Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

went from stages to power2max, observations
Quote | Reply
This is just an informative post and not meant to blast stages or single power meters and users.

First off, I had a stages gen 1 power meter on a sram rival crank and it was paired to a garmin 800 head.. I rode this set up for a few years. I've never had issues with the battery door or drops as some users have reported. I would power test every so often, ride % to that on the road, user trainer road in the winter, and do the 0 offset here an there. I would still be riding this but there was a failure on the SRAM crankset and I elected to make a move based on that failure.

Enter a power 2 max built on a fsa crankset.

Here are observations from my limited time. One power to max on short fast rides show I use 55 left and 45 right on average. For longer and less intense rides, 52 left, 48 right. On the shorter fast rides my over all average power is down about 15% for the same ride at the same speed. I do notice that I am working harder to keep the same target from my FTP test on the stages. Again, speed remains the same on the same bike. I will obviously retest on the power to max. I am guessing based on the rides and numbers that I have seen that my FTP will be a number about 25 watts lower than the stages.

On the longer rides however I notice that my over all average power is only down about 5% for the same ride at about the same speed/watts.

I also noticed in my power files that the stages would show much larger spikes when taking off from a start, vs the power 2 max. I imagine from a stop I favor my left leg for the initial push. The same seems to apply to short/fast efforts and hard accelerations.

The power to max seems to be more reactive at the same smoothing to changes in my effort. I'm not sure if thats a sampling rate delta or just something in my head.

So what does this all mean? I paced and made progress on the stages just fine. But I think it does highlight that at least for me the L/R balance is not always a consistent variable. How this changes my over all training progress, I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: went from stages to power2max, observations [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would have been interesting to know what your L/R power balance was before you used the Stages ;-)

edit: Our bodies seem to be really good at "figuring out" how to make that number larger in the most efficient manner possible :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 10, 17 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kblahetka wrote:
This is just an informative post and not meant to blast stages or single power meters and users.

First off, I had a stages gen 1 power meter on a sram rival crank and it was paired to a garmin 800 head.. I rode this set up for a few years. I've never had issues with the battery door or drops as some users have reported. I would power test every so often, ride % to that on the road, user trainer road in the winter, and do the 0 offset here an there. I would still be riding this but there was a failure on the SRAM crankset and I elected to make a move based on that failure.

Enter a power 2 max built on a fsa crankset.

Here are observations from my limited time. One power to max on short fast rides show I use 55 left and 45 right on average. For longer and less intense rides, 52 left, 48 right. On the shorter fast rides my over all average power is down about 15% for the same ride at the same speed. I do notice that I am working harder to keep the same target from my FTP test on the stages. Again, speed remains the same on the same bike. I will obviously retest on the power to max. I am guessing based on the rides and numbers that I have seen that my FTP will be a number about 25 watts lower than the stages.

On the longer rides however I notice that my over all average power is only down about 5% for the same ride at about the same speed/watts.

I also noticed in my power files that the stages would show much larger spikes when taking off from a start, vs the power 2 max. I imagine from a stop I favor my left leg for the initial push. The same seems to apply to short/fast efforts and hard accelerations.

The power to max seems to be more reactive at the same smoothing to changes in my effort. I'm not sure if thats a sampling rate delta or just something in my head.

So what does this all mean? I paced and made progress on the stages just fine. But I think it does highlight that at least for me the L/R balance is not always a consistent variable. How this changes my over all training progress, I don't know.

Also shows why accuracy matters.When a rider tries to take their single leg data and use it to compare against another power system or attempt to predict real work performance the stages falls over hard.

It has always been my opinion that Team Sky use dual side Stages because single side measurement has to many errors and unknowns.
Quote Reply
Re: went from stages to power2max, observations [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder that sometimes. And I have caught myself early on just stomping a big gear at a low cadence just to get that number up.
Quote Reply
Re: went from stages to power2max, observations [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would imagine its usable for the vast majority of folks. Every year at Kona there are plenty of riders on stages products. I do find it curious how it could be off, yet so consistently off given effort levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P2M does produce a l/r balance number but I am pretty sure that it "derived" - ie probably bogus.

Yes, Stages can produce a slightly understated or overstated number. Directionally it is consistent. For the iron distance races I use P1 pedals since they tend to be slightly more accurate. For my road bike, a Stages PM is just fine.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply