Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
First part of the question is in the title regardless of fat type?

Second part of the question; Does your answer change if the fat type is unsaturated vs saturated fat?

Assume for this, carb source is fairly refined sugar such as in soda, white bread, in energy/granola bars, juices or high glycemic fruits. The type of things most people end up snacking on. Exclude fairly complex carbos (ex from low glycemic vegetables) for your answer, mainly because these are not readily accessible snacks for most people except for the most organized amongst us.

Also assume this is not during exercise and also you can assume that it is early enough in the day that what you eat early in the day may or may not affect your total calorie gain/deficit over the day (ie gain or lose weight).

It depends. Really, it depends on who you are and what you're trying to do. No absolute answer....except that refined sugars are almost never a good idea for anyone.
Last edited by: PT: Aug 13, 17 2:35
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
Can I assume a caloric deficit for the day?

If so........my answer is.....it doesn't matter :)

Sure, assume a caloric deficit for the day. Now assume through the day, for your non protein calories and non complex carbs for the day, for every 100 cals you take in you have choice of the refined carbs or fats. Which would you take to get to your desired deficit?

Well, I'm not a nutritionist or dietitian. But, in my head......if I'm in a caloric deficit, I wouldn't think it would matter. So, I'd go by taste (whichever was in front of me that looked like it tasted better).
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
Can I assume a caloric deficit for the day?

If so........my answer is.....it doesn't matter :)

Sure, assume a caloric deficit for the day. Now assume through the day, for your non protein calories and non complex carbs for the day, for every 100 cals you take in you have choice of the refined carbs or fats. Which would you take to get to your desired deficit?

Well, I'm not a nutritionist or dietitian. But, in my head......if I'm in a caloric deficit, I wouldn't think it would matter. So, I'd go by taste (whichever was in front of me that looked like it tasted better).

I am no mechanic but if I am at the gas station and my tank is empty, I could put methanol, gasoline or diesel. So I would go by price, whichever was in front of me and was cheaper :-)

Good news is the body will take whatever you give it but that may not be what is ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK, in that case let's say you are going to consume 100 cals protein, 100 cals complex carbs and 100 cals of something else all at the same time. Those last 100 cals of something else, what you put in your salad or sandwich...where will they come from? Basically trying to get at whether you will trend your overall diet more to fat centric than sugar centric

Bacon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather consume 100 calories from fat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a better thread if you stated the purpose of the question? Why do you want to know about some arbitrary and unrealistic question with a dozen disclaimers?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
This might be a better thread if you stated the purpose of the question? Why do you want to know about some arbitrary and unrealistic question with a dozen disclaimers?

From post 19 above, Dev says:
OK, in that case let's say you are going to consume 100 cals protein, 100 cals complex carbs and 100 cals of something else all at the same time. Those last 100 cals of something else, what you put in your salad or sandwich...where will they come from? Basically trying to get at whether you will trend your overall diet more to fat-centric than sugar-centric.

Personally, I shoot for a pretty even mix of fat and carbs with moderate protein, e.g. roughly 45% fat, 45% carbs, and 10% protein. I've found that my body shifts to burning mainly fat flawlessly when i get hungry IF my last meal had a fair amount of fat. If the last meal was mainly carbs and protein, then I will likely go hypoglycemic (with the shakes and sweating in extreme cases) before settling into the fat burning mode.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just confused why protein isn't a choice, given that you're asking about macronutrients.

What spurred the question in the first place?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Would you rather consume 100 cals of carbs or 100 cals from fat [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I'm just confused why protein isn't a choice, given that you're asking about macronutrients.

What spurred the question in the first place?

It's not that protein is not a choice. I am just assuming you are going to get your protein in over the day and just wondering for the non protein, how you prefer to break it down. Maybe I should have not focused on the 100 cal number and just said for your "non protein calories how do you prefer to break it down". I just went down to 100 because it was mainly an adder portion around a snack (do I add olive oil or butter to what is on my plate or do I add jam or honey). In any case, I am just assuming everyone is getting enough protein so for the non protein how athletes prefer to break it down and would like to see if our trends are any different from non athletes who I had discussion with about food breakdown. In theory athletes should need a higher proportion from carbs than non athletes. In practice, I don't think that non athlete trend to any less carbs than us.
Quote Reply

Prev Next