Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New to low tire pressure [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New to low tire pressure [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
There are about 20, all saying slightly/very different things.

If you go to bicyclerollingresistance.com rolling resistance reduces as pressure increases. But that's on a smooth steel drum (i think), so not realistic compared to road conditions.

Other charts show a U shaped curve where too low pressure and the resistance is high and too high pressure and the resistance is high. I haven't seen any agree on where the base of the U should be, though.
The graph is more of a hockey stick, rolling resistance gradually declines with higher pressure than shoots up at the break point on anything other than a smooth drum. According to silica on coarse asphalt the break point is right around 100 PSI. Ten PSI below the breakpoint uses one extra watt, ten PSI above the break point costs you 6-8 watts.

I am about 175 lbs and run about 95 PSI front and just under 100 rear, I figure if the silica chart is right I am good on most pavement.

I assume that tire pressure chart that was linked to is measured width? My 23C gp4000s measure 25 on my HED rims, I should actually measure them on my training wheels. I am still below what the chart recommends.

https://silca.cc/...stance-and-impedance
Quote Reply

Prev Next