Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question about compact cranks and cross chaining
Quote | Reply
I'm currently putting a 50/34 crank set on my road bike with a 11/32 in the back. I want to use this gearing to go up Pikes Peak. I've been warned if I use the big ring and 32 gear in the back, I'll ruin my wheel/deraileur. I don't plan on doing this but there's always a slim chance I'll forget. Is there anyway I can help prevent this from happening? Would a wolftooth road link help prevent this?

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

Once I ride Pikes Peak, is there a cassette I can use that limits this possibility of damage? Should I go down to a 28 as the biggest gear in the cassette?
Quote Reply
Re: question about compact cranks and cross chaining [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
I'm currently putting a 50/34 crank set on my road bike with a 11/32 in the back. I want to use this gearing to go up Pikes Peak. I've been warned if I use the big ring and 32 gear in the back, I'll ruin my wheel/deraileur. I don't plan on doing this but there's always a slim chance I'll forget. Is there anyway I can help prevent this from happening? Would a wolftooth road link help prevent this?

Once I ride Pikes Peak, is there a cassette I can use that limits this possibility of damage? Should I go down to a 28 as the biggest gear in the cassette?

I have been using a 50/34 11/32 on my bikes for years. Yep, I have cross chained them and have never had an issue.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: question about compact cranks and cross chaining [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
damn lucky wrote:

I have been using a 50/34 11/32 on my bikes for years. Yep, I have cross chained them and have never had an issue.

He probably has a different derailleur than you.

Derailleurs have a specific chain wrap capacity. Depending on what yours is, it may not be able to handle a 34-11 to 50-32 change ing chain length.
Quote Reply
Re: question about compact cranks and cross chaining [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's the case. It's a dura ace 9000 11 speed.

Is there a different derailer I should consider?
Last edited by: damn lucky: Aug 11, 17 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: question about compact cranks and cross chaining [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my last bike I had a compact crank with an 11-32 in the back - and cross chaining wasn't an issue - but - I was using an ultegra long-cage derailleur.

As long as your derailleur is spec'd to accommodate the cassette you're running, I wouldn't expect there to be a problem from coupling it with a compact crank.

I'm not a bike mechanic; that's just an n=1 for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
I think that's the case. It's a dura ace 9000 11 speed.

Is there a different derailer I should consider?

bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/en/home/road/shifting---braking/rear-deraileurs/rd-9000.html

Chain wrap 33t, max cog size of 28. So you're pushing it on both. Might consider an ultegra gs rd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
damn lucky wrote:

He probably has a different derailleur than you.

Derailleurs have a specific chain wrap capacity. Depending on what yours is, it may not be able to handle a 34-11 to 50-32 change ing chain length.
That's the issue. Can the RD wrap enough chain so the chain is set properly across the entire gearing range. It takes a longer chain to accommodate a 32 sprocket (2 more links than the 28) which leaves you with an uncomfortable situation of choosing between keeping the existing chain length which would be too short for 50/32, or adding 2 more links to accommodate 50/32 but then the RD can't keep that chain under tension in 34/11. Solution is a long cage RD. Or like you said to remember not to crosschain, but that is really not a long term workable solution. Bet you'd forget on the very first ride pushing 300W up a hill 50 miles in. I know I probably would forget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think I'll get one to be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Thanks, I think I'll get one to be safe.

Mine was like only 75 bucks so yep, one should have the correct parts to support the setup, even if a non speced setup "works"

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: question about compact cranks and cross chaining [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or grab the new durace rear as it will handle it.
Quote Reply