Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your Smartphone Reduces Your Brainpower
Quote | Reply
Even if it's just sitting there with you in the same room and turned off. And the brain-draining effects are strongest for those who depend on their devices.

Really, I'm getting to the point where I can't even remember what it was like not to have a cell- or smartphone, and it wasn't all that relatively long ago when none of us had these things to run our lives. ;-)

"A smartphone can tax its user’s cognition simply by sitting next to them on a table, or being anywhere in the same room with them, suggests a study published recently in the Journal of the Association for Consumer Research. It finds that a smartphone can demand its user’s attention even when the person isn’t using it or consciously thinking about it. Even if a phone’s out of sight in a bag, even if it’s set to silent, even if it’s powered off, its mere presence will reduce someone’s working memory and problem-solving skills.

These effects are strongest for people who depend on their smartphones, such as those who affirm a statement like, “I would have trouble getting through a normal day without my cell phone.”

But few people also know they’re paying this cognitive smartphone tax as it plays out. Few participants in the study reported feeling distracted by their phone during the exam, even if the data suggested their attention was not at full capacity."

Your Smartphone Can Reduce Your Brainpower, Even If It's Just Sitting There - The Atlantic

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Your Smartphone Reduces Your Brainpower [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Journal of the Association for Consumer Research

Sounds legit....

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Your Smartphone Reduces Your Brainpower [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Journal of the Association for Consumer Research

Sounds legit....

Hey, it's a "Journal." That means it has "peer review" and all that other "Journal-y" stuff. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That explains the Millennial generation.

big kahuna wrote:
Even if it's just sitting there with you in the same room and turned off. And the brain-draining effects are strongest for those who depend on their devices.

Really, I'm getting to the point where I can't even remember what it was like not to have a cell- or smartphone, and it wasn't all that relatively long ago when none of us had these things to run our lives. ;-)

"A smartphone can tax its user’s cognition simply by sitting next to them on a table, or being anywhere in the same room with them, suggests a study published recently in the Journal of the Association for Consumer Research. It finds that a smartphone can demand its user’s attention even when the person isn’t using it or consciously thinking about it. Even if a phone’s out of sight in a bag, even if it’s set to silent, even if it’s powered off, its mere presence will reduce someone’s working memory and problem-solving skills.

These effects are strongest for people who depend on their smartphones, such as those who affirm a statement like, “I would have trouble getting through a normal day without my cell phone.”

But few people also know they’re paying this cognitive smartphone tax as it plays out. Few participants in the study reported feeling distracted by their phone during the exam, even if the data suggested their attention was not at full capacity."

Your Smartphone Can Reduce Your Brainpower, Even If It's Just Sitting There - The Atlantic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a cell phone and it's getting to the point where it's getting difficult. So many places have "apps" to use. The new parking meters on our street require a smart phone, I don't think you can even use cash. In the coffee shop I go to, the barista said I am one of a few who actually pay in cash, some using debit cards and a majority using another app and swipe.

They call them smart phones but with everyone walking around looking at their screens all day, I think they make you dumb.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Smartphone Reduces Your Brainpower [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I don't own a cell phone and it's getting to the point where it's getting difficult. So many places have "apps" to use. The new parking meters on our street require a smart phone, I don't think you can even use cash. In the coffee shop I go to, the barista said I am one of a few who actually pay in cash, some using debit cards and a majority using another app and swipe.

They call them smart phones but with everyone walking around looking at their screens all day, I think they make you dumb.

Truer words were never spoken. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More on the smartphone phenomenon:

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

"But the allure of independence, so powerful to previous generations, holds less sway over today’s teens, who are less likely to leave the house without their parents. The shift is stunning: 12th-graders in 2015 were going out less often than eighth-graders did as recently as 2009…

Even driving, a symbol of adolescent freedom inscribed in American popular culture, from Rebel Without a Cause to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, has lost its appeal for today’s teens. Nearly all Boomer high-school students had their driver’s license by the spring of their senior year; more than one in four teens today still lack one at the end of high school. For some, Mom and Dad are such good chauffeurs that there’s no urgent need to drive. “My parents drove me everywhere and never complained, so I always had rides,” a 21-year-old student in San Diego told me. “I didn’t get my license until my mom told me I had to because she could not keep driving me to school.” She finally got her license six months after her 18th birthday. In conversation after conversation, teens described getting their license as something to be nagged into by their parents—a notion that would have been unthinkable to previous generations."

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? - The Atlantic

I do know this: all (and I do mean ALL) of our employees of that generational cohort absolutely have their heads down in their smartphones whenever they're not actively engaged in their work assignments. When they take their lunches, they take their food over to the tables and then their heads go back down in their smartphones, which are held in one hand while the other hand shovels food into their mouths.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just spent 2 weeks in Provence and the attitudes there towards cell phones is vastly different. very few phones on the tables at lunch and dinner, and people walking looking at stuff...
We ended up not getting any coverage and just use wifi at the place we rented and it was awesome to not have a phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Smartphone Reduces Your Brainpower [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
We just spent 2 weeks in Provence and the attitudes there towards cell phones is vastly different. very few phones on the tables at lunch and dinner, and people walking looking at stuff...
We ended up not getting any coverage and just use wifi at the place we rented and it was awesome to not have a phone.

That's because the French still know how to live life, mon ami. :-)

Quote Reply