Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Ironic that the solution is that we don't allow that talk

No one's preventing anyone from talking. He can say anything he wants. He just can't do it on internal Google discussion forums and expect continued employment.

Quote:
because it might hurt feelings.

Did you read the memo? To me it's all about him getting his feelings hurt because he's been criticized ("shamed" in his words) whenever he tries to discuss some of Google's diversity policies. The manifesto is largely an expression of hurt feelings.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 8, 17 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

Griffin's term as General Counsel expires in I believe September or October. That will make the biggest difference.

Nov 4.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the first 3 or 4 pages. It gets kind of tiresome after that. Yeah no one is preventing anyone from talking. You will just loose your job if you do it. I suppose that is Google's right but I don't think they can describe themselves as open if they do so. Message sent, don't talk about this sort of stuff.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Miscimerra's term expires in December, so Trump will have to nominate a replacement, as I don't believe he would want to continue.

You don't think so? He was just named Chair in May.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is he wants to return to the private sector. But that was from back in January, so his appointment to Chair may change things.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Read the first 3 or 4 pages. It gets kind of tiresome after that. Yeah no one is preventing anyone from talking. You will just loose your job if you do it. I suppose that is Google's right but I don't think they can describe themselves as open if they do so. Message sent, don't talk about this sort of stuff.

Read the whole thing. Lot of silly psycho-babble couched as "science," with some genuine scientific references to give it patina of rigor.

What's not clear to me is what specific harm he thinks has occurred to him in the past. It seems he's tried to bring up gender issues and feels he's been shut down and "shamed." But he doesn't give specific examples about what "shaming" is? Is that just no one agreeing with him? Or was formally punished in some way? Is he socially ostracized? Did someone pull pranks on him?
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe my mistake was reading first 3-4 pages of memo and the story about the CEO unhappy some female employees were talking about leaving unless something was done about it. I seems to me though that having a policy trying to increase diversity in some positions just for the sake of increasing diversity without taking into account other things isn't always wise.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally feel late women are genetically incapable of technical things. I mean my woman can barely use the dishwasher! Dumb broads.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Colin Kaepernick is finding out.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
A little bit of social awareness would tell you this is not a good debate for a male to enter into at work, no matter how they carefully craft their argument. I'm guessing that google hires a few men who are not terribly socially aware.

An interesting question is what evidence would be sufficient to persuade you that there is some inherent difference that explains the gender disparity in tech. Even more interesting is what data would be sufficient to persuade a woman who works in tech of the same thing.

Interesting question, what would it take to convince women there is a difference whether or not it an inherent difference or self made.

Working in IT. Even in an organization with almost equal men/women and over 1000 IT staff members, Women/men seem to be distributed amongst groups in a non random pattern. I will find some women in the tech groups like DBAs, Unix administrators, network administrators etc. So no question women can do these jobs, but what I have found is more women gravitate to management positions and developer/analyst positions than the tech groups. And that men are far more likely to have these tech jobs. Have women done this to themselves through self selecting career choices, or have they been pushed to certain areas? perhaps for there own "good". I.e. Organizations often have special tracks for women and minorities who they believe will rise high in the organization. They get pushed to positions that will set them up for other future promotions. Getting stuck in certain tech positions is unlikely to further their advancement.

So I think there are certainly differences in where men/women end up in IT, I'm not sure it inherent in the gender. it may be self imposed.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Do you agree with what he wrote?

Yes,

The press is spreading FAKE news about what his memo actually said.

Also agreeing that what he wrote is true are many smart women, even and particular those who work in Tech...at Google.

The (Neuro)Science he cites is solid.

Men and Women are NOT built equally.

