Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
North Korea is simply not a threat to the United States, anymore that Iraq was a threat to the United States.

No, I'm sorry. An ICBM is different than a SCUD missile. North Korea is a threat. You might be inclined to accept the risk. But you can't say it's "simply not a threat." Because it's a threat.

Plus now that President Vitus has allowed violation of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty with no penalty whatsoever, what are you going to do about Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, et al once they see that it's OK again?

Again, long game. Geo-politics is complicated. Don't pretend it's simple and obvious with simple "knife-waving outside your car" analogies to represent an inter-continental ballistic missile.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No, I'm sorry. An ICBM is different than a SCUD missile. North Korea is a threat.

Just because they have a nuclear ICBM does not make them a threat. Do you think they're actually going to launch one at us? Seriously?

Plus now that President Vitus has allowed violation of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty with no penalty whatsoever

North Korea is not currently party to the NPT, though. And even so, their refusal to adhere to it has not come with "no penalty whatsoever." There are endless sanctions in place already, and the country is an international pariah. I thought you said you are against isolating them. What penalty or alternative are you proposing here? What else can we do?

How is President Trail going to defuse the threat he perceives from North Korea?

what are you going to do about Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, et al once they see that it's OK again?

We have pretty decent cards to play with most of those countries. We don't with North Korea.

But hey, what's your plan? I assume you're not going to war over this.

Geo-politics is complicated. Don't pretend it's simple and obvious with simple "knife-waving outside your car" analogies to represent an inter-continental ballistic missile.

When you have no real options, it's actually pretty simple. And the analogy was pretty sound. You can't claim they're a threat to the US based on the fact that we stationed a bunch of troops on their front door. Further, just because a country potentially has the ability to inflict some kind of harm on us does not make them a threat, either.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

You still need to build and test it to make sure it's not pinball parts.

Sure. But let's say Iran - which is clearly motivated to have its own dedicated nuclear weapon capability - is now 8 years away (making that up, don't know the real number). NK sends them everything they've learned, maybe it becomes 2 years. Allows Iran to pass the inspections on the current sanctions while still making progress, using North Korean facilities for R&D.

That's no good.

In 2015 the article below was written and I believe that it's still true or will happen sooner:

"Put simply, under this deal, Iran will have nuclear weapons in little over a decade, and our children will live their lives under an Iranian nuclear Sword of Damocles. This is the hard fact for which the White House has no answer."

http://observer.com/...ittle-over-a-decade/

And we have the UN and the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT). How's that working out for us? What we need from it yesterday is a unilateral declaration that any country using nuclear weapons will be destroyed completely and utterly by those signing the declaration. I don't have much faith in the UN to do much to halt conflict, nor would a resolution like I suggested carry any weight, but would like to see who would go on record, and who wouldn't, for this proposal. For many people the idea that someone is going to use nuclear weapons offensively is a given. I'd like to do whatever is possible to prevent that from ever happening.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we need from it yesterday is a unilateral declaration that any country using nuclear weapons will be destroyed completely and utterly by those signing the declaration.

I'd argue that with respect to North Korea, that is a fact well understood by everyone, including the North Koreans. And that's all the assurance we're ever going to be able to get, ultimately.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I'm with The Donald on this. You ignore a threat too long and eventually it's going to bite you in the ass:

"Trump also blamed his predecessors for discord in the Korean peninsula, saying that the current rhetoric is an extension of past failures and he has no choice but to respond to the rogue nation.
"We want to talk about a country that has misbehaved for many, many years, decades actually, through numerous administrations and they didn't want to take on the issue," he said. "I have no choice to take it on -- and I am taking it on -- and we will either be very, very successfully quickly or we are going to be very, very successful in a different way, quickly."

http://www.cnn.com/...rt-threat/index.html

And while I'm here I want to thank Barry for giving Iran a nuclear capability they should never have. If I was Israel I would release hell on Iran while I still could and deal with the consequences later. Because we all know that Iran is going to nuke Israel just as soon as they can, right? Allah Akbar.

You guys do understand, that using nuclear weapons to ANY extend on this planet, means the end of civilization as we know it, right?

And yes, Hiroshima was only at the beginning of nuclear weapons design....
You guys are insane to even think about that being a viable possibility.

If you have a death wish, just use your own gun!

Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 11, 17 22:17
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Seems to me that most of the world acknowledges that foreign policy and diplomacy typically involves both stick and carrot. It's an unfortunate by product of our superpower status, in my mind, that so many Americans seem to think it's perfectly fine, and that we have every right to expect success, by just using stick all the time. Then they don't understand why many parts of the world view as us bullies instead of virtuous bringers of freedom.

Are you asserting that many parts of the world view us as bullies because "so many Americans seem to think it's perfectly fine" to use a stick-only approach? Or are you asserting that many parts of the world view us as bullies because we use too much stick and don't give enough carrot?

In either case, what are these parts of the world?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
Seems to me that most of the world acknowledges that foreign policy and diplomacy typically involves both stick and carrot. It's an unfortunate by product of our superpower status, in my mind, that so many Americans seem to think it's perfectly fine, and that we have every right to expect success, by just using stick all the time. Then they don't understand why many parts of the world view as us bullies instead of virtuous bringers of freedom.

