Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You, Too, Can Rewire Your Brain
Quote | Reply
Step back, take a deep breath and...learn to learn all over again. :-)

"The studio for what is arguably the world’s most successful online course is tucked into a corner of Barb and Phil Oakley’s basement, a converted TV room that smells faintly of cat urine. (At the end of every video session, the Oakleys pin up the green fabric that serves as the backdrop so Fluffy doesn’t ruin it.)

This is where they put together “Learning How to Learn,” taken by more than 1.8 million students from 200 countries, the most ever on Coursera. The course provides practical advice on tackling daunting subjects and on beating procrastination, and the lessons engagingly blend neuroscience and common sense.

Dr. Oakley, an engineering professor at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich., created the class with Terrence Sejnowski, a neuroscientist at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, and with the University of California, San Diego.

Prestigious universities have spent millions and employ hundreds of professionally trained videographers, editors and producers to create their massive open online courses, known as MOOCs. The Oakleys put together their studio with equipment that cost $5,000. They figured out what to buy by Googling “how to set up a green screen studio” and “how to set up studio lighting.” Mr. Oakley runs the camera and teleprompter. She does most of the editing. The course is free ($49 for a certificate of completion — Coursera won’t divulge how many finish)."

You, too, can rewire your brain.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: You, Too, Can Rewire Your Brain [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a rather charming story. Recently I took up painting. It has taught me to appreciate colours. I find myself staring at clouds and thinking how come I never noticed the pinks and blues and purples up there. I'm not talking sunrise and sunset just midday clouds.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: You, Too, Can Rewire Your Brain [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Chunks build on chunks..." I can understand why the class is so popular.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply