Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

antibiotics before IM
Quote | Reply
I got a skin infection (furuncle) 6 days ago. Went to see a doctor straight away and the suggestion was to take antibiotics. I said that i have a full distance IM in two weeks and what could be side effects. The doctor wasn't very positive about antibiotics and competition saying that it might do some damage to my liver if I get dehydrated . So she suggested to try treat it without antibiotics.
5 days later furuncle matured and I felt that it needed to be cut I went to the clinic again but this time I met another doctor who opened the furuncle to let the pus come out. But this doctor prescribed me antibiotics (Heracillin or Bioclavid) and didn't say much whether it could do harm for me if I compete. So I got a bit puzzled a) should I take antibiotics its 7 days left to IM (I think i should) b) can I compete and what harm can they do if any ? which one would be better Heracillin or Bioclavid ?
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotics before IM [vaitas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 are you ill from it now. I'd say just ask you doc what you need to do but since this is the internet, my quick thoughts:

Take this for what it's worth as that is not an abx in the US but it is a penicillin class abx. looks like Heracillin is one drug whereas Bioclavid is aka Augmentin in the US and has 2 drugs (one of which is in PCN class) . Both will have issues if you have renal issues as they need some dosage adjustments and can cause renal impairment. The Bioclavid has no reported hepatic issues but Lexicomp (big drug reference site) mentions care when using if hepatic dysfunction is present.

Options for you that I can see though I don't know which is best for you.
1. Take the abx and race. Anecdotally I've taken care of literally thousands of ICU patients with hepatic dysfunction and don't adjust dosing for liver failure. Renal issues, yes. Remember though your body likely will have some inflammation and dehydration from the IM.

2. Likely you won't suffer any issues but if you were really concerned then take the abx and get your renal/liver tests check 2 days before for your mental well-being going into the race. Depending on the duration of the abx you might be able to get away with 5 days of abx.

2. Treat conservatively with good wound cleaning and first sign of infection take abx. Now this is probably not the best way due to the fact that once you get sick you would already be behind the 8 ball

good luck.
Last edited by: IMStillTrying: Aug 12, 17 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotics before IM [vaitas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bioclavid (Amoxicillin/Clavulanate) is stronger. Covers more bacteria. Likely indicated if your diabetic d/t certain bacteria being more likely. off the top of my head it's one of the most prescribed abx ( i think top 3 outpatient in USA) d/t broad range but I think it's over prescribed in general. I don't use it much as I like to save it for when I need it.
Quote Reply
Re: antibiotics before IM [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started to take flucloxacillin the day when they cut the furuncle. One day after I had it cut I felt much better and had no pain from the furuncle but only frome the cut which is not an issue. I went to the clinic once to get it drained and will do few more visits over the next few days.
But I am still puzzled by a number of things. How do I know if the infection is spreading ?
Flucloxacillin is not effective against MRSA ? and I have not done any test to see if its MRSA or MSSA. So I am taking antibiotics which might not be effective ?
And finally how important it is to finish antibiotic cycle in my case its 10 days? after some googling and reading about it there seems to be little evidence about effectivness and nessecity to do so, and some recent evidence suggest that the opposite (shorter cycles when you feel better) might be better.
Quote Reply