Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First (new) tri bike help
Quote | Reply
First season of Tri for me. I love it. I love the training most of all. I'm not as sore as I was constantly playing rugby and I want to upgrade to my first purchased bike and pass my old bike off to a rugby friend that will train with me. I don't have a lot of money I want to blow right now. I have 3 options I'm looking at for introductory bikes. I have not had a formal fitting but I have tried a few out in my price range ~$1500. All three felt better than my current 2005 TREK Equinox 7.

Option 1) Fuji Norcom 2.5; $1599, feels fast, feels comfortable. It's a 2015 but they still have my size and a super big discount.
Option 2) Blue Triad SP $1299, very comfortable. I didn't feel quite as fast. Maybe even felt a little high but the bike wasn't fully configured to my ride position (which has been mildly changing)
Option 3) Kestrel Talon Tri $1199, Probably my least favorite, but it's cheaper and comes with ultegra while the other 2 are the 105 group sets. It also is the cheapest and I need to consider a few more costs like new pedals and a new bike computer. I will definitely be pushing budget on the Norcom. However, i could pull the old pedals and computer from the trek (will need to get replaced soon but maybe not yet).

I have tried some aluminum options and some more expensive too. I did like the cervelo P1, but that was even more expensive. All the bikes feel better and more responsive than my old Trek and I would love to get my friend out riding with me and pass on the free (spent money some on parts and tune up).

Does anyone ride these bikes? Any insight?

Thanks!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: First (new) tri bike help [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless the extra 400$ is a deal breaker, don't buy your least favorite bike. You'll feel like you settled and be stuck with a bike you are meh about for years.

Source: I do this with many major purchases, unfortunately...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the one that you want, and fits! By the way the equinox is a pretty quick bike.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Norcom is a very fast bike, on par with the venerable P4. The only downside is that the brakes suck (though if set up properly they're passable). Also, the stock aero bar isn't very aero but such is the case for almost all bikes at this price point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Talon road model with the Ultegra set. I had it set up at a local shop to ensure it was all correct. The gears shift great and the brakes are good. I did change the saddle though. For the cost, it's a pretty damn good bike. This is my second Kestrel (the other is a RT 1000).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as others... buy what felt great. And be sure you feel good about it... or you will be looking again in six months.
Quote Reply