Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman 70.3 Barcelona - Advice needed
Quote | Reply
I am about to register for the 2018 70.3 Ironman in Barcelona and am researching accommodations, car rental, etc. Here are my questions:

- Is it preferable to stay in Barcelona and commute to Calella for the race? (as opposed to staying in Calella and drive to Barcelona for touring/visits, etc.)
- Is Calella a place where we could spend 10 days?
- How is the bike course (what should I expect in terms of degree of difficulty)?
- Are prices comparable in Barcelona and Calella in terms of food/restaurants, etc.?

Any additional tips/advice would be appreciated as this will be my first time in Barcelona and I am very excited about the trip.

Thanks in advance,

Karl
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Barcelona - Advice needed [KChemsi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(note I did the full, which is in October, but I think my answers still apply):

Quote:
- Is it preferable to stay in Barcelona and commute to Calella for the race? (as opposed to staying in Calella and drive to Barcelona for touring/visits, etc.)
I would recommend staying in Calella for maybe Friday - Monday for convenience. Yes the logistics are easier for a half, and it looks like the half runs inland, instead of following the waterline like the full. But you're talking an early drive in, and there are basically two ways: the toll freeway or follow the coast, which is a bit slow due to all the roundabouts.

Quote:
- Is Calella a place where we could spend 10 days?
Not really unless you want a lot of time to sit on the beach. A couple days are good. Keep in mind for the races, 70.3 in May and full in October, they are off the peak vacation season so it is very very quiet in Calella.

Quote:
- How is the bike course (what should I expect in terms of degree of difficulty)?
I haven't ridden it but the course for the half goes inland so you should expect a fair amount of hill climbing. Downhill finish though.

Quote:
- Are prices comparable in Barcelona and Calella in terms of food/restaurants, etc.?
They seemed pretty similar to me although Barcelona, being a major city, has a wider variety of options - either more or less expensive.

Quote:
Any additional tips/advice would be appreciated as this will be my first time in Barcelona and I am very excited about the trip.
Depending how long you're staying - think about getting a self storage unit for the bike after the race. I used City Self Storage and they were easy to deal with. It's easier if you speak some Spanish but not required. I can't remember, check a map, but I think you want their location near Hospitalet if you want the bike kept near the airport.

That's about it off the top of my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Barcelona - Advice needed [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot Spudone. This is really useful information and much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Barcelona - Advice needed [KChemsi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spudone pretty much covered it all, I did the Half this year, I suggest staying in Calella for a few days over the race Weekend, it is nice enough for a couple of days and saves an early commute on race day.

There are plenty of hotels on the front and lots of reasonably priced restaurants.

The course is straight forward, three climbs, steady and not too dramatic, one technical 5km on one of the decents that you need a little caution on, suggest driving the course as always, the run and swim are flat though.

You can then enjoy Barcelona.
Quote Reply