathlon this year. He decided to focus on his other businesses. That leaves Bike Works as the only brick and mortar bike shop in town. If you traditionally used Cycle Station, you need to make other arrangements. NOW. In addition to Bike Works you also have the option of using VeloFix Hawaii for your biking needs. Velofix will come to you in their big red Van. Velofix can be reached on the web or +1 (808) 785-5159, +1 (888) 453-2717, or nicknelson@velofix.com. Bike Works can be reached at 1 (808) 326-2453, and http://www.bikeworkskona.com/. Also don't forget the services offered through Ironman.

3. Queen K. This should have been the first race with the newly remodeled Queen K all the way out to the airport. Nope. Shortly after last year's race it was discovered that the new highway design (from the Harbor to the airport) failed to account for registered historic trails and had penetrated these trails in several spots. That meant a halt to construction while a new plan was developed. Construction is on again but will not be finished in time for the race. There are several spots that have very narrow shoulders near the harbor on the south bound makai side of the highway. Ride single file and be careful.

More to follow.<

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Aug 14, 17 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I'm presuming the resorts I mentioned are the hotels in town and down at Keauhou. The Waikoloa Beach resort area is actually outside the affected area according to the DWS press release.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great up-dates.

I'm looking forward to a possible return to Kona for the IRONMAN World Championships for some work with a few clients, this year. Missed last year.

Also looking forward to contributing as I have in the past to the annual Kona Survival Guide thread, that KonaCoffee always puts up.

Wondering if the Slowtwitch Party will be revived??

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Great up-dates.

I'm looking forward to a possible return to Kona for the IRONMAN World Championships for some work with a few clients, this year. Missed last year.

Also looking forward to contributing as I have in the past to the annual Kona Survival Guide thread, that KonaCoffee always puts up.

Wondering if the Slowtwitch Party will be revived??
Should the Slowtwitch Gathering make a return to the Big Island, will the golden voice of Fleck be in attendance?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he's not, I'm free. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
are you saying the golden voice and lovely lens of GG will be fire dancing in Kona?

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to if I could find a gig there. Such a magical place.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What in gods green earth does "afk" mean? My wife and I have been thinking but we can't figure it out. I hate acronyms.
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [mambwe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
american football conference, or away from keyboard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do the water restrictions mean for pools at condo's. Need to prepare my kids now if they will be dry.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hooray! Every year your survival guide is my favorite thread of the year. Looking forward to it again although I won't be on the island this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mambwe wrote:
What in gods green earth does "afk" mean? My wife and I have been thinking but we can't figure it out. I hate acronyms.

Away From Keyboard. You need more teenagers in your world...

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Works has very, very few bikes remaining at least prior to Saturday (and pretty much <50 and >60 only for road bikes). Anyone have any other suggestions before I hit up bike flights? Not racing, playing sherpa for a tandem...planning on swimming and riding a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
What do the water restrictions mean for pools at condo's. Need to prepare my kids now if they will be dry.

Thanks

The water restrictions are for the North Kona service area only. That area runs from Keauhou (and includes the Sheraton, The Raquet Club etc) north to the airport, mauka from the airport to the Makalei Country Club on the upper highway then back south to roughly Honalo. That's where a lot of people stay. If you're staying further north at the Waikoloa Beach resorts, Waikoloa Village, Waimea (Kamulea), Hawi, South Kona etc. you're ok.

Now the twist from today's paper. The DWS (Department of Water Services) is going to rob Peter to pay Paul. They're taking the parts for a Waimea pump repair and going to see if they will work on the Honokohau Well that failed Saturday. If it does, then that mega well will come back online and the severe restrictions will be lifted leaving us with the on-going 25% reduction (be careful in how you use your water type restrictions).

All of which means that if this is ongoing, the pools may be a bit low. Get them excited about swimming with the fish at the snorkeling areas. If they get the well up and running I'll let folks know in this thread and in the 2017 Survival thread when it gets posted. I'll get some swimming beach information and snorkeling information in as well.

