Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman
Quote | Reply
I assume he's traveling, but I hope to hear on the forum here a bit from him about his Norseman experience. I have no specific questions, but I found his interview afterward the showing of a man who was gracious in defeat yet determined to return and conquer the course, and his podium finish while beating the previous course record is certainly nothing to sneeze about.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. Hell of a debut.
Interested to hear his take on it. I think he mentioned a lot of specific prep ... hopefully he can us give an insight. I was on sherpa duties this year - it's an utterly ridiculous course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar--

Will we be seeing a race report?
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm making an assumption (maybe I'm wrong) but it's really a question...

Rappstar, I assume you were trying to win and retire on a high note. What now?
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I'm making an assumption (maybe I'm wrong) but it's really a question...

Rappstar, I assume you were trying to win and retire on a high note. What now?

I'd also like to see A short report of sorts, having already read nr 1/2's reportasje in Norwegian. From what I can tell Rapp put in a really good performance, and I think this deserves credit! (I'd be willing to call his 3rd place a high note!). Do not underestimate the performances of nr 1/2. I think - especially with nr 1 Vold - you will see some strong results in more contested pro races in the future!

Also, local knowledge and having done the race multiple times before accounts for alot. I also bet rapp is kinda annoyed by having to race the first 90k in a reflective-vest about as aero as a sail. I'm no Expert but this cost him a couple of minutes...!
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Can you provide a link to the NR 1/2 race reports you reference above?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 17, 17 15:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Vold's performance was fantastic, particularly his bike given it's not massively technical - descents are high speed granted.
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hello,

Scott

Nr 1: http://natgeobloggen.no/...perekord-i-norseman/

Nr 2: https://triallan.com/...eport-norseman-2017/

google translate will probably help you understand most of this :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [philc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philc wrote:
Agreed. Vold's performance was fantastic, particularly his bike given it's not massively technical - descents are high speed granted.

Yeah agree - the bike (really of both nr 1 and 2 - going 5:05 - 5:10 respecively) were impressive.

Downhills are REALLY high speed yea - mostly straight down with no hairpins (only like 2 sharp hairpins downhill on the entire course). But still - you have to push pretty decent watts to go 5:05 on that course with all the climbs - Mind you the first 35 climb from 0m aslt to above 1200 asl! That slows your average quite alot :)

I also find the running impressive - and Rapp did a really good run finishing in 3:48. It should be noted though that this years no2 finisher had a run of 3:43 a previous year, so the top norsemen finishers are definatley in decent shape!:=)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://rappstar.com/...08/18/norseman-2017/

I know that I’ve never been more prepared for a race than I was for Norseman, and in terms of specific preparation, it might be the finest and most focused build I’ve had in my career. Except for when I lived in Penticton and spent most of my time training on the course where I was going to race, I don’t think I’ve ever tailored my training so precisely to the demands of a particular race.

This preparation showed up on race day with what I would say is one of the very best race performances in my career. I drained the tank to absolutely empty on that course. But that also comes with an emotional cost as well. Big races are followed inevitably by big letdowns. The post-race blues have hit quite hard, which is why I hadn't put proverbial pen to paper sooner.

Anyway, thoughts on the blog at link above...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was glad when Jordan asked me to be part of his support team.
I got my brother, Ole Gorm involved, and the three of us spent the week before the race at my brother's cabin preparing for the race.

During the race it was Jon and I until we picked up Michael at T2.
Ole Gorm ran with Jordan from 25k to 37k, zombie hill. Michael ran from 37 - 42.

Nailing Norseman as a support team the first time is not easy. We did a lot of good things, but could also be a lot better.

But when you are support for an Norseman athlete, all you want is for your athlete to have the best day possible.
It is an emotional journey, and yes I cried when Jordan crossed the finishing line.

In the weeks after the race my brother and I have discussed how we could be better, what we could do different.

Norseman 2017 was a journey, and I am glad I was part of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Anyway, thoughts on the blog at link above...

An amazing performance and a very thoughtful write-up, as always. Thank you for sharing.

Now if I can just get into Swissman.............. :-D :-D :-D

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up and as always thanks for sharing. For the post races blues what I do is spend time helping underprivileged youth in the community . . . zaps me right into a grateful mindset, which may be the most powerful of all emotions.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Aug 18, 17 12:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good read, thank you and congrats! I'm especially looking forward to your write-up on Challenge Iceland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for sharing your report. Interesting parallels with my experience at the BOP and related post race feelings.

Can you share your insights on how Norseman could be an even better race in the future?

Scott

Ps (edit); you may recall meeting me in my white shirt after the race and asking whether I'd be back for another shot at the black shirt. My answer has changed from a convincing "no" to a resounding "yes". Something about that race has a hold on my soul that has me consumed with a redemption reunion in Eidfjord.
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 18, 17 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Hope Rappstar Eventually Talks Norseman [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The race was very impactful. It took me to the edge in different ways.
I've been thinking of writing a race report but can't get it done. I think it is a psychological thing. A race report is a conclusion. I'm not sure I'm ready to conclude and return to normal. Though the return is happening as it inevitably does.
At first I thought I would love to go back and 'do it better'....but like many great experiences...trying to repeat it is rarely a success. And in this case the weather, etc could present something completely different. I got the black shirt and with that I am satisfied. Getting an other black shirt and going 20 minutes faster would be meaningless.

However, I was so impressed with the course, the crew, the participants etc and the 'magic' it all creates I am drawn to be a part of that again.
Last edited by: rhayden: Aug 18, 17 19:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Hello,

Scott

Nr 1: http://natgeobloggen.no/...perekord-i-norseman/

Nr 2: https://triallan.com/...eport-norseman-2017/

google translate will probably help you understand most of this :)

Thanks! I couldn't be more impressed with these two, along with Lars Stormo. Norway has bred a line of triathletes who are throwbacks to the origins of our sport. I respect their pure spirit, character and commitment to competition. Not to mention an impervious response to the cold! We need more athletes like this in sport today.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulation with a great race, and Nice RR! Even though er have completley different backgrounds and expectations for the race, you describe alot of what i felt as well.

Adaptions to the climate one usually trains in is fascinating. For me the weather/cold was no concern, and the weather on the day was mostly what I commute in to/from work every day during spring/fall. Put me in Kona however - and I'd melt away and fall after 30mins! (Never been there but races some other races in far easier "hot climates" - I simply shut down!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan,

Thanks again for sharing your race report on Norseman. You'll find your words as part of the story in my own Race Report.

Heia Heia,

Scott
Quote Reply