Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But why should we go to war with North Korea? They can't threaten us. Unless we go to war with them on the peninsula.

Well for starters, because we're obligated by treaty to defend S.Korea.

Quote:
...you portrayed the regime as rational and interested in self preservation.

I think they are interested in self preservation and self interest, and from that perspective, they can be said to be a "rational actor." However, their idea of self interest, how they view and understand the world around them and their options, and what they might view as acceptable risk are very likely not in line with how we view the world, and so it's difficult to predict reliably what they might do. We should be careful not to mirror image, and assume that they view their interests the same way we might if we were in their shoes.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
You can say all these things can happen, and they can, but all kinds of things can happen. Where is the proof that it is going to happen?

Where is the proof that it's going to rain tomorrow? Weatherman said that it can happen, but all sorts of things can happen.

Don't waste my time. Nobody offered the opinion that any of this is certain, and nobody can "prove" that something will happen in the future.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Human actions are different then weather. You never know is a bad thing to build policy on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Fair enough. They are a threat to South Korea, who we're bound to by treaty. They are still not a threat to us. (And again, might be time to reconsider our global treaty obligations.)

I think they are interested in self preservation and self interest, and from that perspective, they can be said to be a "rational actor." However, their idea of self interest, how they view and understand the world around them and their options, and what they might view as acceptable risk are very likely not in line with how we view the world, and so it's difficult to predict reliably what they might do.

There's a difference between "they never do what we want," and "we can't figure out what they're going to do." In recent decades, their overall stance has been quite predictable. Even if not, it's certainly been geared towards self preservation and self interest, and attacking the US would be radically out of line with their past behavior.

They aren't a threat to us at all without nukes. They are only threat to us with nukes if we assume they're genuinely crazy. They don't appear to be crazy.

I hear you about the danger to South Korea and treaty obligations and all that. But I think people ought to speak a little more precisely when the topic is war, nuclear or otherwise. People insist that North Korea is a real threat to us because they're bad guys. They're bad guys, but they're not threat to us.

It's kind of funny how so many Americans see such dire threats from such insignificant countries.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Human actions are different then weather. You never know is a bad thing to build policy on.

Nobody said, "you never know." And human actions vs weather has nothing to do with "proof" that something will happen in the future. As usual, you're just typing whatever nonsense comes into your head.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's kind of funny how so many Americans see such dire threats from such insignificant countries.

It's kind of funny how some people think that if a country can't destroy us, they present no threat.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vise versa bubba. You have flat confused me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Vise versa bubba. You have flat confused me.

No. You just confuse yourself. If you took time to read, understand, and then form a response, instead of just spewing nonsense, you might be less confused.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
(And again, might be time to reconsider our global treaty obligations.)

Egads. South Korea and Japan provide such immense strategic and economic value to the United States I think it'd be insanity to back out of those alliances.

I mean if you wanted to hold up the freaking crown jewel of the theory of liberal Westernism, globalism and "free" trade and how it mutually benefits all parties it's freaking US<->Japan/Korea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Do you think they're going to attack Guam?
-
Read my post and you'll have your answer...then you can answer my question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been around a lot longer than I have but I have already figured out that Tibsy is off his meds.

Save yourself some frustration and let it all go. Move on.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Fair enough. They are a threat to South Korea, who we're bound to by treaty. They are still not a threat to us. (And again, might be time to reconsider our global treaty obligations.)

I think they are interested in self preservation and self interest, and from that perspective, they can be said to be a "rational actor." However, their idea of self interest, how they view and understand the world around them and their options, and what they might view as acceptable risk are very likely not in line with how we view the world, and so it's difficult to predict reliably what they might do.

There's a difference between "they never do what we want," and "we can't figure out what they're going to do." In recent decades, their overall stance has been quite predictable. Even if not, it's certainly been geared towards self preservation and self interest, and attacking the US would be radically out of line with their past behavior.

They aren't a threat to us at all without nukes. They are only threat to us with nukes if we assume they're genuinely crazy. They don't appear to be crazy.

I hear you about the danger to South Korea and treaty obligations and all that. But I think people ought to speak a little more precisely when the topic is war, nuclear or otherwise. People insist that North Korea is a real threat to us because they're bad guys. They're bad guys, but they're not threat to us.

Wouldn't them being a threat to Japan and South Korea be an indirect threat to us? I mean if North Korea blew up Souel even with convention artillery, I think it would be a major impact to the US economy and American interests in the region.
Quote Reply
Re: The disturbing truth about North Korea. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go fuck yourself bra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok bra.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next