Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could buy one pair of Triathlon Shorts? [Etexag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tested out the Roka tri shorts, in comparison to the Desoto Forza?
Last edited by: DrMonkeyhead: Aug 9, 17 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I am a bit short agnostic (Garneau, Zoot, 2XU, Sugoi, etc all work fine), I prefer DeSoto.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto tri bibs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto

I really like the side pockets. It's great for stuffing wrappers and stuff in.

The newer one has a fly which would be super useful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2XU Endurance short from 5+ years ago. My all time favorite short but they don't seem to make an equivalent one now. I've worn out the the ones I have. Kawami is my current favorite.

Lot's of love for Desoto here. Good shorts but personally I like a little more stretch in the fabric.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy one pair of Triathlon Shorts? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
2XU Endurance short from 5+ years ago. My all time favorite short but they don't seem to make an equivalent one now. I've worn out the the ones I have. Kawami is my current favorite.

Lot's of love for Desoto here. Good shorts but personally I like a little more stretch in the fabric.

Kawami Spyder or DeSoto???????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwami Spider. But I would definitely use a 1 piece for any race. Their shorts are also awesome, with the external silver compression paying HUGE dividends in the later stages of a race or long workout. They are my "go to" when I know it will be tough towards the end. The fabric is so very light, stays that way through the race, and is the best supporting shorts I've ever worn. Best stuff on the market by far.....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Last edited by: ggeiger: Aug 13, 17 20:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:
If you could buy one pair of triathlon shorts for 140.6, which would you chose?

You will get a lot of desoto fans here, for obvious reasons. And I have a lot of desoto stuff and I can appreciate that Emilio posts here often.

And I'm surprised that it took this long, but you will also get a number of Kiwami fan boys.

Disregard ggeiger - he is a known shill.

Desoto stuff is decent. And it will last you a long time. But it's nowhere near the level of the OP's query: "if you could buy one pair...".

Kiwami isn't even in the ballpark. Their stuff is decades behind the best competitors.

I've tried all of the major brands of tri shorts. Because I wear tri shorts ALL THE TIME. I do A LOT of bricks. Not because I think there is a training benefit, but because economy (i.e., shower time) dictates that bricks work for me.

Desoto stuff is fine. It works. The pockets are well thought out. It lasts forever. I would put Desoto in the B+ category. You have to choose between pads. The felt pad is not enough, but the classico 4mm pad is too much.

Kiwami is not fine. Silicon leg grippers? See-through panels? A chamois with stitching that you can feel while you're riding - AND running? No thanks. And I have tried Kiwami several times, really wanting to like them. I would put Kiwami in the solid C category.

If you want ONE PAIR, you want Wattie Ink. Their pad is ideal - enough for biking, but disappears on the run. And the fabric is the perfect balance between compression and "give". Get over their funky patterns - they also have some nice basics.

Coming in a close second is Castelli. A very nice pad, comfortable leg grippers, perfect panel fabric. The only knock against Castelli is that it doesn't last as long. If I was more focused on economy (amortization), I would put desoto ahead of Castelli. But my rubric puts comfort slightly ahead of durability.

I would put Desoto Forza solidly in third place. Or maybe HUUB DS.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy one pair of Triathlon Shorts? [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sir, are an idiot. Let the OP do a search and see what pops up as far as the best gear. Quit trying to belittle me because I have a fair amount of experience, knowledge and know quality when I see and use it. You appear to be a WI shill and having seen their gear; you must be on opioids. You are comical without even knowing it. Having worked in the industry I have felt most of them and your frequent bricks must be affecting your judgement.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy one pair of Triathlon Shorts? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
You appear to be a WI shill and having seen their gear; you must be on opioids.

This tells you all you need to know. He has seen their gear, so he must know its quality. Comical,

And check his signature.

Oh well.

OP: when you make your selection, you may want to disregard those with a bias.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy one pair of Triathlon Shorts? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like bad blood. Haha

Has anyone tried OwnWay Apparel? Our team kits are from there. I bought the jersey but wanted the best bottoms I could find. Figured Black would go with anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:

No bad blood. I just think it is important for information consumers to consume unbiased information.

To answer your question, I have not tried OwnWay apparel.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy one pair of Triathlon Shorts? [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
Etexag wrote:
If you could buy one pair of triathlon shorts for 140.6, which would you chose?

You will get a lot of desoto fans here, for obvious reasons. And I have a lot of desoto stuff and I can appreciate that Emilio posts here often.

And I'm surprised that it took this long, but you will also get a number of Kiwami fan boys.

Disregard ggeiger - he is a known shill.

Desoto stuff is decent. And it will last you a long time. But it's nowhere near the level of the OP's query: "if you could buy one pair...".

Kiwami isn't even in the ballpark. Their stuff is decades behind the best competitors.

