Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria
Quote | Reply
Which is the best in the variety of things to do/see between these places? From my understanding Mont Tremblant is a smaller version of Whistler?. We like animals, sites, and foods of course. Someone clarify the major differences between the 3 destinations?
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Victoria is one of the most visited cities in the world. It is about 350k people and seat of the provincial govt. There are lots of touristy things to do and a very lovely setting. The 70.3 is outside of the city by 20 minutes. There is an international airport near by or ferries from mainland. The race has gone back to having a lovely one loop swim, moderately challenging ride on good roads and two loop run in a fantastic 10km loop around a lake on trails.

Whistler. Tons to do with kids and adults and stunning scenery. Easy access from Seattle or Vancouver. If you like mountain biking, hiking, outdoor adventure etc then whistler has it all. We are leaving tomorrow to drive out there for our annual weeklong family vacation. The race is excellent with nice swim, ride and run routes. Challenging.

My tremblant. Whistler light but in eastern Canada. The Quebec thing adds intrigue. Relatively easy access by far from many places. I've never done the race but from what I understand it is well organized on a great course.

I am most familiar with Victoria and whistler as I live in the area.

Hope I offered some help.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does help. Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would factor Montreal into the Tremblant experience. Lots of stuff to see and do there as well , unique culture and amazing food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For accommodations, the Hotel Grand Pacific is listed on the race website, but the DoubleTree by Hilton also appears to be a decent option. Would you agree?
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
For accommodations, the Hotel Grand Pacific is listed on the race website, but the DoubleTree by Hilton also appears to be a decent option. Would you agree?

There are no hotels super close to the race venue. ( except Ho Jo which will likely be long sold out). Grand pacific is right down town and about 20 minutes with light traffic from the race. There are dozens of hotels down town and many many more in the Victoria area. None of them are inconvenient. I would pick a brand and price point you are comfortable with a go with it. I've never stayed at double tree. I'm sure it is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tremblant 70.3 sells out REALLY quickly. Like in 12hours, so you have to be quick if you want to race the half.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Tremblant 70.3 sells out REALLY quickly. Like in 12hours, so you have to be quick if you want to race the half.

Even faster than that - it sold out in about 15 minutes for 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
marcag wrote:

Even faster than that - it sold out in about 15 minutes for 2018.

There was AWA early access and I suspect they sold a crap ton of entries there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tremblant. Whistler light but in eastern Canada. The Quebec thing adds intrigue. Relatively easy access by far from many places. I've never done the race but from what I understand it is well organized on a great course.

Let me be very clear - Victoria & Whistler are both amazing race destinations. Lots' to see and do in addition to great race courses.

What may tip things in Mont Tremblant's favour is this race in terms of the actual race organization and what they do for the athletes in terms of race-day-experience, has few rivals in the whole world of triathlon! Seriously, they do things here that no other regular IM or IM 70.3 race does.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Let me be very clear - Victoria & Whistler are both amazing race destinations. Lots' to see and do in addition to great race courses.

What may tip things in Mont Tremblant's favour is this race in terms of the actual race organization and what they do for the athletes in terms of race-day-experience, has few rivals in the whole world of triathlon! Seriously, they do things here that no other regular IM or IM 70.3 race does.

x2. They have frick'n fighter jet fly over at the start man!
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Yep. The Friday night rock concert was awesome, as were the fireworks. They do a great job at Tremblant, would love to go back and do that race again.

Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Grand pacific is right down town and about 20 minutes with light traffic from the race. There are dozens of hotels down town and many many more in the Victoria area.

Thanks for the info. How much time should you budget for getting to transition on race morning from one of these hotels? A lot more than 20 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Canada - Whistler vs Mont Tremblant vs Victoria [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work in downtown Victoria and live just north of Hamsterly Beach (transition for Victoria 70.3).
There will be no traffic and it will take less than 20 mins on race morning to drive to transition. One thing to keep in mind though is that there is very limited parking near race start. I believe they have you park on the south side of Elk Lake and take a shuttle to the transition area

There is also the option of staying in Sidney - which is north of the lake and closer to the airport.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply