Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017?
Quote | Reply
A dear (unique) friend is trying to talk me into signing up for Maryland. Does anyone have updated info on the course? He and I have a tradition of killing off IM races (St. George, CDA, Vineman). It seems we do a race and it ends up being the last year of it! The participant list shows about 1,000 registered. Any issues getting volunteer support on the course? I know the weather risk of the last two years. In some ST posts it seems that just happened to be bad luck on those Saturdays. Would love to get some opinions from anyone who has done the race, is planning to race, is local, or just has an opinion!
Last edited by: jbflyfisher: Aug 7, 17 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced IMMD last year and I am local. I think the last two years were particularly unlucky. The fall weather on the east coast can always be a bit of a gamble with hurricane season and nothing was going to save the race weekend two years ago in those conditions. But I've ridden the bike course plenty of times in September and October and it has been very nice - sometimes even hot. Last year, the weather the day after race day last year was beautiful. Last year's flooded run course was an unfortunate combination of rain, storm surge and high tide...and my only complaint would be their handling of that situation - rerouting the run one block south would have solved the problem...we were already biking short and had skipped the swim...so why not run 25.9 miles and keep your feet dry?

The event is well supported/staffed and the logistics are pretty easy except for the lack of hotels right there in Cambridge.

I am registered and racing again this year...and maybe get that swim in this time!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martyhogan wrote:
and my only complaint would be their handling of that situation - rerouting the run one block south would have solved the problem...we were already biking short and had skipped the swim...so why not run 25.9 miles and keep your feet dry?

But if they did that we wouldn't have had anything to laugh about afterwards. Seriously I thought that "swimming" during the run was the most memorable part of that day, and I think back and just laugh at the absurdity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbflyfisher wrote:
A dear (unique) friend is trying to talk me into signing up for Maryland. Does anyone have updated info on the course? He and I have a tradition of killing off IM races (St. George, CDA, Vineman). It seems we do a race and it ends up being the last year of it! The participant list shows about 1,000 registered. Any issues getting volunteer support on the course? I know the weather risk of the last two years. In some ST posts it seems that just happened to be bad luck on those Saturdays. Would love to get some opinions from anyone who has done the race, is planning to race, is local, or just has an opinion!
It will be interesting to see how this year goes. If the weather cooperates and people are setting PRs like they did in 2014 it could re-energize this race. In 2014 it was a late race announcement and they got around 1500 athletes, perfect weather conditions and it seemed like THE race to pick for a PR. That said, the stars need to align. When they do, it's very fast race; when they don't it's a mess.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
jbflyfisher wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this year goes. If the weather cooperates and people are setting PRs like they did in 2014 it could re-energize this race. In 2014 it was a late race announcement and they got around 1500 athletes, perfect weather conditions and it seemed like THE race to pick for a PR. That said, the stars need to align. When they do, it's very fast race; when they don't it's a mess.

2x - this course is FAST, expect when it's not. It was terrible last year. For me to do the race again, I'm going to wait until the day before to sign up and if there is any chance of inclement weather, I'll pass because this course cannot handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [martyhogan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you give an update on the water temperature? Is the race usually wet suit legal? Also, what are typical winds for the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [kylestone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOAA has a met buoy nearby:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=camm2

It hasn't topped 74 and it's highly unlikely to get any warmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Is the race usually wet suit legal?

Yes.

Also, what are typical winds for the bike?

Brutal

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there last year as a spectator... The energy was awesome.

I did a little trekking around, but I saw my girlfriend 4x on the bike, and probably 8x on the run. But i was a big fan of the race organization as a whole.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information...any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the swim normally choppy or is it somewhat protected - given normal weather conditions?

We have six of us coming from the Houston area..any suggestions on some local restaurants?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far, the weather's looking promising - low 55/high 75 with what should be a decent partial tidal push during the swim. With the latest of the hurricanes still lurking off in the Atlantic, I realize it's too soon to predict anything, but after the past two years, I mean...c'mon!

I'm sort of local - I rode a loop near the course (sorry, I can't do that course too many times - between Eagleman and practice rides, it's a little too much to ask) and got a nice reminder of the brutal winds. Not gusty and strong per se, just persistent and irritating, especially with the non-stop pedaling this essentially flat course requires. Sure, the flat run is fast, but it requires the discipline of not totally hammering the bike for 112 miles.