I've tried all of the major brands of tri shorts. Because I wear tri shorts ALL THE TIME. I do A LOT of bricks. Not because I think there is a training benefit, but because economy (i.e., shower time) dictates that bricks work for me.

Desoto stuff is fine. It works. The pockets are well thought out. It lasts forever. I would put Desoto in the B+ category. You have to choose between pads. The felt pad is not enough, but the classico 4mm pad is too much.

Kiwami is not fine. Silicon leg grippers? See-through panels? A chamois with stitching that you can feel while you're riding - AND running? No thanks. And I have tried Kiwami several times, really wanting to like them. I would put Kiwami in the solid C category.

If you want ONE PAIR, you want Wattie Ink. Their pad is ideal - enough for biking, but disappears on the run. And the fabric is the perfect balance between compression and "give". Get over their funky patterns - they also have some nice basics.

Coming in a close second is Castelli. A very nice pad, comfortable leg grippers, perfect panel fabric. The only knock against Castelli is that it doesn't last as long. If I was more focused on economy (amortization), I would put desoto ahead of Castelli. But my rubric puts comfort slightly ahead of durability.

I would put Desoto Forza solidly in third place. Or maybe HUUB DS.

Agree.

Tried most of them as well and DeSoto fills my race short cabinet...Forza, Foraza w/ pockets, shorts with 4mm pad, 7mm pad, 400 Mile shorts...they last and hold up. BUT that is for training, and I too run a lot of bricks and appreciate shorts that can handle 2 hr on the trainer then disappear on the run after.

Used Castelli tri suit last year and worked out well. But 2 70.3s and one IM and the suit is stained, stretched and relegated to training rides. Still has life and I did buy a 2017 version, though sizing is different with manufacturing shifting to another country.

2 years ago use the LG tri suit and liked it. Didn't love it. But their shorts do feel good in aero.

Used the Huub DS last year for Oceanside...good suit except for the rear pockets...could not reach them.

I did get this summer a Kiwami Spider in the new blue/ green color. Having ridden in it (no run or swim yet) I find it comfortable, compression in the right areas and good enough on the bike. I do agree GG is a hard core shill for Kiwami...not a bad thing if you're just a fan of the product but it comes off disingenuous. Sorry.

From earlier replies in the thread I did get curious about the WI shorts and put an order in on some of the not so odious color choices. The 'punk rock' collection is like seeing your Great Aunt show up to your graduation in a GnR t shirt. Just no. BUT the good things I have heard about the quality for materials has me hoping for the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:

Has anyone tried OwnWay Apparel? Our team kits are from there. I bought the jersey but wanted the best bottoms I could find. Figured Black would go with anything.

Don't even know the guy, but he seems pretty obnoxious, especially since he only has been here for 65 posts or so. Not sure why he picked a fight with me, but I am passionate about what I believe and what I feel to be true. Over the course of 34 years in tri I have used and worked on the vast majority of the brands out there, so feel I have room to talk. Others obviously disagree, so I leave their option to not seek experience and knowledge to themselves. If they made as many mistakes as I have in gear then perhaps they'd value one or two of my opinions.

I have a friend who is on the Big Sexy team and seems to like the Onway gear, but it is one of the very, very few brands I have not seen and actually worked on. I thought I saw one poster on ST a few months back say that they were the former Nimblewear group, but I could be wrong on that. You are smart to go with black, as many of the dye sub products don't wear as well as a solid good quality material. Emilio has a good post on a thread a fair time ago about the material used in that process having to contain more of a certain fiber to retain the dye which made it lesser(my choice of words) than an all black product. I've known him for a long time and know he does a great job too, both with his clothing and customer support.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Wattie for training and the few tri's i've done. It's like wearing nothing at all. The padding is great on the ride, and unnoticeable when on the run. Fantastic product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Desoto Tri Shorts, sorry don't remember which model they are, but they have the ITU pad in them. They are about 10 years old and are still my go to tri shorts for any and every distance. They still look like new since I only race in them. Great quality obviously to have lasted this long but more then that, most comfortable I have ever worn over the IM distance bike.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see the discussion here since I wear both Kiwami and De Soto for racing. I just finished a 150km swim/bike stage in the Kiwami Spider bottoms and 275km bike stage in the De Soto Riviera 2-piece for Ultra520K Canada. I would recommend the latter; I find De Soto to be cooler and much more comfortable, and as others have mentioned the pad disappears on the run. (For this race, however, I wore Roka shorts).

FWIW the De Soto Skin Cooler material really works and the kits are lightweight and long lasting.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto Riviera

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compressport or Skinfit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used the Roka Elite Aero tri short? I'm eyeing those off but they're a bit expensive considering I can't find much of a review on them
Quote Reply

Prev Next