Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike - Casual
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy that wants to do a few triathlons with me, including a 70.3. But I am fairly certain he wants to keep it casual. That being the case I want to tell him to just get a cheap roadie and I will give him a set of clip on aerobars. Is this the right way to go or do you have a better idea?

Tell him to go Claris...Sora? Or, should he go for the Aloha from Fuji.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 11, 17 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike - Casual [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with getting a road bike. Is he going to buy new? He'll get a lot more bike for the money by going used. My wife's bike has Tiagra and it works just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike - Casual [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will probably just go whatever direction that I tell him to go. They have baby #2 on the way (I have two kids and I get the budget constraints). I was thinking going used would be ideal and I could do his bike fit and help him do the work on it should it be required.

I have sora on my road bike and a Giant Trinity Advanced Pro trip bike with Ultegra. The difference is very noticeable between Sora and Ultegra...but, I see that Shimano is now offering the 105 crank on their Sora for the current model year. Not bad!

I will probably suggest the road bike and look for something used that he can snag for around $600 or less and give him the aerobars and help him with the work.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike - Casual [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my area, it would be hard to find a tri-bike in that price range, even if he bumped his budget up to $750. But good used road bikes can be found easily at that price. Plus, the fit will be a lot easier on the road bike and he'll probably be more comfortable. I think you're on the right path.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike - Casual [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the mental reenforcement!
Quote Reply