Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Las Vegas
Quote | Reply
Morning All- Ill be out in Vegas for a few days this weekend and want to try and get in a few workouts. Im staying at the Cosmo on the strip, and coming from the east coast (so Ill be up pretty early). Based on a quick search, there arent a ton of options for riding (based on my time limitations), but running should not be a problem and swimming is best done in Henderson? Any other tips or ideas? Are there good spin classes?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [Fluffyfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you plan to run on the strip, I'd hold off until about 30 minutes after sunrise.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another tip regarding running, go south from Cosmo if you want minimal interruptions and stairs. Go north if you want the scenery of the strip, just be aware that you'll be going up and down lots of pedestrian overpasses and waiting at crosswalks.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
Another tip regarding running, go south from Cosmo if you want minimal interruptions and stairs. Go north if you want the scenery of the strip, just be aware that you'll be going up and down lots of pedestrian overpasses and waiting at crosswalks.

This.

When I'm in Vegas I never plan any serious run workouts. It's just about getting out for a few miles to clear my head before the workday starts.

I'll be there this Thursday for just one day with my son - college visit to UNLV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just out there last weekend. Thought I'd do the same and get some running and swimming in. Didn't end up doing any of it. Late nights, excessive drinking, lack of sleep squashed all my workout plans. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Henderson has a masters team on weekends, I believe. During the week, the masters team in LV at desert breeze is amazing--I highly recommend it. Also, for swimming alone, I was just at Hollywood, and they had a big rec area but the nice separate lap pool was practically unused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cosmo has 2 gyms. The nice one does not have great hours. The other one is fine for the treadmills. At 5 AM the lobby of the hotel is "entertaining"
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
dgunthert wrote:

This.

When I'm in Vegas I never plan any serious run workouts. It's just about getting out for a few miles to clear my head before the workday starts.

I'll be there this Thursday for just one day with my son - college visit to UNLV.

x3 and I will add that if you can get behind the strip on Frank Sinatra you can avoid the stairs all together. That's usually the route I will take down to the south of Mandalay Bay events center, then get back on strip down and run down past the Welcome to Las Vegas sign and back.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have the ability to drive out to the Henderson Aquatic Center, I would recommend driving a bit farther and running the railroad trails along Lake Mead which connect up to the Hoover Dam. Very nice trails and great views. Also, if you wanted to drive West of the strip, Red Rock Canyon is AWESOME! The rail road trails are about 40 minutes from the strip and red rock canyon is about 20 minutes.

Whatever you do, be sure to put it all on red 19 when you are back at Cosmo!

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, if you do have a car, then 40 minutes North is Mt Charleston. You drive to ~7,900' elevation, then climb to ~10,100 and have glorious running for 4 miles that puts Chautauqua Park (Boulder, CO) to shame, then you can summit the mountain at 12,000' and return back down.

That's 23 miles you will not forget đŸ˜‰

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there in late July. It's hot, but I'm from the midwest where the humidity is very very high. My wife and I were shocked at how "nice" their 100-degrees felt compared to our 90's with such high humidity. I felt like I could have easily had a very nice run.

However, I think my body adapted to the dry heat and by day 3 those 100-112 degree days were stifling. Or perhaps it was the alcohol wrecking my system.

In any case, I think I would do my long run the day I landed (or early in the trip). I got a few 4-5 milers later in the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not plan to run on the Strip, but to each their own. The big intersections all have pedestrian bridges, so lots of stairs to climb for all those, plus some are integrated with hotels so you're ducking inside then back out. And there will be people. Lots of people. It's vegas, people of all sort are out on the sidewalks at all hours of day and night. Less people around sunrise, sure, but bottom line if you run on the Strip don't expect a smooth, uninterrupted, peaceful, scenic time.

+1 on riding red rock canyon. Wife and I took an uber to procyclery and rented bikes, did a 30 ish mile loop starting right there from the shop. Beautiful. Scenic loop road within the park itself is freshly paved, it's a heavenly strip of asphalt to ride. Can't vouch for procyclery enough. Great people, great shop, and I rented a brand new 7k Wilier road bike with dura ace 9100. If you have the time and legs, there's routes up to 100 miles to be had.

Charleston peak looks sick, haven't been there yet but it's on my radar if I go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I would not plan to run on the Strip, but to each their own. The big intersections all have pedestrian bridges, so lots of stairs to climb for all those, plus some are integrated with hotels so you're ducking inside then back out. And there will be people. Lots of people. It's vegas, people of all sort are out on the sidewalks at all hours of day and night. Less people around sunrise, sure, but bottom line if you run on the Strip don't expect a smooth, uninterrupted, peaceful, scenic time.

+1 on riding red rock canyon. Wife and I took an uber to procyclery and rented bikes, did a 30 ish mile loop starting right there from the shop. Beautiful. Scenic loop road within the park itself is freshly paved, it's a heavenly strip of asphalt to ride. Can't vouch for procyclery enough. Great people, great shop, and I rented a brand new 7k Wilier road bike with dura ace 9100. If you have the time and legs, there's routes up to 100 miles to be had.

Charleston peak looks sick, haven't been there yet but it's on my radar if I go back.

I bought my new Cervelo P3 from them and had a similar experience. Great people and great shop for rental and purchase. BTW, the Mt Charleston Hill Climb is a "thing" to conquer when you have the time and legs ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Red Rock loop. We were downtown and hit Alta Drive most of the way in and out of the city. Loved it. I'm not sure how my video of the ride/route ended up 20minutes long, but if you want to have a look, here's what it's all about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tIoLt8dSA

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the time to get away for a few hours, and like MTB'ing, I'd recommend going to Blue Diamond (24mi) and go to McGhie's Bike shop for a rental. Great trails and super helpful staff.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
+1 on the Red Rock loop. We were downtown and hit Alta Drive most of the way in and out of the city. Loved it. I'm not sure how my video of the ride/route ended up 20minutes long, but if you want to have a look, here's what it's all about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tIoLt8dSA

Nice video, almost made me miss Vegas.

Even Tony Soprano loves Red Rock Canyon.

Quote Reply
Re: Las Vegas [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all. Appreciate the guidance. I think I may Uber out to the Henderson pool one morning and swim and do a run from there. That area looks nice?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Henderson Multigenerational Center is a top notch pool.

If you are going to run from there, google Union Pacific Trail. You can pick it up within 0.5 mi from the pool. That being said, this is a multiuse path and not very scenic ... but low use so great to use for training runs.

Or, if you want great trail running, McCullough Trail is a quick uber/lyft from the pool https://www.alltrails.com/...cullough-hills-trail

Hope it goes well.

John
Quote Reply