Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

iPhone Question
Quote | Reply
The kids are going with my mom for several days to Turks and Caicos next week. Wondering if there is a way to password lock their phones so that they still have use of wi-fi and can take pictures, etc., but I can feel safely assured that they will not be able to use data or make phone calls. Is there a feature for this?
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone Question [Dixie Normus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they're too young to realize how to change the settings, you could put it on airplane mode and then enable wifi. That would only allow a wifi connection.

Removing the sim card might also work. I'm not sure if that would entirely disable the phone, but I believe it wouldn't and would still allow wifi use.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone Question [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just handed down my old 4S to my son with no sim card. Phone does everything like normal when on wifi, email, imessage, take photos etc. Just no cell connection for calls or using data off the cell network.

Just test with taking out the sim card before they go.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone Question [Dixie Normus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just turn off roaming.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone Question [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to confirm that. Thanks! I'll actually likely be doing this with my son soon enough then. I guess that means they could also still make wifi calls with something like Google Voice, Skype, or Facetime as well.

Where was this stuff when I was a kid? I still remember typing on word processors, using floppy disks, it being a big deal when I could just email a paper to my professors.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone Question [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
I just handed down my old 4S to my son with no sim card. Phone does everything like normal when on wifi, email, imessage, take photos etc. Just no cell connection for calls or using data off the cell network.

Just test with taking out the sim card before they go.

Great idea, thanks!
Quote Reply