Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size.
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

It looks like my dream of getting a canyon speedmax may be coming true. As a brazilian it's is very difficult and expensive to ship a bike from US or EU to here. A friend that is living in Portugal now said that he could bring one for me in his next visit.

My bike today is a very old (<2010) Scott Plasma (size Small), fitted by a rettul fitter 1 and 1/2 years ago. I'm 170cm tall, arm pad reach (back of the pad): 442mm and stack of 628mm.

Questions:

1 - How is my fit currently for the Scott?

2 - Should I still get a Size S for the Speedmax?

Here is the sizing table for them:

Thanks a lot for your time and help!
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing the same. I went to my fitter and for $75 he looked up the my fit and compared to the chart you posted.
I will order a medium with up turned bars and the L bend extensions.
I need to exchange my current cranks (172.5mm) for the 175 it comes with it.
The pre-fit was a good option for me. My fitter will use the $75 as a down payment for a fit when I get the bike.
Very curious to see what models are available in US

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Karl. I'll see if my fitter does the same service.

In the mean time, anybody has other sugestion?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [Jonny89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at your beard I wonder if you want to get the women's model ;-). If not you are looking at the wrong size chart since there is a difference between men's and women'n models. And make sure you get your armpad reach right, canyon measures to center of pad.

Regards,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The beard is temporary =P.

Yes this is the womem size chart (don't have my sizes in men's version anymore), the frames are identical only difference if that the womem's stem is 70mm long (vs 80mm for men's version).

Thanks for mentioning my arm pad reach, I know that I should add 30-40mm from the retul numbers.

Looking to my video, I think that I should lower the saddle a little, maybe 5-10mm and lower the front-end the same amount and also pull it back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
How is my fit currently for the Scott?

It's not very good. Saddle needs to come down and forward and front end needs to come down and forward. Try saddle 1 cm down and 1 cm forward, and front end 1 cm down and 1 cm forward. It's probably going to take more than that though

What saddle is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try that, ty.

It's an Adamo Prologue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I got a fit by a fitter and ended up in this possition:

and fit coordinates:

I'm feeling very comfortable in the new bike/position, but looking at the photo looks like my seat is too high and that I'm not rolled foward enough.

What do you guys think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
So I got a fit by a fitter and ended up in this possition:

and fit coordinates:

I'm feeling very comfortable in the new bike/position, but looking at the photo looks like my seat is too high and that I'm not rolled foward enough.

What do you guys think?

I think your seat is too high mostly because you are not rolled forward enough. And the fitter put the sensor on your knee in the wrong spot, making the angle more acute than it actually is.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like your over reaching with your toes: seat may be to high.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering a fitter would ask him not to point his toes and refit him or fit him this way because that is his "normal" riding position? Just curious about how much cycling advice fitter give or do they just work to get best fit at the time?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet bike! Still waiting in the U. S.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
Wondering a fitter would ask him not to point his toes and refit him or fit him this way because that is his "normal" riding position? Just curious about how much cycling advice fitter give or do they just work to get best fit at the time?

He didn't said to me to try to change my pedal style. My perception is that he wasn't trying to put my feet flat with the ground and was considering the knee angle more important...

I'll pick a 165mm (172,5 in the picture) crankset by the end of the year and I think that I won't move my saddle when I get it to try to resolve this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny89 wrote:
Karl wrote:

He didn't said to me to try to change my pedal style. My perception is that he wasn't trying to put my feet flat with the ground and was considering the knee angle more important...

I'll pick a 165mm (172,5 in the picture) crankset by the end of the year and I think that I won't move my saddle when I get it to try to resolve this issue.

I don't ask riders not to point their toes. If they are toe pointing, I will drop their seat to a height that I am certain is not too high and see if their toe pointing subsides. A small portion of riders toe point naturally, while most are doing it due to seat height, so you can't simply dictate foot articulation without sufficient information.
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.

I'll have to do some try rides and play with saddles and saddle height to see if I can get a better position!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your old position looked better...although it needs work.
This current position looks too tight ...you look cramped...and possibly less aero.
I would take a look at this

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't ever look at Dumoulin for a tri bike fit. It's not the same thing. He actually has a terrible position for triathlon. Slowtwitch needs to come to grips with this.

Static pics are impossible to fit with. Your seat looks high but what we really need to see - any fitter needs to see - is how you interact with your saddle and what you do to pedal efficiently. It all starts with the saddle then we make room in the hips (with position and equipment choices) and then we work on reach and drop. Your back is a little arched but not because of angles - back humping is an output not an input - it usually comes from saddle and crank length and tight hips. But, I'm not convinced, yet, from one static picture, that your back isn't just your back. Some people are kyphotic and/or have modern jobs. I might push your reach out a bit just based on the pic. But the whole thing is systemic. That choice would be based on confirming the other concerns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree you can't dictate foot articulation without sufficient information, you can't do anything in bike fitting without sufficient information. But it's not seat height. I mean, it is sort of...you might get lucky with seat height. But, what you're looking for - if you're fitting the athlete and not the angle or the philosophy - are the imbalances, patterns, past injuries, compensations causing the pointing. Often, a tight hip on one side....walk around the fit bike to the other side and you'll see the compensation expressed. Toe pointing is an output. You often see toe pointing in triathletes that come from a fast running background - e.g. runner's that'll smoke an open 1/2/full marathon. You also see toe pointing in people with tight hamstrings, backs, and hips. It can make seat height look to high but if you fit to that you're altering seat height on the other side as well.

So you can move the seat around within the range but can do more damage than educating the rider of what you're seeing and working on an off the bike plan. So if hips are tight, hamstrings, low back, they work in an office and have desk neck, etc. You have to put the band aid on the cut not where the blood drips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally I could change my seat to an adamo road and I'm now also in 165mm cranks.

Here is a video with helmet on:

Changes I can make quickly:

- Remove the spacer under the stem;
- Move the pad forward;
- Move the seat;

How is it now?
Last edited by: Jonny89: Feb 8, 18 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: Fit analysis and help choosing the correct Canyon speedmax size. [GreenBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenBoy wrote:
I agree you can't dictate foot articulation without sufficient information, you can't do anything in bike fitting without sufficient information. But it's not seat height. I mean, it is sort of...you might get lucky with seat height. But, what you're looking for - if you're fitting the athlete and not the angle or the philosophy - are the imbalances, patterns, past injuries, compensations causing the pointing. Often, a tight hip on one side....walk around the fit bike to the other side and you'll see the compensation expressed. Toe pointing is an output. You often see toe pointing in triathletes that come from a fast running background - e.g. runner's that'll smoke an open 1/2/full marathon. You also see toe pointing in people with tight hamstrings, backs, and hips. It can make seat height look to high but if you fit to that you're altering seat height on the other side as well.

So you can move the seat around within the range but can do more damage than educating the rider of what you're seeing and working on an off the bike plan. So if hips are tight, hamstrings, low back, they work in an office and have desk neck, etc. You have to put the band aid on the cut not where the blood drips.

This sounds a lot like Functional Movement Screen driven bike fitting? I approach bike fitting as easy enough for most people that dysfunction seeking is not required.
Quote Reply