Are you asserting that many parts of the world view us as bullies because "so many Americans seem to think it's perfectly fine" to use a stick-only approach? Or are you asserting that many parts of the world view us as bullies because we use too much stick and don't give enough carrot?

In either case, what are these parts of the world?

I'm asserting that many people in many countries view the U.S. as a bully on the international stage, because they view our foreign policy as being based on our desire to force our beliefs and our interests on the rest of the world, frequently with little regard for the interests of other countries, and they see us as being willing to pursue those policies with either military or economic stick (because we are strong enough to do so), with carrot only as an afterthought.

As for which countries, just Google America and Bully, and see how many articles, polls, and other websites come up. It can't possibly be a surprise to you that many view us this way.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm asserting that many people in many countries view the U.S. as a bully on the international stage, because they view our foreign policy as being based on our desire to force our beliefs and our interests on the rest of the world, frequently with little regard for the interests of other countries, and they see us as being willing to pursue those policies with either military or economic stick (because we are strong enough to do so), with carrot only as an afterthought.

Do you have any evidence for this claim or is that anecdotal? I have looked at some polls and to me it appears that US is viewed favorably or unfavorably depending geo-political allignment. We are viewed favorably in France and un-favorably in Egypt yet I'm sure we give more money to Egypt.

Quote:
As for which countries, just Google America and Bully, and see how many articles, polls, and other websites come up. It can't possibly be a surprise to you that many view us this way.

And I'll be on my way to becoming a foreign policy PhD.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Aug 12, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
I'm with The Donald on this. You ignore a threat too long and eventually it's going to bite you in the ass:

"Trump also blamed his predecessors for discord in the Korean peninsula, saying that the current rhetoric is an extension of past failures and he has no choice but to respond to the rogue nation.
"We want to talk about a country that has misbehaved for many, many years, decades actually, through numerous administrations and they didn't want to take on the issue," he said. "I have no choice to take it on -- and I am taking it on -- and we will either be very, very successfully quickly or we are going to be very, very successful in a different way, quickly."

http://www.cnn.com/...rt-threat/index.html

And while I'm here I want to thank Barry for giving Iran a nuclear capability they should never have. If I was Israel I would release hell on Iran while I still could and deal with the consequences later. Because we all know that Iran is going to nuke Israel just as soon as they can, right? Allah Akbar.

You guys do understand, that using nuclear weapons to ANY extend on this planet, means the end of civilization as we know it, right?

And yes, Hiroshima was only at the beginning of nuclear weapons design....
You guys are insane to even think about that being a viable possibility.

If you have a death wish, just use your own gun!

I understand that letting NK use nuclear weapons is not an option. If conventional weaponry can stop Kim I am all for it. However, I am not willing to let him develop longer range missiles and then see the west coast become a nuclear wasteland. I'm less than 100 miles from the Frisco. If Frisco goes the radiation could kill me and my family and on any given day we may be standing at ground zero. Anyone heard of nuke insurance?

"The latest North Korean nuclear test is estimated to have the explosive power of 20-30 kilotons — equivalent to 20,000 to 30,000 tons of TNT going off at once. That’s more than the 15- and 20-kiloton strength of the bombs the United States dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

"First, there would be an explosion — a fireball roughly a third of a mile wide with temperatures equal to the surface of the sun. A blast wave would knock down most buildings within a half-mile of the explosion. A flash of thermal energy would burn exposed people within a mile of the detonation and temporarily blind those looking toward it. Up to several miles away from the detonation, there would be less severe damage, like shattered windows.

Then, there would be deadly radiation. Debris from the explosion would be sucked upwards into a giant mushroom cloud and then carried downwind. This would be the threat that concerns most of us: Falling particles the size of grains of sands sprinkling down across the Bay Area would emit gamma rays that could give people severe radiation poisoning.

The most dangerous zone would be 10 to 20 miles downwind of the explosion, while some fallout could occur 100 miles away or farther, depending on the magnitude of the explosion. (Communities upwind and far enough away from the explosion would escape relatively unharmed.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I understand that letting NK use nuclear weapons is not an option. If conventional weaponry can stop Kim I am all for it. However, I am not willing to let him develop longer range missiles and then see the west coast become a nuclear wasteland. I'm less than 100 miles from the Frisco. If Frisco goes the radiation could kill me and my family and on any given day we may be standing at ground zero. Anyone heard of nuke insurance?

"The latest North Korean nuclear test is estimated to have the explosive power of 20-30 kilotons — equivalent to 20,000 to 30,000 tons of TNT going off at once. That’s more than the 15- and 20-kiloton strength of the bombs the United States dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

"First, there would be an explosion — a fireball roughly a third of a mile wide with temperatures equal to the surface of the sun. A blast wave would knock down most buildings within a half-mile of the explosion. A flash of thermal energy would burn exposed people within a mile of the detonation and temporarily blind those looking toward it. Up to several miles away from the detonation, there would be less severe damage, like shattered windows.

