Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reintroduction into society
Quote | Reply
After spending two weeks camping in Rocky Mountain National Park I found I like camping more than living in a house, at least during decent weather. I'm heading back up to Donner on Monday with the dog, if you're up there look for me. I've got some trails to hike and some beer to drink and I think there's a big meteor shower too this week. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado...

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Reintroduction into society [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After spending two weeks camping in Rocky Mountain National Park I found I like camping more than living in a house, at least during decent weather. I'm heading back up to Donner on Monday with the dog

I spent a few years out of regular society, mainly living in a tent and going through very remote areas like Australia's outback and the far north of Canada. I've really struggled trying to fit back into society and often wonder why I don't just go find a cabin, and live with my family and a dog.

Enjoy, it doesn't get any better than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dream.
Quote Reply
Re: Reintroduction into society [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez, the urge must be really bad. I've done a 6 month stint in Montana and a 2 month stint in Southern Utah and the urge is strong. I am oddly more materialistic now as I compare everything to living in a tent. I feel like trying to live frugally means I should just be living in a tent. I think it just skews me more to wanting more when living in a house so the house doesn't seem like a $1000 a month tent then before I did it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this thread was going to be about this:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
After spending two weeks camping in Rocky Mountain National Park I found I like camping more than living in a house,

I spent a summer living on a houseboat in the Thousands Islands where the mighty St. Lawrence meets the Great Lakes. It was with out a doubt the best summer of my life. But we're talking June-July-August. Would I want to do it in Dec-Jan-Feb? Uh, not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great you've changed your perspective, I really wish everyone could do so. We took off on our boat for 6 mos sailing throughout Mexico and the Sea of Cortez and totally dropped out. Our reentry was a challenge mostly because of the barrage of advertising we suffer as well as difficulty getting people to release the pretense and be real. We met many people / families our cruising and we all shed our pretense after our first storm at sea. Whist many might have been assholes in the fake world, in the real world they were extraordinary and we always knew if we had any trouble they a would all drop everything for us as we would for them.

Don't lose your discomfort with modern society and day to day life - it'll serve you well as you get older and gain perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seem appropos:

"No (hu)man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength"

Jack Kerouac
Quote Reply