And now for something completely different:

If you're in town very early the Kukio Blue water Swim will be held Saturday September 23. 1.2 miles up north. The Ho‘ala Ironman Training Swim (2.4 miles) is on October 7. Both require registration.

http://www.active.com/...blue-water-swim-2017

Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Aug 15, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mambwe wrote:

As SLO pointed out, Away From Keyboard. My former professions was pretty much the king of TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms), I tend to forget that not everyone has that background. Mostly I've been a slug and feeling sorry for myself (more or less) about the chronic knee injury and what it means for my athletic endeavors. But things are looking up, my orthopedic surgeon told me to go run -- just not hard. So I'm going to go do that before it gets too hot (almost 6 am here). Aloha.

Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Bike Works has very, very few bikes remaining at least prior to Saturday (and pretty much <50 and >60 only for road bikes). Anyone have any other suggestions before I hit up bike flights? Not racing, playing sherpa for a tandem...planning on swimming and riding a lot.

Call Nick Nelson (VeloFix Hawaii) today. I know he watches these threads occasionally too but a call would be faster. I dropped Oliver a note (I haven't actually seen him in ages) to see if the Cycle Station rentals are still available. If they are I'll let people know. Just remember it's 3 hours earlier than Los Angeles out here. Do not call right now (6 am HST). ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are staying a few block South of Hugo's. I think that is part of the North Kona district if I looked at a map correctly, yes?. Me personally I enjoy the ocean, but the kids live at the pool when we are not out and about.
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhouckwsu wrote:
We are staying a few block South of Hugo's. I think that is part of the North Kona district if I looked at a map correctly, yes?. Me personally I enjoy the ocean, but the kids live at the pool when we are not out and about.

Yes it is. Smack in the middle of it. Stay tuned for an update on the well repairs. My gut feeling is that the serious water restrictions will be lifted, but I've been known to be wrong.

Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Hooray! Every year your survival guide is my favorite thread of the year. Looking forward to it again although I won't be on the island this year.

Got a couch you can sleep on and a beater bike for the ride to the pier. No excuses. :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Got a couch you can sleep on and a beater bike for the ride to the pier. No excuses. :)

Believe me I tried to figure out a way to make it work at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately I've got to be in Vegas for a work event at 7:30 am on Sunday morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:

It looks like the Bikeworks in Waikoloa still has a decent selection of bikes left for Ironman week. Minimum 7 day rental for that week. It's about 25 minutes north of the airport (the opposite direction from Kailua-Kona).

http://www.bikeworkshawaii.com/bike-rental/
Quote Reply
Re: Mini Kona Update [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Gary,

Quit moving on on my territory! :)

That's it, I'm bringing my camera! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Gary,

Quit moving on on my territory! :)

That's it, I'm bringing my camera! :)

LOL! Steve, I know well that I'm far better BEHIND the camera. The voice and face time are all yours buddy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2017 version of the update is somewhat delayed. I'll have it up Thursday or Friday. I was waiting to see what would happen on two fronts before posting

First, the fresh water situation. News there is not good. The severe restrictions are virtually guaranteed to last through the big dance. Water use for cooking, cleaning and hygiene only. Expect a crispy town in all heavily landscaped areas.

Second, the Queen K temporary realignment. The road will be switched to the configuration it will be in during week configuration tomorrow or Thursday. I'd like to see first hand how the transition areas look for cyclists before i post the update. That occurs at Kohanaiki (The road that Matsuyama's on the Queen K is on) and Kaiminani (near the airport).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2017 version of the update is somewhat delayed. I'll have it up Thursday or Friday. I was waiting to see what would happen on two fronts before posting

Great news!

Look forward to seeing it and helping out as best as I can.

Also, look forward to returning to Kona after having been away for a year, and perhaps you and I can have that cup of Kona Coffee together that we've been talking about! :)

Quote Reply