Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pre 2016 aeolus 7/9 vs FC 808's
Quote | Reply
Conundrum. The tax man was generous and I'm tossing up a pair of zipp 808's - costing me $2700 for the pair (Aus $, 2 year warranty etc etc). I have, however, found an add for a near new (5 race old) Aeolus 7/9 set for $1650aus (2014model). Both carbon clincher, this will be used mainly for sprints, lots of corners, braking, with one or two halfs a year at most. Bike is current gen speed concept (I know, the bontys scream trek anyway).
Is spending an extra 1k worth that 'new zipp feeling and warranty' do you think?

Anyone used the previous gen Aeolus 7/9 and have any comments?

I assume they are probably a wash speed wise.

Anyone raced an 808 full time and wished they had a 404 from being pushed around? Id be on an 808's full time (training aside) with a disc on occasion.
Quote Reply
Re: pre 2016 aeolus 7/9 vs FC 808's [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've owned Aeolus and zip 808 as well as 404's.

I like all of them. The zipp 808's, I felt I could only use the front on a really calm day. Although, any downhill over 35 mph, I didn't like how the front end felt. You just get knocked around a lot. I had 50mm and 65mm Aeolus. I felt safe enough on the 65mm that I sold the 50mm.

Over the years, I sold all of my wheels except for a set of 404's. I'm not fast enough that a few minutes faster would matter.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: pre 2016 aeolus 7/9 vs FC 808's [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that! I have read some find the 808 a little twitchy if the gusts are there on occasion. Bontys might be the way to go
Quote Reply