If you've not done the race, I have to say the commentary about the area being dull is rather unfair. I am not associated with the race in any way - I don't even live in the immediate area, but it's a great location. Cambridge may be a little sleepy, but the nearby towns of St Michaels and Easton are wonderful - there's a reason this area is a legit vacation destination for the DC, Philly, Delaware, and even NYC areas. There are some truly awesome restaurants, pubs, interesting history - the St Michael's Maritime Museum, the Harriet Tubman Museum in Cambridge and charming port towns to visit. There's great boating, fishing, stand up paddleboarding, and even some early season bird hunting in the area. Oxford, MD - also nearby, has the oldest operating ferry in the United States and was actually one of the very original homes of triathlon on the East Coast "back in the day." Not to cast any aspersions on other races, but having been heartily disappointed by IM 70.3 Austin's location -- very much not/not Austin at all -- I just want to see IMMD get a little love since it seems to get very little of it on ST.

If you're on the bubble and the weather forecast remains positive, give this race a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raced Eagleman in June and didn't find the winds too crazy. Doing the full there in 3 weeks and will probably eat what I just typed
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you asses tidal benefit on that course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kylestone wrote:
Thanks for the information...any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the swim normally choppy or is it somewhat protected - given normal weather conditions?

We have six of us coming from the Houston area..any suggestions on some local restaurants?

Think about the name of the river. Choptank. However, it is named after an local Algonquian-speaking tribe.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
facebook group has a ton of first timers going on about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about the area.

Cambridge, Easton, and St. Michaels are all awesome areas. Was up there for Eagleman this past June, and will be going back for IMMD. The local shops and restaurants are awesome (for the most part), and the people are extremely kind.

If you are wanting a place to go clubbing/rage after your race, and get a horrendously done M-dot tattoo, IMFL is your place to go.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [onemuddyshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you might have jinxed us (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/...ge.php?station=camm2)

What have you done?!?!? haha
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)

Dangit, I blame the cyclones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For local restaurants, there's a pretty good assortment in the general area...they get better if you go up the road a bit to Easton, MD.

In Cambridge, everyone will be jammed into Jimmy and Sooks and EVO Brewery for pub food and good beers on Poplar St. Also on Poplar there's Bistro Poplar - a nice upscale restaurant. You might want to wear something slightly/slightly nice if you go there. Just out of town there's the Cambridge Diner - a classic old school American diner with massive portions. Our tri club usually crushes pancakes there after long rides on the bike course. The prices are very reasonable. The local airport has an excellent attached restaurant whose name escapes me - massive breakfasts and lunches and good prices. The Ocean Odyssey restaurant on 50 is supposed to be good, although I haven't been there.

Further up 50 in Easton and St Michaels you have a bigger better selection of restuarants ranging from truly outstanding Mexican at El Dorado (two locations), BBQ - Hot off the Coals on 50, bar food on the water - Foxy's; to super upscale - The Inn At Perry Cabin, which will set you back a fair amount. There are plenty of good Italian places for your pasta fix and of course, you really should try to get some crabs while you're in the area - the Crab Claw in St Michaels is pretty awesome or on the way out of town, across the Bay Bridge in Annapolis (actually out of Annapolis) is Cantlers Crab House, an iconic place that's been around forever.

Great local brews to be had - EVO brewery has an amazing IPA usually on draft at their pub in Cambridge. St Michaels has Eastern Shore Brewing right on the main drag that offers flights of beer for tasting. The St Michael's distillery is next door and has some incredible rums, whiskeys, and curacaos.

Lastly, one of the best post race rewards you can give yourself is a scoop or three of Highland Creamery Ice Cream - look it up, it was rated top 5 in America. Italian style gelato served waterside at a great little shop in Oxford, MD, one of the original homes of triathlon on the East Coast "back in the day." My reward for suffering in the Eagleman heat each early summer is a cone from Highland - I suspect I may treat myself to one on Sunday after IMMD!

Good luck everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like we are back down to 70 degrees!! Keep fingers crossed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weather looks great. sunshine and 71 degree water temp
Quote Reply
Re: Any Updates for Ironman Maryland 2017? [xcchampion11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's supposed to be hot and humid. I wouldn't say great weather.
Quote Reply