Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waterproof socks, DryPro and/or Vasa
Quote | Reply
Hello ST'ers,

I have a foot issue that does not tolerate swimming (due to moisture) for healing; stubborn webspace wound. My planned A race this year is IMAZ and I just came off a good training block inclusive of swimming. I can continue to ramp running and biking, but M.D. urging strongly to cutback or preferably cutout swimming (He is also a triathlete so he gets it).

Sooo, been looking at waterproof socks and I have a DryPro cover that I can use in shower and theoretically could try to swim with it, no kicking.

https://www.amazon.com/DryPro-Waterproof-Half-Cover-Large/dp/B0007KOFV8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1502247166&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=waterproof%2Bcast%2Bcover&th=1

Another option is a Vasa, of which there are several on Craig's locally to be had. Could try to get a deal and resell over winter, but not sure what I stand to loose (swim fitness wise) going this route. I am a MOP swimmer but training helps to get out of water fresh versus faster. Also thinking Vasa during week and open water on weekend (wetsuit) with boot or sock. I routinely swim 2 miles OW on the weekend.

Anybody had any experience/advice with this kind of ordeal, bike is where it should be, run is coming (my background), but swimming is usually where I spend more time ramping up later as race gets closer?

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Waterproof socks, DryPro and/or Vasa [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he does not respond, you should email the STer lightheir. He is Mr. Vasa Trainer who credits the erg for getting him down from 1:45/100 yd to 1:25/100 yd. IIRC, he used the Vasa for 4-5 "swims" per week, then got in the water 1-2 days/wk during his big swim block.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Vasa ERG for purely strength work and do my endurance work in the pool. 10 min on Level 7 2-3x a week. I only hit the pool 2x a week for longer sets during the season. You could use the Vasa for an hour on an easier level and it would be similar to a pool workout. Just get some water time in pre-race. I don't swim during the winter and only use the Vasa. I'm a new swimmer and I've slowly improved over the past 3 years: 1:50/100m --> 1:40 --> 1:30. Having a strong pull really makes a difference along with body position.
Quote Reply
Re: Waterproof socks, DryPro and/or Vasa [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jdais,

What type of wk out are you doing on Level 7 (details please)! Especially as a "new" swimmer?

I have had my Vasa for 1 year, and Level 3-5 are pretty hard... I swim 70.3 swims around a 32'

Just interested to know
Quote Reply
Re: Waterproof socks, DryPro and/or Vasa [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do 10 min Level 7 butterfly at about 55-60 RPM. Short strength workout, but tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello ktm520,
Thanks for being interested in making a Vasa be part of your swim training solution as you recover from your foot injury. There are many stories from athletes and coaches who have successfully used either a Vasa Trainer or a Vasa SwimErg for just that reason, as well as for simply having an effective trainer to maintain consistent, quality swim training regardless of injury. The Vasa blog has some such customer stories, and if you prefer to discuss your needs by phone, just give us a call or send an email. By the way, we sometimes have refurbished machines available at 15% discount, so be sure to ask to be put on the wait list. Happy healing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ktm520!

I'm glad to read you are considering getting a Vasa. I think it is an excellent option considering you need to keep your foot dry while healing, but more than that, the Vasa will truly help you improve as a swimmer. Whether you get the Vasa trainer or the Vasa SwimErg (the one that reads your stroke power), you will develop swim specific strength. I train on the SwimErg a couple times a week and use it as a supplement to my open water and pool time. I've just PR'd this year on my swim. There are also numerous examples of people who train solely on the SwimErg or trainer for their Ironman and experiencing huge success. Check out this story about a guy who only trained on the Erg leading up to Ironman: https://vasatrainer.com/...ves-remote-coaching/
If cost is an issue, I've recently noticed that Vasa just released their Sport Bench, which is a lower cost swim bench option you could use with Crossover Symmetry cords or other stretch cords. https://vasatrainer.com/...ct/vasa-sport-bench/

Happy to help!
Quote Reply