Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore
Quote | Reply
So I have been having the best buildup that I have ever had. Got my FTP to ~ 3.9 and am running consistently. Am racing Steelhead this weekend, Chicago Oly Tri (8/26) and culminating in IM Chat (9/24) and am hoping to qualify for nationals at Steelhead or Chicago. My achilles has been sending some subtle signals that not all is right in my world. It doesn't hurt to run on it but I feel a twinge. I had issues beginning of last year and it took 3-4 mos to recover as I developed Achilles tendonitis. Yesterday when I did my fartlek, my Achilles was talking louder to me but still without any pain, more an annoyance but it is worrying me so close to my races.

In regards to my training I have been biking 3x/week (Tue, Thurs, Sat) and running (approx 4-4h30m/week is typically as follows:

Mon: No run/bike
Tues: 10' brick at IM pace (8:24-8:30)
Wed: 50-60' Fartlek (35-45' mainset)
Thurs: 20' EZ run off bike (9:00 pace)
Fri: 30' @ 9:30-10:00 EZ pace depending on tiredness
Sat: 30' brick at 8:30 pace
Sun: I had built up to 2 hr long run and had recently begun increasing with 1h 30m in am and 40m in PM with goal of 2 hrs AM, 30-40m in PM

A little more about my training: I do a 2 week build, 1 week recovery (Just means my weekends are shorter duration consisting of 1:30 run, 2:30-3 hr bike)

I really, really want to do all 3 races so with that in mind, what should I do? Also keep in mind I have only 6 weeks until IM Chat so most of my training is complete. And given my racing schedule, I only had 3 long runs planned of which the duration would have been 1:40 AM run/ 40' PM run building up to 2 hr AM run/ 40' PM run

Some of the options that I could think of:
1. Cut back on run volume and just bike more. I could go to one long run (capping at 2-2:15 total or splitting into 1:15 in am and PM), 1 shorter threshold run (20-30' main set , 45' total), and 2 EZ paced Brick IM runs (20-30' duration) which gives me 3 days of non running and total running volume of 3-3.5 hours. this might have me coming in a little undertrained for the run though I am only 6 weeks out from the race.

2. Keep up volume for next two weeks and taper run 4 weeks out (with bike taper 2 weeks out)

3. Keep up volume/build as long as twinge in achilles doesn't flare worse.

Of course I would back down the volume if it got worse in any of the above situations.

thx for any suggestions
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would stop ruining all together, not going to get better while you run, not going to really gain much run fitness before Chicago, willing to bet you'll limp through Steelhead. Achilles tenderness sucks. Try a slight heal lift to ease the tension. Run Steelhead, rest, ice, massage the shit out of your calf and heel, reassess Chicago race week. That's what I would do.
Last edited by: mike s: Aug 10, 17 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, if it's tight without pain I can get that to go away in a couple of days while still running. I wear the Strassburg sock at night and decently cushioned shoes during the day. For me, the Strassburg is a lifesaver! You would be shocked at the amount of stress on your achilles if you are a stomach or back sleeper. It's a cheap option as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Focus on the bike and swim for a while. You don't want it to get worse. I tore mine and had to have two surgeries on it. Two years later I'm back to long course but I'm no where near where I used to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore [ptbashor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing the strausburg sock and the discomfort is a bit better. I'll race and see how it goes and won't start running back up until pain free.
I noticed that my left calf (affected side) is quite a bit tighter. Is that a reaction to the tendon inflammation or is the tightness pulling on my tendon. IOW would loosening the knot in my calf resolve my Achilles issues.
Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That ultimately worked for me, a tight calf was causing my Achilles pain. Massaging the calf and releasing the knots even if you are in tears might do the trick. Light stretching after you do it, nothing too inasane or it will just damage the tendon more. Try taking some Magnesium, that helps with muscle relaxation. You will be fine running your race, it's after, start light massaging it that night, get real compression socks from Walgreens, CVS or Rite Aid, they have 30-40mmgHg of compression unlike the $60 name brand ones that triathletes like to wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a similar issue. Although my race was much further out and was able to stop running while working on it. I went to a physical therapist for a little while. Instead of the sock, I've got a splint, but same concept. I've started running again over the last ~6 weeks with no more issues. The time off is probably what helped the most, but some other things I did/am doing that might help.

I stretch a lot more before any run. Typical calf stretches, but also bend the knee with the heel on the ground to really get that lower calf/Achilles stretch. Also use the tool below before and after every run. Also, days that I have time, 15 minutes spinning on the bike to warm up my legs tends to make the run feel a lot better on that leg.

https://www.amazon.com/...ords=calf+stretchers

I also foam roll and ice that calf after every run as well, just in case.

Other things are just range of motion exercises in the ankle. Might be more specific to me, but I had a lot of tightness in that particular leg. Range of motion was significantly less than the other ankle. Also, did a lot of calf raises focusing on the controlled slow decline as that's supposed to help tendons. As that range of motion came back, the Achilles seems less strained.

I also went back up from my 0 drop shoes to a 12mm drop for this race. Probably another huge help I'm sure.
Last edited by: KG6: Aug 11, 17 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd use a heating pad to get some blood flowing in that area and then do some rolling (lacrosse ball or foam roller) on the calf. Run only if you don't feel tightness/twinge. Be sure to warm that lower leg up before doing any running (again, heating pad...body squats).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three main things have helped me.

1. Eccentric heel dips. 3 x 15 (with a 30 lb weight in my backpack)
2. Rolling the shit out of my calves. There are a few good videos on foam rolling and myofascial release.
3. Contrast baths. 10 minutes in an ice water bucket/5 minutes in a hot water bucket/ 10 minutes back in the ice water bucket.

This combination has saved my season.

Good luck.

--
Scott.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Last edited by: rsmoylan: Aug 11, 17 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx for all the great advice. I've been rolling and kneading the crap out of my calf which is now sore as shit. However the knots seem to be less so I'm hopeful. Guess we'll see this Sunday
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise. . .Racing soon and achilles is a little sore [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Typical calf stretches, but also bend the knee with the heel on the ground to really get that lower calf/Achilles stretch. Also use the tool below before and after every run.

I also foam roll and ice that calf after every run as well, just in case.

THIS. Problem solved in 2 weeks for me.
Quote Reply