Gender equality based on the level of biological equality is a Hoax.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    Pretty much. This article lays out lots of data points and references studies to back up plenty of his thoughts. I think the guy's major point though, is that after all of it, it comes down less to ability (despite differences) and more to interest.
_
http://slatestarcodex.com/...gerated-differences/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
He is an "at will" employee and the company believed his words hurt the company. He wasn't looking for a legal remedy for what he was saying, it was just an opinion. If he felt what was going on was illegal, he would have tried to correct the situation through the justice system. He didn't, he wrote an opinion piece. From what I've read, he didn't cite any statutes or legal precedent. Besides, they don't really need a reason to fire him other than to say he was no longer needed.

None of that is really relevant.

Can you please explain why these statements are not relevant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
len wrote:

Read the whole thing. Lot of silly psycho-babble couched as "science," with some genuine scientific references to give it patina of rigor.

What's not clear to me is what specific harm he thinks has occurred to him in the past. It seems he's tried to bring up gender issues and feels he's been shut down and "shamed." But he doesn't give specific examples about what "shaming" is? Is that just no one agreeing with him? Or was formally punished in some way? Is he socially ostracized? Did someone pull pranks on him?

Nicely said, I agree with you.

I feel he is trying to frame his opinion as fact and when actually it is only a bunch of whining and "crying" on his part. Sounds to me like he needs to grown up a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
He is an "at will" employee and the company believed his words hurt the company. He wasn't looking for a legal remedy for what he was saying, it was just an opinion. If he felt what was going on was illegal, he would have tried to correct the situation through the justice system. He didn't, he wrote an opinion piece. From what I've read, he didn't cite any statutes or legal precedent. Besides, they don't really need a reason to fire him other than to say he was no longer needed.

None of that is really relevant.

Can you please explain why these statements are not relevant?

It doesn't matter if his employment was "at will" if he was terminated for an unlawful reason. Here, he's alleging that the reason was unlawful -- that he was terminated for drafting the memo (and possibly for having filed a charge with the NLRB prior to his termination) and that the memo was concerted activity and protected by the NLRA.

Essentially, he's claiming (1) that the memo was written on behalf of himself and other employees to advance their terms and conditions of employment and (2) that it was not written in a way that would cause it to lose its protection under the NLRA.. I think he has a difficult case to make, especially since we're seeing a new Board and soon a new General Counsel that will likely not view these matters in the same way that they were treated under the Obama administration. But his presumptive at will status has no bearing on that analysis.

Similarly, for concerted conduct to be protected under the NLRA, the employee does not have to be seeking a legal remedy or alleging unlawful conduct. This is not like a whistleblower claim. Generally, he only has to be work with other employees or on their behalf to advance working conditions, so long as he doesn't go about it in a way that would cause it to lose its protected nature..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarity. Makes much more sense now.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did you read the memo? To me it's all about him getting his feelings hurt because he's been criticized ("shamed" in his words) whenever he tries to discuss some of Google's diversity policies. The manifesto is largely an expression of hurt feelings.

My first thought was he has too much time on his hands or is a bullshitter (or both). Second I thought he is a cry-me-a-biatch type. Likely a problem employee generally.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
He's going to sue the shit out of Google...

...and win big.

If it's a jury trial he may win but I think he would lose on appeal.

No jury and no appeals.

It's a labor issue and Google is going to pay.

Not. A. Chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:
Do you agree with what he wrote?

Yes,

The press is spreading FAKE news about what his memo actually said.

Also agreeing that what he wrote is true are many smart women, even and particular those who work in Tech...at Google.

The (Neuro)Science he cites is solid.

Men and Women are NOT built equally.

Gender equality based on the level of biological equality is a Hoax.

I agree 100%. The guy is getting crucified in the media and no one can be bothered to read 10 pages of what he wrote. What I read had citations and his position, that the lack of woman in tech could be due to gender preferences rather than discrimination, is universally accepted among psychologists and backed by many studies.

If Google wants openness like they claim they need to be mature enough to listen to respectful opinions that differ from than their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Freedom of speech does not mean you can speak without consequences [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tech giant is "Google-plexed" over the uproar attaching to what was a simple ideological purification ritual at the company. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next