Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon
Quote | Reply
The Maine leader collapses before the finish line, the Maine second place guy picks him up and drags him over the finish line for the win, and everybody calls it sportsmanship as the third place guy climbs the podium.

http://www.pressherald.com/...in-win-maine-titles/
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon [Prefer golf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll bite.

I don't know that it is cheating. It's not triathlon. I don't if their rules prevent you from helping a fellow athlete in the race.

BUT, in the interview the runner-up said that he (the passer out) deserved to win, he ran a better race than I did. No, that's not true. A race is from the start line to the finish line and he ran a miscalculated race and blew up before the finish line. That's a pretty big race, not sure if there is prize money or not. If there is, and I'm the third place guy, I'm protesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A race is from the start line to the finish line and he ran a miscalculated race and blew up before the finish line.

Yep, cross the line then come back to help him but don't take someone's podium over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well no one had a problem when the Brownlee's did it....
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
A race is from the start line to the finish line and he ran a miscalculated race and blew up before the finish line.

Yep, cross the line then come back to help him but don't take someone's podium over it.

i agree. i happen to be friends with a former pro runner who is friends with the guy that came in 2nd. she made a post saying how proud of him she was. i typed up a comment, but decided to delete it.

i don't see how that's sportsmanship anyways. imagine a nascar driver ran out of gas and the 2nd place guy pushed him across the line..

lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by "as the the third place guy climbs the podium?"

I understand that the 3rd-place guy has a case for being first place under strict application of assistance rules. I just don't get what "climbing the podium" means.

"Cheating" is a bit clickbaitish and over-the-top. I see it more as good intentions gone wrong. Though if I were the 1st-place dude I'd DQ myself (not sure he was with-it enough to refuse to cross the line under assistance during the actual race).
Last edited by: trail: Aug 6, 17 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't see what the fuss is about. They could disqualify the two, but it's still going to be in the news as a positive thing and can only look bad on the race (it was on the radio here in Houston one morning). The "3rd place" finisher might get listed as the winner in that case, but he's never going to get near the recognition of the DQ'd guy. The second place guy could have just gone on to win, but instead, he's getting a lot more attention out of what he did than any 1st place trophy would garner (and he might have come off as an ass otherwise). Plus, he proved that he was the fastest guy out there even carrying another guy that last bit of the course (even if he has 2nd next to his name and is saying the other guy "ran a better race", everyone knows the deal). So what's the guy really losing. Besides just doing something he felt morally compelled to do, he's now a "feel good story of the day" celebrity.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
I really don't see what the fuss is about. They could disqualify the two, but it's still going to be in the news as a positive thing and can only look bad on the race (it was on the radio here in Houston one morning). The "3rd place" finisher might get listed as the winner in that case, but he's never going to get near the recognition of the DQ'd guy. The second place guy could have just gone on to win, but instead, he's getting a lot more attention out of what he did than any 1st place trophy would garner (and he might have come off as an ass otherwise). Plus, he proved that he was the fastest guy out there even carrying another guy that last bit of the course (even if he has 2nd next to his name and is saying the other guy "ran a better race", everyone knows the deal). So what's the guy really losing. Besides just doing something he felt morally compelled to do, he's now a "feel good story of the day" celebrity.

Totall agree, But as usual, some want to take a very positive story and somehow make it about cheating, negative, you name it

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like he tripped/pushed him at the finish line. Grab the torches and pitchforks!

Quote Reply
Re: Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:

Seem to remember a similar story in triathlon. I don't know, can't quite put my finger on it.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prefer golf wrote:
The plot thickens -

http://www.pressherald.com/...d-for-sportsmanship/

This sums it up nicely:
“I think there’s just a lot of people hungry for positive news. I think this story hits home because it’s an indication that there’s still good in the world.”

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating celebrated at Beach to Beacon [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

i don't see how that's sportsmanship anyways. imagine a nascar driver ran out of gas and the 2nd place guy pushed him across the line..

lol

2011 U.S. Cellular 250 (Iowa, XFINITY Series)
Up in front, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. looked like he was going to take the checkered flag during the 2011 XFINITY U.S. Cellular 250 at Iowa Speedway. But unexpected trouble found the No. 6 car, as Stenhouse blew a motor just before crossing the line. Second-place Carl Edwards ran into the back of the No. 6, pushing Stenhouse across the start/finish line first. The shove handed Stenhouse the unexpected win, leaving Edwards with a runner-up finish.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply