Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compu trainer and IPad
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if you can connnect a CompuTrainer Pro 8001 with an IPad so I can use with TR and Zwift? If so how?

Had it connected to an old laptop, with CompuTrainer software, but that's to old to work with TR and Zwift. Have iPad for work and don't won't to buy another laptop just for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the computrainer to work you need it to communicate with your computer and that can only happen through the wired connection. So there is no way that an ipad will work stand alone with your computrainer. yYu need a computer that can run the other app such as zwift that also has the USB connection to your computrainer. You can run the ipad app but you still have to log in with your computer connected to the computrainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Does anyone know if you can connnect a CompuTrainer Pro 8001 with an IPad so I can use with TR and Zwift? If so how?

Had it connected to an old laptop, with CompuTrainer software, but that's to old to work with TR and Zwift. Have iPad for work and don't won't to buy another laptop just for this.

As noted, your inability to connect the computrainer with modern electronic devices is what killed the computrainer. Bluetooth killed the computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
CJAC wrote:

As noted, your inability to connect the computrainer with modern electronic devices is what killed the computrainer. Bluetooth killed the computrainer.

I strongly suspect that this is correct. However the wired connection was the reason I got rid of my Tacx trainer and bought a Computrainer. I use an old PC and TrainerRoad and it just works first time, all the time.

It's a bit clumsy looking but I absolutely love my Computrainer !!!!

LG
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Use this and it works:
http://www.npe-inc.com/...Start_Guide_v1.1.pdf
the computrainer does not broadcast either ant+ or BLE for the control of the unit so unfortunately the info on that link will not help, the only way to control a computrainer is via the USB wired connection to the Computrainer controller. So you can not connect and directly control a computrainer via an ipad. You do not need a lot of computing power to run either Zwift or trainer road, you can get by with an older intel i3 with adequate memory. See both websites they explain what works and how to connect.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Use this and it works:
http://www.npe-inc.com/...Start_Guide_v1.1.pdf

the computrainer does not broadcast either ant+ or BLE for the control of the unit so unfortunately the info on that link will not help, the only way to control a computrainer is via the USB wired connection to the Computrainer controller. So you can not connect and directly control a computrainer via an ipad. You do not need a lot of computing power to run either Zwift or trainer road, you can get by with an older intel i3 with adequate memory. See both websites they explain what works and how to connect.

Thats right, my bad...I was using the CABLE device to pick up ant+ on an iPad for TR.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An alternate solution would be a touchscreen monitor on a PC/laptop connected to your computrainer -- btw, I use the computrainer AND we have have a wahoo kickr snap in the house, as well -

whichever sized touchscreen monitor, as of today, you can buy a 23" for 130 bucks, or a 16" for 99, would give you most, if not all, of the usability of an ipad, and conceptually, if you had a large monitor, a more immersive experience --

This is such a straightforward solution that it sort of precludes using a WASP to connect to your PC to rebroadcast on BTLE from computrainer data (that made my head hurt just thinking that)

Yes, wireless tech AND price are what killed the computrainer product -- I wish that I could have bought the company and reworked a couple things on it

first and foremost - replace crazy fuse setup with an externally replaceable automotive type fuse
second - build BTLE (not ANT+) interface - INCLUDING sensor support (cadence!!! - the cadence puck is just weird)
third - build BTLE replacement product for the wired systems - if its on a wire, it can be wireless, for data
fourth - re-position products to align with market tiers ...

but hey, i am just a rider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know the CT can only be used with a PC or desktop Mac as it is wired. Old school, but a super reliable, no dropout connection.
Last edited by: mspeas: Jan 7, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one other thing of note about the computrainer is that it requires the head unit to communicate. They usually said the reason they would not transmit data wirelessly was that the quantity of data they could transmit was throttled by either ant+ at a 1 second interval or BLE thogh I know nothing of these things that was their story. It is too bad they could not change with the times and accept that what was to them a golden rule was basically unimportant to most users. So as what happened to the dionosaurs they too failed to adapt and went extinct. I truly love my computrainer but I fear the day it no longer is supported by any third party apps. There is no reason to waste time and resources any longer with all of the other smart trainers on the market.

To the OP there is no way that I have heard of to transmit (communicate) bidirectionally to a computrainer wirelessly One would think it should be possible to do some sort of wireless translation but you would still need the controller unit and that would still link via wire to something one way or another. To make it truly wireless it would need the controller unit built into the generator somehow. I would think this is possible but sadly highly unlikely it will ever happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With both PerfPro and Ergvideo we still have long time support via 3rd party software.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As well as Zwift although Zwift does require that the CT be relatively new & on a PC our MAC. I think new means 2008 or newer.
Last edited by: mspeas: Jan 7, 18 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [mspeas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke with a few people who moved from Computrainer to Kickr or Neo and at least the ones I spoke with, saw no differences on the ride itself. Only advantage was the wires (although some people may actually want them to reduce the risk of a link drop during a race) and some improvement in noise reduction (with Neo not Kickr). My tires last almost as much as my regular road tires and don't have issues with slippage. I will keep my Computrainer until it breaks, and have no option but to move, in the meantime I find no reason to move.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [mspeas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mspeas wrote:
As far as I know the CT can only be used with a PC or desktop Mac as it is wired. Old school, but a super reliable, no dropout connection.

I believe there was a 3rd party that made CT wireless via Wi-Fi. Look for the Kinobottle ... I'm not sure if it would work with TR or Zwift but you can look into it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/computrainer-control-announced.html

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current kinomap site has no reference to the Kinobottle. Pretty sure that's a dead end at this point but someone else correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Compu trainer and IPad [jrfalck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrfalck wrote:
I spoke with a few people who moved from Computrainer to Kickr or Neo and at least the ones I spoke with, saw no differences on the ride itself. Only advantage was the wires (although some people may actually want them to reduce the risk of a link drop during a race) and some improvement in noise reduction (with Neo not Kickr). My tires last almost as much as my regular road tires and don't have issues with slippage. I will keep my Computrainer until it breaks, and have no option but to move, in the meantime I find no reason to move.

I beg to differ. I sold my ComputrIner and bought a Kickr after 5 minutes riding on one because the road feel was SO much better at higher wattages and/or slopes. Plus, no silliness of calibrating after 10 minutes of warmup, adjusting the tension on the tire, etc. Kickr you really only have to calibrate every week or so if you’re leaving your bike on it.