Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long is acceptable before a company provides a warranty replacement?
Quote | Reply
So, following on from the 3T thread....

I purchased a power meter (one of the big names) from an authorised retailer a couple of years ago. 4 months ago the power meter started behaving strangely. I contacted the retailer who advised me to contact the importer. The importer was slow to respond to my emails, but over a matter of two months, during which time I sent them a number of power files and numerous photos (as requested by them) they agreed that it was a warranty replacement and that I would be sent a replacement within a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks went by and no power meter. I contacted them and was (eventually - they never respond to my first email, it usually takes two emails and a week to get a reply) told that there was a hold up with getting the required power meter but they were on to it. I left it for a month before contacting again to be told there was still a hold up. I have left it another month and have emailed them twice this week, politely, asking if they have any idea when I can expect my replacement. In short, it's over 4 months since the power meter stopped working and over two months since they agreed it would be a warranty, but I still have no power meter. How long is reasonable to wait before I start sending grumpy emails or naming and shaming on social media?
Quote Reply
Re: How long is acceptable before a company provides a warranty replacement? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the dealer and ask for a refund.
Quote Reply
Re: How long is acceptable before a company provides a warranty replacement? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Go to the dealer and ask for a refund.
+1. The retailer/dealer should have been assisting you through this process. Sounds like they blew you off and "passed the buck"....bad form on their part.
Quote Reply
Re: How long is acceptable before a company provides a warranty replacement? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming this isn't a quarq because you would have had a replacement within a week.

Sounds like crap customer service.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Importer? Why not call the company direct? That's the problem, dealing with an Importer, talk to the company, tell them how you are getting the run around from the retailer and the Importer, you'll be surprised how they respond. No way would I be that patient. And call them out.
Last edited by: mike s: Aug 11, 17 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: How long is acceptable before a company provides a warranty replacement? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Importer? Hey not call the company direct? That's the problem, dealing with an Importer, talk to the company, tell them how you are getting the run around from the retailer and the Importer, you'll be surprised how they respond. No way would I be that patient. And call them out.

Yes.

Sometimes - brands and parent companies get it wrong regarding their Importer/Distributors in a country. Often these are small companies and the vetting process is perhaps less than thorough, and/or they are just happy to get a foot-hold in a new territory for them. They also may have been pitched a BIG story by the Importer/Distributor, that turned out to be exactly that - a BIG story.

Let me be clear, there are some exceptionally good Importer/Distributors out there - but in my time in the business, I've come across more than a few, who have not been very good at all.

If I was the OP, I would be contacting the parent company/brand, where ever they are and letting them know what's going on. Now, sometimes this may resolve the situation and the parent company/brand will jump right in and help out. However, this will be about the relationship that the parent company has with the Importer/Distributor - perhaps the total responsibility for warranties, will rest with the Importer/Distributor - perhaps the other way around. Each one may be a bit different. That being said, it's never a bad idea, to reach out to the parent company/brand.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply