Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Douche move sort of the day
Quote | Reply
So I saw this video a few months ago. Some guy and his son went deep into Algonquin Park to a lake he knew of that once had great Brook Trout fishing. Sure enough, it still does.

He posted a video of them hauling in. A bunch of sweet brookies but wouldn't tell anyone where he fished. All good. As I wouldn't tell either. Nor would anyone with a brain.

So some douche has requested using Freedom of information his camping permits to see where he was in the park. The request was denied. Hopefully this ends now.

http://www.cbc.ca/...shing-spot-1.4232556

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guy is a douche for posting video in the first place.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only people you tell about your fishing success are the people who have zero interest in fishing. There's more than one idiot in that story!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a family cottage near Algonquin park and used to catch Lake Trout regularly. Then they seemed to have disappeared so if there are trout coming back, it would be great news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Internet scouting for fishing and hunting spots is huge. It's a shame and we have all learned the hard way to treat these things like you would Fight Club.

I've had some great spots ruined due to this. One was because I took a person to one of my "spots" and he didn't respect the confidentiality of it. Another was killed because someone else posted on a message board pics and video of fishing the area.

Last edited by: Endo: Aug 3, 17 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now you understand my stance on the promotion of surfing and the exploitation of surf spots.

Thank you.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

This.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
We had a family cottage near Algonquin park and used to catch Lake Trout regularly. Then they seemed to have disappeared so if there are trout coming back, it would be great news.

A good Lake Trout fishing hole you don't talk about. In public. But when you find a good Brook Trout spot, you cut out your fishing buddy's tongue so he won't give up the secret Under torture

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why my best trout fishing was always done at night, sometimes through the middle of the night. Nobody around anyway to see, out before anyone might happen to come by, able to hit more holes & spots and not have the fish pounded. Beside my dad, there was only one friend I'd ever bring to my prime spots and that was because he was too flaky to remember where we were or how we got there. There's not a good spot for wading for decent trout within 90 minutes of where I'm at now, so it's been too long since the waders have been dipped. I need to change that soon.

Endo wrote:
Internet scouting for fishing and hunting spots is huge. It's a shame and we have all learned the hard way to treat these things like you would Fight Club.

I've had some great spots ruined due to this. One was because I took a person to one of my "spots" and he didn't respect the confidentiality of it. Another was killed because someone else posted on a message board pics and video of fishing the area.

Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
And now you understand my stance on the promotion of surfing and the exploitation of surf spots.

Bullshit. You can SUP damn near anywhere.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I can, but you can't.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Thank you.

I've always understood. However if I ever find someone in my fishing spot I won't go tip his canoe and beat him up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I can, but you can't.

Yeah, you look great!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

This.

Why? He purposefully didn't say where he was fishing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I get that he didnt explicitly post the location.

What's the point of the post, then? That he has an awesome secret spot and yeah u don't?

He's a douche. Just fish.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Yeah, I get that he didnt explicitly post the location.

What's the point of the post, then? That he has an awesome secret spot and yeah u don't?

Not at all. There is a forum similar to his where people share their experiences in the park. Some people write. Some people show pictures. Some show videos.

He shared his experience. People marvelled. Some asked where he was. He said that he wouldnt tell us. All good.

Then some asshole tried to get the info via freedom of information.

This kind of asshole wouldn't even put in the work to go to that lake if he got that info. This is the kind of asshole that only wants to share the lake with everyone. Just to be an asshole.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Thank you.

I've always understood. However if I ever find someone in my fishing spot I won't go tip his canoe and beat him up.

I wouldn't do that at a surf spot either, unless the guy showed up in a canoe.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally don't consider posting pics of your fishing successes a douche move. I'm a member of several fishing forums and there are rules as others here suggest. Generally speaking you do as this gentleman did and you don't post specifics about the location. Those with more advanced skillz will remove meta data from any pics they post :-) Readers PM the OP and ask for specifics and it is up to the OP whether or not he gives up the goods on exact location.

I enjoy greatly looking at others' fishing posts--the location, the fish, the people, the gear. I helps the time go by when your over here.

Now the asshat that filed the FOI--that there is some major league douchery!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Thank you.

I'm going surfing this month in Scotland. Its off the west coast and I'll be happy to tell anyone because its so fucking hard to get there it can't be exploited.
Quote Reply
Re: Douche move sort of the day [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Thank you.

I'm going surfing this month in Scotland. Its off the west coast and I'll be happy to tell anyone because its so fucking hard to get there it can't be exploited.

G-Land
Nias
Skeleton Bay
Punts Lobos
Etc., etc...

The world is full of surf spots that are hard to get to, and are also very very crowded.

Back in the 90s it was said that Mavericks would never get crowded because "the wave will take care of itself." Now every time it breaks there are 75-100 (or more) people in the lineup.

Keep it to yourself. There's nothing to gain and plenty to lose by telling everyone where it is.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Aug 4, 17 3:37
Quote Reply