Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How often do you change your chain [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
First, use a chain gauge that actually works:

http://pardo.net/...ic/fail-004/000.html

I think Pedro's new tool is the cheapest. After all these years, I think Park still hasn't figured it out.

link not working for me ...
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have said, it depends, based on your power, the terrain you ride, the weather, and how well/often you clean your chain and cassette. Once a year could be perfectly fine.

I'm pretty fussy about cleaning and lubing my chain. I don't consider myself to be very powerful or rough on my equipment. It's flat as a pancake and almost always dry as a bone here in West Texas/Eastern NM. I can easily get away with putting on a brand new KMC chain early in the spring, ride/race in the summer, then train in the fall/winter with the same chain. About 4500 miles per chain.

Back in the day (25 years ago), riding in hilly terrain and wet weather in Europe, I'd change chains every 1500 miles or so. That seemed to be about the time you'd get some chain skipping in some gears.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I mentioned above, I do the same........
BUT, maybe a better question for folks - what really defines a 'worn out' chain?
I've had chains (KMC) that I've used for more than one season, on multiple casettes/wheels, and they shift perfect all the time. I clean my chains somewhat regularly and lube with rock n roll gold.
I've never once owned a chain that stopped shifting properly, and I've put on plenty of miles. Once about 15 years ago I had a chain snap, a wipperman.

So the whole chain stretch thing, are folks worried about shift quality, or do you feel the stretch is somehow costing watts??
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I define worn out chain by shifting issues. I change my chain when

A) I drop a chain on a ride on two consecutive long rides

B) drop a chain more than once on a ride

C) shifting that's not as smooth as it used to be (i.e., more ghost shifting than it should be)

Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
Sausagetail wrote:
First, use a chain gauge that actually works:

http://pardo.net/...ic/fail-004/000.html

I think Pedro's new tool is the cheapest. After all these years, I think Park still hasn't figured it out.

link not working for me ...

Just tested it and it works. Even hit ^F5 a few times.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are my relube chain indicators.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently I have not been changing chains soon enough. Gone through two cassettes in the past year and just replaced the front chain ring, Ultegra 6800. I'm told that there is no good mileage gauge b/c the amount of power you put through the chain and the type of terrain can create significant differences. I've finally just decided to go buy that darn tool that tells you when it's stretched. Chains are inexpensive and easy to replace. No reason not to swap them out as needed to ensure you don't chew through cassettes and chain rings like I have.

Maybe it's not such a big deal for triathlons and maybe tri training isn't as stressful on a chain since there is no need to put a ton of torque into your bike so it's not trained, but having your chain skip as you sprint out of turn during a crit is a damn scary situation. Not trusting your bike not to skip when you put down power sucks even more. That crap gets in your head.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are only two chain measurement tools in production that accurately measure chain wear.

Chainring wear is easy to visualize. Cassettes not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever the .75 peg on my Park tool slides all the way down.

Mileage based would never work for me. I have been running the same brand for a decade plus and have had chains wear out after about 1000 miles (very dirty riding and lax cleaning) and others last 4000 miles plus (clean riding and keeping up on my cleaning chores).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you know when your chain is worn/due for a change?
Last edited by: ninagski: Aug 7, 17 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Park chain gauges don't work.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.parktool.com/...a-chain-on-a-bicycle

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i check the stretch with a checker and consider changing my chain and rear cog once shifting starts skipping or is not as crisp.
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you change your chain [jayz2949] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I change mine every season. The beginning of the season, around February or March. It's less than $100, so it's a no-brainer to just do it. Plus it's piece of mind to start the new season.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply

Prev Next