Then, there would be deadly radiation. Debris from the explosion would be sucked upwards into a giant mushroom cloud and then carried downwind. This would be the threat that concerns most of us: Falling particles the size of grains of sands sprinkling down across the Bay Area would emit gamma rays that could give people severe radiation poisoning.

The most dangerous zone would be 10 to 20 miles downwind of the explosion, while some fallout could occur 100 miles away or farther, depending on the magnitude of the explosion. (Communities upwind and far enough away from the explosion would escape relatively unharmed.)
Whoa, take a deep breath.

The USSR/Russia and Red Chinese have had thousands of nuclear warheads, some of them in the megaton range, aimed at the US for the past 50+ years. But they haven't used them. Why do you think N Korea would attack the US with a single (or even a dozen) nuclear warheads?

You might want to go with the "N Korea is bent on attacking the US with nuclear weapons even if this means national suicide for them!" argument. However, as bad as a nuclear attack by N Korea would be, they are not going to be turning the west coast into a nuclear wasteland. The Hiroshima bomb (15 kilotons) and Nagasaki bomb (21 kilotons) didn't turn southern Japan into a nuclear wasteland. The 100 above ground nuclear weapons tests (including a device with a 74 kiloton yield) that the US conducted 65 miles NW of Las Vegas, Nevada, didn't turn Las Vegas into a nuclear wasteland.

Relax, go ahead and get on with your life.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Whoa, take a deep breath.

The USSR/Russia and Red Chinese have had thousands of nuclear warheads, some of them in the megaton range, aimed at the US for the past 50+ years. But they haven't used them. Why do you think N Korea would attack the US with a single (or even a dozen) nuclear warheads?

You might want to go with the "N Korea is bent on attacking the US with nuclear weapons even if this means national suicide for them!" argument. However, as bad as a nuclear attack by N Korea would be, they are not going to be turning the west coast into a nuclear wasteland. The Hiroshima bomb (15 kilotons) and Nagasaki bomb (21 kilotons) didn't turn southern Japan into a nuclear wasteland. The 100 above ground nuclear weapons tests (including a device with a 74 kiloton yield) that the US conducted 65 miles NW of Las Vegas, Nevada, didn't turn Las Vegas into a nuclear wasteland.

Relax, go ahead and get on with your life.

You could be correct but I have never thought that any of the Russian leaders were insane and I have been watching them since the '60s. That's the difference here. Kim is nuts. He could be psychotic for all I know. I also keep wondering if China is going to step aside, get involved, or if this is really about their claims to some islands they want, including Taiwan. I haven't forgotten about the long game which for China could be decades from now. But I do believe that eventually they will take what they claim is theirs. Unlike a lot of people I still believe that China is our enemy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of with you on him being looney tunes and his brain is just wired differently than ours(at least most of us) And I would not be surprised at all that he may even have in place a dead mans switch. Take him out and some trusted general throws the switch and sets off the nukes. Egos like his want to go down "Bigley" in history, so what better way than to blow up the world. He would be dead so nothing personal left to lose, as in these guys minds the rest of their people are all just pawns in their life story.

He is not like any of the Russian leaders before him, but there are many different leaders now in the same category as him. Our best defense is going to get them into the world culture as quickly and seamlessly as possible. I think this will be Iran's undoing in the long run, 10 or 15 years from now when they have their nukes most of the people will be part of the world community and economies, and they will just be another nuclear power among all the others in the world..
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - Our Past "Leadership" on NK is what go us here. [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
You might want to go with the "N Korea is bent on attacking the US with nuclear weapons even if this means national suicide for them!" argument.

No, the three arguments are these.

1) North Korean government would use the weapon as a last resort if it's own existence were in doubt. If the U.S. starts attacking North Korea (conventionally) , there's very little North Korea can do. It would have a matter of hours of existence. One of the things it could do is launch medium range nukes at Guam, South Korea, and Japan. Maybe some get by THAAD/AEGIS. And Hail Mary an ICBM at California.

2) The North Korean government appears less than stable. If you go over this list of political executions, it tells the story that either 1) there have been coup-like forces that have been cropping even at the highest levels of the military and government, or 2) there aren't coup-like forces and Kim Jong-un is paranoid. Neither is good when you have nuclear weapon capability. Russian and China haven't had nearly this level of drama since they've had nuclear weapons.

3) The U.S. has geopolitical consistency to consider. The doctrine of nuclear non-proliferation has been in place since around 1970. That treaty has motivated many countries to voluntarily give up production or ownership - South Africa and the former Soviet states of Ukraine, Kazakhstan, and Belarus. The vast majority of countries don't try to make them. Our President Vitus with this "ignore them" doctrine just signaled defacto exit from nuclear non-proliferation. He won't do a thing if you make a nuclear weapon. Or even if you start threatening people with them. Game on. Don't you think Ukraine would love a "defensive" nuke? And Iran can go full steam ahead. If Iran goes full steam ahead, Saudi Arabia will want to as well. The more of these things there are in unstable parts of the world, the more likely they get used. The world, say, 20 years from now, could get rather scary.
Quote Reply

Prev Next